• 2024 Recruiting

#82764  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:40 pm
It seems a lot easier and smarter to pick up a transfer who is unhappy with PT at a power 5 school than it is to recruit and develope a high school QB. Kids like that are not looking for NIL money. They want a shot at playing. This looks like the trend in FCS football right now. It also gives the staff the chance to match skill set with staff schemes.
 #82773  by FurmAlum
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:23 pm
I agree with AD. There will be a battle for the QB next year. The new recruit, Hedden, looks really good and N. Garcia might be underestimated and overlooked by us. I'm also high on Jones. Look what he did against Chatty and VMI. My hope is that Jones is ready which would allow Hedden to redshirt and I really don't have any idea how good Garcia is.

The coaches are the only ones who really know and if they don't pursue a transfer QB then we'll know they think Jones is ready. My bet is Jones is ready. If Hedden is better than Jones then we'll have a heck of a QB.

Jackal made the point many months ago that the Furman coaches generally don't recruit over our current productive players and in my opinion taking a QB transfer now would be doing that and we shouldn't do it.
 #82778  by Paul C
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:27 pm
I worry a little that if the coaches thought Jones was as ready as we hoped, that we would have seen him for a few series on Fri night when it became apparent that Huff was a little off, and we couldn’t get the run game going. But just me guessing…
 #82785  by Dins&Heels
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
I worry a little that if the coaches thought Jones was as ready as we hoped, that we would have seen him for a few series on Fri night when it became apparent that Huff was a little off, and we couldn’t get the run game going. But just me guessing…
I would have liked to see that and suggested as much after the VMI game. But I think a coach is rightfully going to be loyal to a player and person like Huff as long as he wants to be in there. Admittedly, Jones didn’t look quite as sharp vs Wofford. Excited to see what Jones can do and expect a good battle with Terry Hedden who is definitely not lacking in confidence and seems like a stud.
 #82787  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:05 pm
Paul C wrote:

Our offense finally opened up a bit late when everyone realized that Pline was a guy Montana was struggling to cover.
 #82788  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:09 pm
Jasper wrote:
It seems a lot easier and smarter to pick up a transfer who is unhappy with PT at a power 5 school than it is to recruit and develope a high school QB. Kids like that are not looking for NIL money. They want a shot at playing. This looks like the trend in FCS football right now. It also gives the staff the chance to match skill set with staff schemes.
That's one way to go, but it's not Furman's way.

I think Furman's doing it the right way - committing to and developing high school kids. Having them work while they wait. Using the portal to plug in older and more experienced players at positions of need.

Very few of Furman's transfer in guys have been P5. They are usually under the radar guys that fit the culture of this program.
 #82791  by Jasper
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

I think Furman's doing it the right way - committing to and developing high school kids. Having them work while they wait. Using the portal to plug in older and more experienced players at positions of need.

Very few of Furman's transfer in guys have been P5. They are usually under the radar guys that fit the culture of this program.
That the practice is a trend in college football is self evident. It doesn’t matter if the transferee is from an actual power 5 school or simply a large FBS school. There are currently QBs all over FCS football who gained experience in various other programs that are doing very well. It may not be “Furman’s way” but we certainly benefited from having Tyler Huff as our QB for the past 2 years. Clearly CH was not secure with Jace Wilson and/or true freshman Carson Jones being his only options for the 2022 season so he recruited Huff. That young man won the position w/o being at spring practice He wasn’t handed the job. That does not mean that FU is going to abandon the idea of developing our own talent forever such as Samford has apparently done. It is simply a viable option for the staff to pursue when deemed necessary. We built a very strong 2 deep using the portal this year in several key positions such as TE, receivers, O and D linemen. Why not a QB under the right circumstances? I think FU is a very attractive school for some student athletes who don’t see the NFL in their future but really want to play ball and not ride the pine somewhere.
 #82792  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:36 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Admittedly, Jones didn’t look quite as sharp vs Wofford.
“quite as sharp”? It was night and day difference between VMI and WC. After VMI silly me had the thought that maybe we should just go with CJ the rest of the way. Hopefully that was just the freshman in him.
Davemeister liked this
 #82816  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:05 am
For those of you not at the game, based on what I saw on the Furman sideline. Jones was ready to go in. Jones was on the sideline with his helmet on the entire game, standing right next to Roper. Jones would step out onto the field during timeouts and media breaks and throw to receivers.

Bootie and I both noted during warmups how on target Jones was with his throws. Last note about Jones: he was throwing and wearing gloves.
 #82825  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:23 am
Jasper wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:29 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Jasper wrote:

That the practice is a trend in college football is self evident. It doesn’t matter if the transferee is from an actual power 5 school or simply a large FBS school. There are currently QBs all over FCS football who gained experience in various other programs that are doing very well. It may not be “Furman’s way” but we certainly benefited from having Tyler Huff as our QB for the past 2 years. Clearly CH was not secure with Jace Wilson and/or true freshman Carson Jones being his only options for the 2022 season so he recruited Huff. That young man won the position w/o being at spring practice He wasn’t handed the job. That does not mean that FU is going to abandon the idea of developing our own talent forever such as Samford has apparently done. It is simply a viable option for the staff to pursue when deemed necessary. We built a very strong 2 deep using the portal this year in several key positions such as TE, receivers, O and D linemen. Why not a QB under the right circumstances? I think FU is a very attractive school for some student athletes who don’t see the NFL in their future but really want to play ball and not ride the pine somewhere.

Listening to Hendrix, I'm not sure they were completely aware of how good Huff could be when he got here.

It would be uncharacteristic for us to put another scholarship QB on the roster. Not saying they won't, but I don't think they'd go look for someone unless that player was a clear better option than what we have in house.
 #82848  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:59 pm
I would be very surprised to see Furman start a True Freshman at QB. But who knows, Hedden may turn out to be a purple-and white version of Armanti Edwards.