• Furman at Mercer, 2/7

#84798  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:27 pm
furmandad wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:25 pm
Rebounding is often about desire and hustle vs size.
This. We get our hands on just about every rebound and fail to secure just about every one of them. Between that and the poor passes, I'm tired of watching us play volleyball.
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #84799  by HammerTKE
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:32 pm
I agree with everyone's comments. From the beginning, Furman's body language and energy level was uninspiring. I know he's fallen out of the rotation, but I'd like to see Molnar get more minutes. I don't know who needs to sit as a result, but Molnar brings energy and toughness on the court, two things we've been sorely lacking in our losses.
 #84800  by furpop16
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:36 pm
CBR: "A pathetic, pitiful performance."

I hope they get their act together in time for national TV audience this weekend.
 #84802  by fu77fan
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:42 pm
My thoughts
Ugly
Sloppy
Awful
Horrendous

CBR
Uninspiring
Pathetic
Pitiful

I think that about sums up the performance tonight!!
 #84803  by purplehorse123
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:47 pm
fu77fan wrote:
My thoughts
Ugly
Sloppy
Awful
Horrendous

CBR
Uninspiring
Pathetic
Pitiful

Yes one thing I love about CBR is he calls a spade a spade (“a pitiful & pathetic performance”) and largely blames himself (which is mainly not true). He does not “sugar coat” things.
 #84804  by Jasper
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 pm
Looks to me like a reality check is in order for all Furman hoops fans. We are simply not a good team. We are mired in the middle of the SoCon and trending lower. The fact is that are players are not regressing from last year at all. They were made better by the presence of Slawson and Bothwell who were outstanding players in their extra college year. Teams focused on them and made some of the others look better than they are. Not their fault. They are what they are. We have not recruited very well in the last few years and that is showing. The coach is not a miracle worker who is building a strong program to compete for the league championship and beyond. Last year was great fun but it was unfortunately an outlier. The future is not looking promising at this moment either. College basketball is changing dramatically right now and we need to figure it out if dreams of relevance are to be pursued. I ‘d stop watching what Dabo is doing and pay attention to what Clay Hendrix is doing. His combination of bringing in several transfers/grad students in key positions plus recruiting college level ready freshmen has made Furman a legitimate national presence in the last two years with a bright future as well. Right now our football program appears light years ahead of basketball.
Last edited by Jasper on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bj93 liked this
 #84805  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 pm
Clay Henderson? Reminder we have 2 transfers in our top 7

I would however agree that our roster needs some work this offseason. Hope we can hang onto JP and Marcus for one more year.
 #84806  by apaladin
I do not mind losing games like Sunday because there was a good effort, but losng solely because of lack of effort like tonight is really bad and hard to understand. Does this team have to get their energy and effort from a home crowd? Sure looks that way and that is hard to imagine that you can’t get yourself mentally ready to play a college basketball game regardless of location,
dornb liked this
 #84807  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:53 pm
fu77fan wrote:
My thoughts
Ugly
Sloppy
Awful
Horrendous

CBR
Uninspiring
Pathetic
Pitiful

You forgot another from CBR: unacceptable. :lol:
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #84808  by tim
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:54 pm
Richey said the performance was unacceptable and it's all on him. I tend to agree.
 #84809  by FurmAlum
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:00 pm
We started out OK and were up 7 or 8 points and we missed 5 straight 3 point shots that were all good looks. Other than that the offense was fine in the first half. On defense nobody could stop McCreary which was the bottom line. Maybe we should play a zone.

The second half started out OK too. We were up by 9 points. After that the team defense sucked and the rebounding sucked. On offense we couldn't get a good shot and when we didn't the team panicked and did too much one on one with no teamwork. For some reason we just can't shoot the ball on the road and then we let that affect our defense and ball movement on offense.

So much for my rant. I don't know what to do to solve. This is an experienced team that shouldn't be playing this bad. Maybe it's time for a players only meeting.
 #84810  by Jasper
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
Clay Henderson? Reminder we have 2 transfers in our top 7

I would however agree that our roster needs some work this offseason. Hope we can hang onto JP and Marcus for one more year.
And how are they doing in relation to Huff, Dean, Norman, Schiller etc etc ? So yes I think CCH is an excellent guy to emulate.
 #84811  by Paladin91
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:30 pm
Perhaps it’s just the state of the team, but does anyone else feel that CBR himself seems less connected to the team this year. I know losing/frustration will do that to you, but there were a lot more smiles / confidence from CBR with Slawson and Bothwell last year. Sometimes I feel like CBR is struggling with what’s in front of him.
Jasper liked this
 #84813  by Paladin91
 Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 pm
And who else is responsible for what is in front of if not him?
I’m not suggesting anyone else, with the exception of staff. Improving our defense should be the #1 priority. We sometimes have difficulty playing man. Perhaps we need to change up the D some, or at least apply more half court pressure similar to Samford. Another quality big man will have to wait until next year, assuming we can get one in the portal. However, sometimes I think CBR believes we can get far without an inside presence. So I wonder if that is really that important to him. Time will tell.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.