• Coach Richey

#8584  by CharlieFU
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:20 am
It’s interesting to see others noticing Coach Richey’s success, since it means they are noticing Furman.

Read a twitter thread in which original question was who will replace Danny Manning at Wake Forest if he is fired.

Coach DMV
@CoachDMV
Replying to
@CoachingChanges
Furmans coach? Fits academic/finding hidden gems type of guy. Culture builder like Dabo. Young but could be a home run.
 #8586  by tim
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:53 am
" Academic/finding the gems kind of guy" could be a better fit at Furman than anywhere else but I'm sure money will talk as it usually does. Just a thought but we might have a better chance at keeping him than a guy like Medved.
furpop16 liked this
 #8587  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:24 am
I'm not going to stress about it and let whatever happens happens. I'm just happy Furman has a well-regarded coach.

I do not know Richey personally nor can I speak to his future aspirations. I do see one major difference between he and Medved, though: Richey has deep ties to South Carolina. He grew up in the state, spent his entire basketball career as a player and coach there, and went to college in Greenville. I also understand that his wife is from Greenville.

Again, that may not mean much, but I expect it counts for something.
QCGlue, furpop16, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #8589  by Fessor
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
... Culture builder like Dabo. ....
We used to call it the "$100 handshake".

"Culture building" sounds so much more refined and sophisticated. Yeah, culture building, that's what Dabo's doing. Culture building. ;)
Last edited by Fessor on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #8591  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Knowing Bob a little bit I would say we have a good shot at keeping him IF we can continue to invest in the program and reward him reasonably. He's a little less money motivated, although like is true for all of us, at some point you can't turn down the right opportunity. I get the sense he's playing the long game and would pass up some short term gains in the interest of building something here that would allow him to make a substantial jump when the time comes.
Bootie, FUKA61, underjack and 3 others liked this
 #8620  by ccoates
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:35 am
Fessor wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:49 pm
CharlieFU wrote:
... Culture builder like Dabo. ....
We used to call it the "$100 handshake".

"Culture building" sounds so much more refined and sophisticated. Yeah, culture building, that's what Dabo's doing. Culture building. ;)

Are we talking CULTURE in the academic sense? Or culture in the medical sense. E.G. pre and post game cultures by the medical staff
 #8622  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:22 pm
Knowing Bob a little bit I would say we have a good shot at keeping him IF we can continue to invest in the program and reward him reasonably. He's a little less money motivated, although like is true for all of us, at some point you can't turn down the right opportunity. I get the sense he's playing the long game and would pass up some short term gains in the interest of building something here that would allow him to make a substantial jump when the time comes.
Would very much love to not lose another coach to a fellow mid-major like we did with NM. I would respect BR forever if he won some titles and some NCAA games at Furman and only then moved up to a power conference school.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.