• An oddity on our roster

#8335  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:51 am
tim wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:28 am
If we are worried about 3rd string, in a pinch they could prolly move the WR (name escapes me) back to qb with Hardin.
It sometimes happens that we are having to scrape the barrell for a starting QB - that certainly happened in 2013 when we were down to fourth string walkons at the position. Ideally, you want depth, but if you are having to play your third stringer, then we are in trouble anyway.

The good news is we have two young QBs the coaching staff clearly likes. If we run a two QB rotation, though, we are going to have to find some bodies at the position.

I'd keep an eye on the recruiting wire and see whether QBs pop up as having scholarship offers. If Lincoln is leaving, it may also change the coaching staffs feeling about the possibility of a transfer player.
 #8336  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am
As mentioned earlier Andrew Brown from Riverside is a safe bet to appear in purple next year. At least according to those who know him well.
 #8349  by JohnW
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
As mentioned earlier Andrew Brown from Riverside is a safe bet to appear in purple next year. At least according to those who know him well.

And let's not overlook Jack Hardin, he was slowed by injuries this year but he played in a similar offense in HS and has two years here.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #8351  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:18 pm
JohnW wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:12 pm
Paul C wrote:

And let's not overlook Jack Hardin, he was slowed by injuries this year but he played in a similar offense in HS and has two years here.
https://recruitgeorgia.com/players/jack ... christian/
 #8352  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm
And to end any speculation that the staff was surprised at Lincoln's decision to leave, or that they are worried about QB depth...this is clarified at the end of Scott Keeler's most recent blog update....

http://www.furmansportsreport.com/
 #8358  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:32 pm
And to end any speculation that the staff was surprised at Lincoln's decision to leave, or that they are worried about QB depth...this is clarified at the end of Scott Keeler's most recent blog update....

http://www.furmansportsreport.com/
Also notable that Keeler reports that Furman intended to move Lincoln to a different position. That is, whether he was on the roster or not, he wasn't likely going to be at QB.

I am pretty confident then that the coaching staff was pretty well advised that they'd go into this week with 3 QBs on the roster given that they did not intend for Lincoln to be at that position next season.
 #8398  by Paladin91
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 am
I watched Furman's coaches presentation at the signing day event on Wednesday. Quarles mentioned in his bit that Furman was losing two QBs on offense - Roberts and Vita.

So, as of Wednesday, our offensive coordinator wasn't mentioning losing 3 QBs.

Did Quarles specifically mention Vita? I don't think Vita ever took a snap. So he may have been referring to Roberts and Lincoln. No knock on Vita.
 #8400  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I watched Furman's coaches presentation at the signing day event on Wednesday. Quarles mentioned in his bit that Furman was losing two QBs on offense - Roberts and Vita.

Per Keeler the coaches knew they wouldn't have Lincoln as a QB this year .. They were moving him. So they can't claim they were 'caught off guard' by his leaving
 #8401  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:38 pm
[quote="Paul C" post_id=8336 time=1545407825 user_id=60]
[/quote]

Is that a Full. scholarship offer guy?
 #8402  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:45 pm
Not sure. Don’t think so. Have a friend whose son played w him at Riverside and said a few times he was going to FU.
 #8403  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:50 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:45 pm
Not sure. Don’t think so. Have a friend whose son played w him at Riverside and said a few times he was going to FU.
Thanks. We could use the depth for sure
 #8404  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:03 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Did Quarles specifically mention Vita? I don't think Vita ever took a snap. So he may have been referring to Roberts and Lincoln. No knock on Vita.
He did.

Believe it or not, I think Vita played in most of our games. He was the holder.
 #8409  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:03 am
Disappointed.

I had high hopes for Lincoln as a QB for Furman. Thought he did a pretty good job when he played & thought I saw the potential for him to grow into being a strong QB. But, I am not at practice, nor in meeting/film rooms. I may/may not have posted about it here, but when I watched the post-bellhop-vanquishing interview of Coach Hendrix, I just didn’t get a good feeling about Lincoln’s future as a QB at FU. Nothing at all in the words CCH said pointed to that, but it’s quite often telling when you ‘listen between the lines’ when HC’s & OC’s are talking about their QB’s.

Oh well...at least FUBeAR got a chance to meet (Uncle) Mel Blount & pose for a picture with him. Now if I could figure out how to crop Fred Garvin out of that pic, I would frame it. I can trim it up, but just can’t get all of the nose out...or the biceps.

Also, do wish Mr. Lincoln the best of luck & a bright future. I see he had a lot of Ivy’s Recruiting him out of HS & I think he recently ‘followed’ Davidson Football on Twitter, so I’m sure he’s gonna be ‘all good’ in the future.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUpaladin08, furman88 liked this
 #8533  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:40 am
Perhaps not an "oddity," but it at least appears that we are making a more concerted effort to redshirt players. No question, though, the new redshirt rule definitely helps accomplish that.

By my count, there are 21 players on our roster that did not red-shirt or delay a year of eligibility from another school. 12 of those players are juniors - guys that would have had to play immediately under the new coaching staff.

Currently, the only linemen (both sides) that were not redshirted were Neely, Stokes, and Hodge. I do not know this for a fact, but my guess is that if Neely had been a freshman under the current rules, the staff would have redshirted him too.

That does not necessarily win football games, but I certainly think that is going to have long-term help in developing a deep roster supporting sustained success.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.