• FU vs. ETSU (Semifinals March 4th 6:30pm)

#801  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am
Take nothing away from Alex Hunter...Furman had three talented point guards this season...It just so happened it was Furman's deepest position, perhaps...I know Hunter is an outstanding defender, and maybe that had something to do with him being No.2 and Jean No. 3 in the pecking order...But Jean is extremely quick and I never thought he was a bad defender...I just think it had to have been tough for Bob Richey to make that decision between No. 2 and No. 3.
FU03times liked this
 #833  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:05 pm
AllKnighter wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:43 am
fufanatic wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm
I fully expect us to purchase another post-season tourney bid. That will enable Bob Richey to claim a school record 3rd consecutive post-season appearance. I was appalled to to see the recent post-season appearances compared (see Feb. 20 Senior Day Paladin Points) to the teams of the 70's that played in the NCAA tourney. Give me a break, we are not close to those great teams. Same goes for 4-year win totals. The 2018 class lost 11 more games than any of the 8 teams that they were compared to. I'll have to check to see how many times we beat the likes of Bob Jones, Montreat and Piedmont International back in the 70's and early 80's.
While we may “purchase” a post season tourney bid, that’s effectively what we did in the 70s too. Except back then the bags full of cash went to the players not the tourney organizers.

When Tates Locke says he lost some high profile recruits to FU because “Furman paid more”, we really need to reassess that era.
GOAT, FU69 liked this
 #835  by apaladin
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Just a word on comparing the '70's and early 80's teams to current, you have to consider that back in the day you could only play 25 games and if there were cupcakes they were few and far between. I remember ACC, SEC, Big 10 teams regularly visiting the old auditorium.

Speaking of teams in the tourney, did you see the end of the of the Charleston/Northeastern game? NE had a 5 point lead with 40 seconds left and fouled a 3 point shooter and gave COFC 3 points then with 17 seconds left NE was called for traveling on a grandstand call by a ref. Bad call, then COFC of course ties it and wins in OT. NE has to be sick. Always pull against COFC, hated to see NE blow it.
 #842  by furman86
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am
So so proud of what these four guys did....People don't understand how bad the program had gotten before these four arrived...Croone, Acox, Ferrara and Wideman should also not be forgotten for their contributions to the re-emergence of Furman basketball...Honestly, I meet a lot of athletes around this league, and most all of them are great people, but by and large, the Furman student-athletes are the ones that ask how you are doing as a person instead of the other way around...They listen to advice and they genuinely care...It makes it hard for folks that report and try and be unbias...lol...But the fact you can't ignore is that these kids these coaches recruit are truly special...Like I feel like I could ask any of these four seniors for something or let's say I had a dead car battery or something, and they would help me out...They served, they listened and they're are just good good people...I don't want to cover big-time college athletics because of guys like these...Not saying that big-time programs don't have good people at all...not my point...What I am saying is, there's something pure about mid-major basketball and the SoCon...With all that has gone on in the news for big-time programs lately, it's refreshing to cover guys like this and a league like this...It's also hard when they lose, and that means you might not have a chance to cover them again as student-athletes...I hope Furman accepts a postseason appearance...These guys deserve to try for a 24th win and a school record.

Seconded, especially in honor of the 4 seniors
 #852  by MNORM
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:33 pm
Just a word on comparing the '70's and early 80's teams to current, you have to consider that back in the day you could only play 25 games and if there were cupcakes they were few and far between. I remember ACC, SEC, Big 10 teams regularly visiting the old auditorium.

Speaking of teams in the tourney, did you see the end of the of the Charleston/Northeastern game? NE had a 5 point lead with 40 seconds left and fouled a 3 point shooter and gave COFC 3 points then with 17 seconds left NE was called for traveling on a grandstand call by a ref. Bad call, then COFC of course ties it and wins in OT. NE has to be sick. Always pull against COFC, hated to see NE blow it.
My feelings were just the opposite. Last thing I wanted to see was a team we beat by double digits earlier in the season (Northeastern) make the dance.
 #854  by tim
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:52 pm
Someone said they expected us to buy into the post season. I wouldn’t be too sure about that.
So just why would you say that? You being one of the very few that actually support the program.
 #858  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Tim,

My comment was simply to say that I was not sure the team wants to go to the post season, especially the seniors. I just meant I did not think it was a sure thing that we would accept an invite.

Selfishly, I would love to see them play again.
FU69 liked this
 #859  by CharlieFU
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 pm
tim wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 am
CharlieFU wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:52 pm
Someone said they expected us to buy into the post season. I wouldn’t be too sure about that.
So just why would you say that? You being one of the very few that actually support the program.
See my response.

As for my being “one of the very few who support the program”—-I’m not sure what that is supposed to mean. I do support it as do many others. I hope for more to support it. Which is why I am a Roundball member, served on the steering committee for the golf tournament fundraiser and a season ticket holder.

If you are local, I would invite you to message me and we can discuss ways you can become “one of the very few” who support the program.
MNORM, Paladin82 liked this
 #877  by Fessor
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
AllKnighter wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
I fully expect us to purchase another post-season tourney bid. That will enable Bob Richey to claim a school record 3rd consecutive post-season appearance. I was appalled to to see the recent post-season appearances compared (see Feb. 20 Senior Day Paladin Points) to the teams of the 70's that played in the NCAA tourney. Give me a break, we are not close to those great teams. Same goes for 4-year win totals. The 2018 class lost 11 more games than any of the 8 teams that they were compared to. I'll have to check to see how many times we beat the likes of Bob Jones, Montreat and Piedmont International back in the 70's and early 80's.

While we may “purchase” a post season tourney bid, that’s effectively what we did in the 70s too. Except back then the bags full of cash went to the players not the tourney organizers.

When Tates Locke says he lost some high profile recruits to FU because “Furman paid more”, we really need to reassess that era.
And yet Clemson was put on probation and I don't recall anything about FU having similar issues.
Reassess all you like. It was a glorious time to be a FU supporter. It was money well spent.
AllKnighter, FU69 liked this
 #879  by FUBeAR
 Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:19 pm
Paul C wrote:
AllKnighter wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

Nah...don’t want to reassess...very happy with my memories from those days...FU beat UNC & NC State on back-to-back nights the weekend after I signed with FU as a Raleigh, NC HS kid. Then watching Bruce Grimm (on my Recruiting visit), Stitch Moore, the Daniel brothers, Ronald White, Dale Crowe, Michael Hunt, George Singleton, et al gettin’ after it vs. numerous ACC Teams, DePaul, etc.

Nope, I’m good.
Fessor, FU69 liked this
 #883  by GOAT
 Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 am
Fessor wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm
Paul C wrote:
AllKnighter wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

And yet Clemson was put on probation and I don't recall anything about FU having similar issues.
Reassess all you like. It was a glorious time to be a FU supporter. It was money well spent.
We won a few basketball games and we cheated big time. It was not glorious. It was sad.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.