• FURMAN NSD 19

#8515  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am
I know there was some concern over the QB position, but it appears we are taking at least two PWOs at the position - Bynum and Bir (from Texas).
I don't think that walk-on freshmen provide much in the way of meaningful 2019 depth.
 #8523  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:33 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I know there was some concern over the QB position, but it appears we are taking at least two PWOs at the position - Bynum and Bir (from Texas).
I don't think that walk-on freshmen provide much in the way of meaningful 2019 depth.
That is a pretty broad statement. Baker Mayfield was a notable true freshman walkon.

I think Furman would ideally like to be turning to a junior starter in 2019, but absent a transfer player, that isn't likely going to happen. That is not necessarily the fault of this coaching staff.

If you look back, a few years ago Furman had Hannon, Blazejowski, and Roberts lined up. They did not take a QB in the 2015 class and then took Avery Armstrong in 2016, who this staff moved to WR. They then redshirted both guys from the 2017 class. So, there is a gap.

Realistically, the coaching staff really seems to like our options at QB. Granted, I think we'd all feel more comfortable with a more veteran player, but if we went into the season with Grainger and Sisson, we'd be fine.

Of course, if this was heading into the 2017 season where Furman was not expected to do much, I'd feel differently about letting a freshman QB learn through growing pains. In 2019, I think we have a ton of offensive talent and it will be difficult to watch as a fan to "break in" a new QB on a team that expects to be in the post season.
MNORM liked this
 #8524  by youwouldno
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
That is a pretty broad statement. Baker Mayfield was a notable true freshman walkon.

I think Furman would ideally like to be turning to a junior starter in 2019, but absent a transfer player, that isn't likely going to happen. That is not necessarily the fault of this coaching staff.

If you look back, a few years ago Furman had Hannon, Blazejowski, and Roberts lined up. They did not take a QB in the 2015 class and then took Avery Armstrong in 2016, who this staff moved to WR. They then redshirted both guys from the 2017 class. So, there is a gap.

Realistically, the coaching staff really seems to like our options at QB. Granted, I think we'd all feel more comfortable with a more veteran player, but if we went into the season with Grainger and Sisson, we'd be fine.

Of course, if this was heading into the 2017 season where Furman was not expected to do much, I'd feel differently about letting a freshman QB learn through growing pains. In 2019, I think we have a ton of offensive talent and it will be difficult to watch as a fan to "break in" a new QB on a team that expects to be in the post season.

Baker Mayfield was a 3-star recruit that turned down multiple FBS offers because he wanted to play in the Big 12. His immediate success was nonetheless extremely unusual, even for scholarship players. Comparing him to Furman's walk-on QBs is just ridiculous. Those guys might well have long-term potential, at QB or another position, but for 2019 they add very little from a QB depth standpoint.

It certainly appears that the coaching staff is happy going into 2019 with two scholarship QBs, both red-shirt freshmen. As I said before, I think it's an interesting strategy, because I can't recall seeing another team stand pat in that situation.

Wynn and Watkins might very well do enough gashing that Furman lands in the playoffs, without a seed (and by extension, without any home games due to lack of $$$), even in the absence of good QB play. Expectations have gotten so low that Hendrix would be praised for that outcome. But with good QB play, the ceiling is a lot higher . . . if it were me, I'd do anything I could to increase the odds of the latter.
 #8525  by Yadkin
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Yes, appearances and reality can sometimes take the same road, other times not. Do you know for certain if Furman has tried to recruit (or not) a scholarship QB given Lincoln's apparent post-season decision to depart the program? Word I got is yes, but i can imagine it's not the easiest of tasks to jump in to a full-fledged recruiting battle for a QB in late November. Not saying it's impossible, but I can't imagine it being easy. Plus, I know for a fact that the last thing this staff wants to do is sink $250K into a QB they aren't completely sold on just to get a third scholarship QB on the roster. A lot of FU kids know the value of their scholarship, and FU has a way of holding coaches to their scholarship commitments. As for the suggestion of lowered expectations, considering where this program was three 3-4 years ago and its overall state over the last decade-plus, I'm pretty happy we've headed into the regular season finale the last two seasons playing for a conference championship.
AstroDin, FUKA61, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #8527  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:13 am
Yadkin wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:32 pm
Yes, appearances and reality can sometimes take the same road, other times not.

Do you know for certain if Furman has tried to recruit (or not) a scholarship QB given Lincoln's apparent post-season decision to depart the program?

Word I got is yes, but i can imagine it's not the easiest of tasks to jump in to a full-fledged recruiting battle for a QB in late November. Not saying it's impossible, but I can't imagine it being easy. Plus, I know for a fact that the last thing this staff wants to do is sink $250K into a QB they aren't completely sold on just to get a third scholarship QB on the roster. A lot of FU kids know the value of their scholarship, and FU has a way of holding coaches to their scholarship commitments. As for the suggestion of lowered expectations, considering where this program was three 3-4 years ago and its overall state over the last decade-plus, I'm pretty happy we've headed into the regular season finale the last two seasons playing for a conference championship.
Your post has merit and you have good points. But it does miss on one point - From what I hear and possibly surmise... I'll say Lincoln probably wasn't fully a POST-season decision.

I wish Lincoln the best and always appreciate the Citadel win !!! :D :D :D
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #8528  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:25 am
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal, you know your stuff. So you know Baker mayfield is the VAST VAST exception to a larger rule. Probably one in a hundred. Turned down a lot of Big FBS offers. He was just an "Oklahoma-level walk-on". He was Not a general college football walk-on.
Like Luke Maye playing great basketball at UNC who had offers to play basketball at Clemson and Notre Dame etc! . They call him a walk-on and even my UNC friends admit it's just a good news story ... A "feel-good" narrative. they had a scholarship for him pretty soon at UNC that was waiting for him . That's NOT a jab at Luke Maye AT ALL. My Point is just these are greatly varying degrees of "walk-on"

If one of our PWO QBs had multiple FCS offers I would be interested to know ... Did they?
 #8529  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:43 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:25 am
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Jackal, you know your stuff. So you know Baker mayfield is the VAST VAST exception to a larger rule. Probably one in a hundred. Turned down a lot of Big FBS offers. He was just an "Oklahoma-level walk-on". He was Not a general college football walk-on.
Like Luke Maye playing great basketball at UNC who had offers to play basketball at Clemson and Notre Dame etc! . They call him a walk-on and even my UNC friends admit it's just a good news story ... A "feel-good" narrative. they had a scholarship for him pretty soon at UNC that was waiting for him . That's NOT a jab at Luke Maye AT ALL. My Point is just these are greatly varying degrees of "walk-on"

If one of our PWO QBs had multiple FCS offers I would be interested to know ... Did they?
Sure he's an exception to the rule. But that's the point, isn't it?

As a current example, Ryan Deluca was a walkon former high school QB. Deluca played a ton as a true freshman, started some games, and is now one of our top WRs. I don't have any idea if he had any scholarship offers.

There is not a foolproof strategy in recruiting. You hit on some guys, you miss on some guys.
 #8621  by paladinduece
 Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm
Anybody know if Slay is scheduled to take an official at this point. Have seen he is going on one to UMass not sure about Southern
 #8635  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:07 pm

6-1/215 LB - shows offer from FU on 12/3 - ‘offered’ by PC in May. Didn’t see any additional offers on his Twitter feed.
 #8645  by The Jackal
 Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 pm
Using our unscientific formula related to twitter, I presume this is a PWO offer.

Certainly looks like a strong player with good size.
 #8680  by AstroDin
 Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:06 am
Schroeder looks like a solid under-the-radar pickup. https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4949749/5c ... 0968aea4d2

Big kid, high motor, good tackler.
seems to have a nose for the football - always around the ball - picks up loose balls. I agree under the radar - played for a very good high school team that made it all the way to the state finals.
 #8746  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 am
paladinduece wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:07 pm
Anybody know if Slay is scheduled to take an official at this point. Have seen he is going on one to UMass not sure about Southern
Has he taken an official to Furman? I assumed so since he committed to us ...
 #8777  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:31 pm
So in summary -
UPDATED as of 1/7/2019

SIGNED IN DECEMBER-
DEFENSE
Jack Barton, DE 6'4 225. Centennial High School. 20 offers / 8 FBS
Devonte Jones. DL/NG 6'2. 307. TL Hanna 9 offers / 4 FBS
Jalen Miller. LB. 5'11 200. Byrnes. 7 offers
Austin Jones. Safety. 5'11. 180. Rabun County HS. 12 offers / 2 FBS

Offense?defense ?
Bryce McCormick. LB /TE. 6'2. 218. Christ Presbyterian, TN. 15 offers / 12 basketball offers as PG

OFFENSE
Jacob Johanning OL. 6'3. 260. Saint Joseph SC.
Evan Jumper. OL. 6'4 240. Myrtle beach HS 19 offers / 12 FBS offers
Pearson Toomey. OL. 6'3 250. Bolles school, FL. 7 offers / 4 FBS
Dominic Roberto. RB. 5'11. 230. Pine Forest NC.

( PWOs, Jackson Soapes is in, position? Luke Bynum at QB... Nick Vivona position? )

* THREE full ride players will enroll early in January at Furman.
- Austin Jones (Safety), Evan Jumper (OL), and Jalen Miller (LB)
---------------------

MISSES - I like to see how these guys do:
-DB Keyvaun Cobb from Asheville signed with Wofford
-Tahir Anoor, safety/ DB?? Brother of Aquil Anoor from us. Went to Wofford
- LB Veneziale de-committed from us. Where did he go?
- Josh Slay,de-committed from us. Where did he go? Top rated (LB)
----------------------

Questions / guys w offers from us-

From Paul... "Guy we would love to have and these two have verbally committed,
- Chizic DB from Alabama. (DB)
- Jake Kimmelman (WR or DB)

Guys I was wondering about coming into today.... haven't committed and we offered.
- OLB Josh Agbenou didn't appear to sign but has picked up offers from Colo St, Western Ky, Kent St, UMass this week
- OLB Micheal Mason Florence SC didn't appear to sign with anyone
- DB Daiveon Carrington didn't appear to sign with anyone
- RB Wayne Anderson, Jr from Texas didn't appear to sign with anyone
 #8780  by Paul C
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 pm
Veneziale went to Ga St

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.