#8303  by Yadkin
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:51 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:31 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Are you guys seriously telling me Grainger and Sisson are our only QB options for next season????
Are you seriously asking?

Yes 100% I am concerned, neither of those young men showed anything this year to prove they are ready to be a starter on a winning team yet.
And what had Harris Roberts shown prior to 2018 that proved he was ready to QB Furman to a SoCon championship? Good grief.
 #8304  by cavedweller2
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:56 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:40 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:39 pm
I think Grainger is going to be good. Both kids can play. I don’t see the sky falling. The coaches are building a machine.
And I guess sometime after high school Grainger also became immune to any kind of physical ailment?
I can’t answer that. All injuris inquiries are handled by gofurman.
Bootie liked this
 #8305  by Yadkin
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:07 pm
For the record Darren Grainger was a Drew Cronic target...you know the Drew Cronic the resident cloud hunters on this board were invoking midsesson when carving up our offense, an offense that somehow managed to help get us a ring.

Grainger and Sisson both deserve a chance. Would be nice if Lincoln had stayed. Guess that makes Jack Hardin No. 3.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #8308  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:31 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:25 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm
Are you guys seriously telling me Grainger and Sisson are our only QB options for next season????
Are you seriously asking?

Yes 100% I am concerned, neither of those young men showed anything this year to prove they are ready to be a starter on a winning team yet.
Is this based on your observation of their performance on the practice field?
 #8310  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:06 pm
Grainger played a good bit early on, and struggled

I think those of you who are getting defensive about some us being worried about our QB situation consisting of Grainger and Sisson are way off base, anyone being honest knows that is probably not an ideal situation for us, hopefully we are still pursing some other QB's, we need more options come August camp.

I've got nothing left to add to this, just hoping for the best out of it all whatever winds up happening
apaladin, Davemeister liked this
 #8312  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:06 pm
Grainger played a good bit early on, and struggled

I think those of you who are getting defensive about some us being worried about our QB situation consisting of Grainger and Sisson are way off base, anyone being honest knows that is probably not an ideal situation for us, hopefully we are still pursing some other QB's, we need more options come August camp.

I've got nothing left to add to this, just hoping for the best out of it all whatever winds up happening
I will say what I always say. There is a group of folks who are more invested in the success of this program than any of us on this forum times 100 - the coaches and players.

If we need more QBs, I'm sure the coaching staff is going to do what they need to do to get more QBs. Unlike the rest of us, this is their job. They know what the roster situation is and what needs to be done.

At bottom, we have two pretty good looking young QBs. In a perfect world, I'd love it if we could turn the reigns over to a redshirt junior QB who had been sitting and learning the offense for three years. That isn't what we have. In fact, we may not have had that situation since, I think, Renaldo Gray in 2006.
 #8313  by apaladin
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 pm
At bottom, we have two pretty good looking young QBs.
[/quote]

I can buy one but #2 we have no idea about. The problem wth having only 2 QB's is the margin for error is zero. Besides an injury there are other things that could happen such as academics, personal problems etc that could result in a bad situation. I hope both turn out to great but we are way too thin at QB. I am sure CCH and staff are working to fix this.
 #8314  by youwouldno
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 pm
At bottom, we have two pretty good looking young QBs. In a perfect world, I'd love it if we could turn the reigns over to a redshirt junior QB who had been sitting and learning the offense for three years. That isn't what we have. In fact, we may not have had that situation since, I think, Renaldo Gray in 2006.
Yeah, well the results since then don't exactly support your theory that there's no reason to be concerned.
 #8317  by JohnW
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm
The staff has offered Andrew Brown from Riverside HS. My thinking before now is that he was a partial or PWO. Assuming they had a heads up on Lincoln but if not I expect we'll see some recruiting action at QB.
 #8318  by gofurman
 Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:42 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:35 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:29 pm
Interesting strategy to go with 2 scholarship QBs on the roster, both red-shirt freshmen. Can't say that I expect it to work out very well, but we'll see.
I don't think that is our "strategy."

We started a redshirt senior in 2018. The QB taken in the class behind Roberts (or close to it) was Avery Armstrong, who was converted to a WR. Our next QB, JeMar Lincoln, maybe looks to be transferring. Then we have two freshmen.

As I noted on the other thread, if Furman was inclined to take a transfer player at QB, I think this would be the year to do it. Of course, if Grainger is the next Tyrie Adams, then we may not need all of that.
Right. I believe Lincoln is not on the roster and that the roster is correct. Which worries me a little.

The two concerns expressed above are legitimate. Not 'sky is falling' just concerns. Note that as soon as I pointed people to our roster they were surprised. Not just me and AP. LOL

One - are two guys ready as redshirt Freshman to lead a team??? That scares me a little. The difference this year in Harris Roberts and the freshman was large !!.

Two - I hope Grainger and Sisson are surprisingly awesome! That said anyone can get hurt, esp w our offense running the option and QB some. (Even a game or two like w Roberts this year). We lost three QBs a few years back and had to play QB number four. We don't even have a QB four now. That worries me. Seems this would have been THE year to take an elder QB transfer. I am surprised we didn't pursue that.

Seems there would have been someone to come in as a junior and compete.

The play book was very limited when we utilized the freshman last year.

I would LOVE to see us get another QB. Esp a transfer who is a junior
 #8321  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:12 am
Of course it’s not ideal.

Recruiting a HS QB this year would be tough having signed 2 that both red shirted the year before.

And if all you saw of Hamp Sisson was him taking a couple of sacks at Citadel and then going 2 for 3 for 35 yards in mop up duty at VMI, well I think I know of some folks who’ve seen him take ALOT more reps, and frankly they are not concerned. They feel like they have a really high ceiling guy in Grainger, and a solid, reliable guy behind him.

And BTW it’s not like getting an academically qualified transfer qb that fits our system is easy. If even possible.
MNORM liked this
 #8324  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:06 am
JohnW wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:42 pm
Assuming they had a heads up on Lincoln but if not I expect we'll see some recruiting action at QB.
This. Finals just ended last week and it is very possible that the staff just learned of Lincoln's intentions. Still time to move on finding a QB.
 #8326  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 am
I watched Furman's coaches presentation at the signing day event on Wednesday. Quarles mentioned in his bit that Furman was losing two QBs on offense - Roberts and Vita.

So, as of Wednesday, our offensive coordinator wasn't mentioning losing 3 QBs.
 #8333  by tim
 Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:28 am
If we are worried about 3rd string, in a pinch they could prolly move the WR (name escapes me) back to qb with Hardin.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.