• Moving On

#8389  by fu77fan
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:03 pm
We need to forget the LSU game .
We simply did not play well tonight.
And we could not stop their big guys.

Let’s enjoy the holidays and then go win the So Con.

Go Furman
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #8391  by Paladin91
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm
We could use a quality 6'10 big man - hard to find though. Thought maybe we'd use Jalen Williams a bit more against their bigs. We needed to drive more and get them into foul trouble - unfortunately, that didn't seem to be in the game plan. Mounce had a tough night. Thought LSU played good D - think that had a big impact on our productivity. But we were oversized down low and that eventually took its toll.
furpep liked this
 #8392  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:26 pm
And Gurley had a miserable night. With no contribution from Mounce or Gurley we had no chance.

Oh well. Great run, great learning experience and let’s not let this hurt our confidence. Will need to bounce back have a tough game vs ETSU next week.
dornb liked this
 #8393  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:34 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm
We could use a quality 6'10 big man - hard to find though. Thought maybe we'd use Jalen Williams a bit more against their bigs. We needed to drive more and get them into foul trouble - unfortunately, that didn't seem to be in the game plan. Mounce had a tough night. Thought LSU played good D - think that had a big impact on our productivity. But we were oversized down low and that eventually took its toll.
Says every mid-major program in the country.
Paul C, FUBeAR liked this
 #8394  by purplehorse
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:48 pm
I would have chosen a win over LSU vs over ETSU for national exposure if I had to choose one. But now back to the conference, we need to beat ETSU.

I wonder if there was too much pressure on us tonight.

Nobody played super well. Gurley looked like a freshman.

I thought we had played poorly at half and were lucky to be down 4. LSU went from like 14 TO in first half to only 3-4 in second half.

Bottom line: Don’t know any team will win when you get outrebounded 40-22 and lose points in the paint 50-20. We got killed on the boards.
FU03times liked this
 #8396  by PaladinPower
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:06 pm
Poor shooting. Poor rebounding. Terrible assist/TO ratio. All three of those happening is extremely uncharacteristic of this team. Maybe 1 or 2 of those happen, but never all three. It was amazing only being down 4 at half and staying within 11 until the last media.

We couldn’t match up to those big fellas and their guards had Tre Clark’s defense plus some to go along with Devin Sibley’s offensive ability.

Maybe a game at Johnson City without the media bearing down their necks will let them play a little more free.

I honestly would not want to give the satisfaction to a Socon opponent taking down FU as a ranked team, but it was fun - and will continue to be fun watching this TEAM.
dornb, FUKA61 liked this
 #8405  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:07 am
You don't want to make every game a "big game," but getting a road win in Johnson City early in conference play would really set a tone.
dornb, FUKA61 liked this
 #8411  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:05 am
Interesting tidbit from the SEC broadcast last night that I had not heard before (granted, I don't pay much attention).

The SoCon coaches all agreed to play a conference game at the beginning of December and end of December to lessen the crunch on teams in the leadup to the tournament. The SoCon tourny is a week earlier than many of the larger conferences, and an 18 game conference schedule was too much to get in without playing multiple games in a short span.
Fessor liked this
 #8412  by furpep
 Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm
I would prefer the loss at LSU as opposed to ETSU. Hate conference losses, plus a loss to LSU does look better than a loss to ETSU.
FU03times, MNORM liked this
 #8417  by soconjohn
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 am
Most of the SoCon thinks Furman is overrated, particularly Wofford, but I think it's maybe just maybe hoping they are.
 #8422  by gman
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:14 am
I will be okay with a 32-1 record going into the Big Dance.
dornb liked this
 #8423  by Davemeister
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:06 am
furpep wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:43 pm
I would prefer the loss at LSU as opposed to ETSU. Hate conference losses, plus a loss to LSU does look better than a loss to ETSU.
Agreed, but a loss to LSU does not ensure a win over ETSU. It will be another tough road game.
 #8424  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:20 am
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:40 am
Most of the SoCon thinks Furman is overrated, particularly Wofford, but I think it's maybe just maybe hoping they are.

To be truthful it would be hard to argue given our schedule and close wins.
 #8430  by soconjohn
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am
What blowout wins have they had that I am supposed to be impressed with outside ETSU?
 #8435  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:50 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am
What blowout wins have they had that I am supposed to be impressed with outside ETSU?
Well, the SC 20 point win was impressive even though SC is not good, They also beat UNCA by 43 and we beat them by 14, again, against a winless team. The ETSU win was very good.