• FURMAN NSD 19

#8254  by Flagman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 pm
We had five 5th year seniors who only took one course last semester and who will graduate in a couple of days.
dornb liked this
 #8259  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:03 pm
Flag, Thank you! .

So if I am reading that right some guys who list themselves as Football 'seniors' and who are on full scholarship may return for one more year?

Some are football true seniors (NOT redshirt seniors ) and could elect to stay for one more year at Furman because they never redshirted, is that right? And would still be on scholarship that final year?
 #8260  by FUPlayer74
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm
Clay said today that we had 5 seniors on one scholarship.
Flag, This may be dumb but are you saying we have 5 guys sharing one scholarship total.
I.E. if evenly divided they would each get 20% of a Full ride ?
Come on man. You know by now that FCS teams can give partial scholarships!
 #8261  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Flag, This may be dumb but are you saying we have 5 guys sharing one scholarship total.
LOL. I know that. What I had never heard was a quote of '5 guys are sharing one scholarship !" Like I said, all my friends had quarters and halves... not 20%-type set ups.

In any case, one thing did surprise me recently. Never thought of this .

Someone told me this - Let's say player 'X' never really plays and is a true senior (NOT a redshirt). He Never saw the field. I always figured that guy was graduating and then the scholarship frees up. Someone mentioned that player 'X' can opt to return for their 5th year (I guess using that 5th year as a redshirt??) and the scholarship may not free up until after that 5th year. Sounds plausible because the full ride scholarship offer is not based on whether you ever play and to my knowledge is not conditional in any way

Curious, Is this the case? Can a player who is given a full ride out of high school and never redshirts and never plays opt to come back and use his scholarship for a 5th year? One guy said yes. Another told me that he hadn't heard of that
 #8291  by FUPlayer74
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
LOL. I know that. What I had never heard was a quote of '5 guys are sharing one scholarship !" Like I said, all my friends had quarters and halves... not 20%-type set ups.

Someone told me this - Let's say player 'X' never really plays and is a true senior (NOT a redshirt). He Never saw the field. I always figured that guy was graduating and then the scholarship frees up. Someone mentioned that player 'X' can opt to return for their 5th year (I guess using that 5th year as a redshirt??) and the scholarship may not free up until after that 5th year. Sounds plausible because the full ride scholarship offer is not based on whether you ever play and to my knowledge is not conditional in any way

Curious, Is this the case? Can a player who is given a full ride out of high school and never redshirts and never plays opt to come back and use his scholarship for a 5th year? One guy said yes. Another told me that he hadn't heard of that
Since scholarships now are awarded on a yearly renewal, I would think in the case you presented, the player would not be offered another year on scholarship.
FUBeAR liked this
 #8306  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:32 pm
First of all if he hasn't played in 4 years, why would he still be on scholarship and if you haven't played in 4 years why would you want to come back?
 #8307  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
First of all if he hasn't played in 4 years, why would he still be on scholarship and if you haven't played in 4 years why would you want to come back?
I've read a lot of head scratching stuff on here over the years. This might take the cake.
Paul C liked this
 #8319  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 pm
apaladin wrote:

1). First of all if he hasn't played in 4 years, why would he still be on scholarship ?

2) and if you haven't played in 4 years why would you want to come back?
I've read a lot of head scratching stuff on here over the years. This might take the cake.
LOL.

They both make sense- Answers below

1). You would still be on scholarship because we aren't Alabama who pushes kids out. When I said 'hasn't played in four years' I meant he is working out and practicing etc and doing everything required but doesn't see the field during games as he hasn't developed or whatever. If you think those kids aren't on scholarship you aren't paying attention. I know two THIS YEAR who never played and were still on a full ride. Again, Furman is classy and if we give a scholarship it's yours and if a kid doesn't pan out we don't yank the scholarship

2). You can come back to take FREE college courses. That's why you would do it. Someone who knows more than I said it could possibly happen from time to time at Furman. It's simple $$$. Work towards your graduate degree for free !!

Now per what 74 said (scholarships are annual) maybe the second answer doesn't apply anymore. But I do know at least two guys were on full rides THIS year and never saw any game action.. Or maybe ONCE on special teams
 #8320  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:02 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUPlayer74 wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Since scholarships now are awarded on a yearly renewal, I would think in the case you presented, the player would not be offered another year on scholarship.
74, Thanks for your logical answer. Not sure why it was hard for some to grasp.

People very close to the program told me this used to happen
 #8477  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:23 pm
Anybody else notice this little tidbit about Jack Barton in the NSD writeup?
Chose Furman from among 20 scholarship offers, including eight from FBS programs...committed to Furman on July 14, 2018...projected 2019 graduate of Centennial (6A) High School...football coach was Michael Perry...saw duty at eight positions during his prep career: defensive end, punter, outside linebacker, middle linebacker, tight end, fullback, nose guard, and defensive tackle...career statistics include 75 tackles (19 tackles for-loss), 14 sacks, six blocks field goals, and three blocked punts...served as team captain and earned second team all-region honors in 2018.
9 blocked kicks? That's incredible.
FUKA61, dornb, Paul C and 2 others liked this
 #8504  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:19 pm
Not sure if or when Furman plans to announce PWO's that signed - at least one did, Jackson Soapes.

and a few more have committed:

#8505  by AstroDin
 Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:26 pm
Devonté Jones signing day tweet, I missed this one.

#8506  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 am
Thanks Astro

What position do the first two play? I assume Bynum is a QB obviously :D
 #8509  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 am
I know there was some concern over the QB position, but it appears we are taking at least two PWOs at the position - Bynum and Bir (from Texas).
 #8510  by AstroDin
 Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:04 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:39 am
Thanks Astro

What position do the first two play? I assume Bynum is a QB obviously :D
Vivona plays Center and NG. My guess is he'll play center for Furman.
Bynum IMO is a really good athlete - pre-Wheeler and Nash coming to SJCS the Knights ran a spread offense, I was impressed with how quickly Bynum picked up the option offense. Bynum is a smart kid and had the means to go to any school as a pre-med student I think. He picked Furman over Wofford. I could see Bynum get a shot battling Hardin and Bir for the 3rd QB spot. Bynum runs well so he could also play the slot or a DB.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:18 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.