Knauber made the all-region team

Jalin Edwards

End of season highlights

Devin Hester Jr

Hester also made all-region
apaladin liked this
 #81767  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:03 am
Finishing up. Fell asleep watching the Idaho/SIU game.

Terry “Trey” Hedden

Senior season highlights

Jeremiah Gavin Hall

No season highlights to post yet (I’m sure it’s going to take a while), but just want to bring it up again that this kid was an all-state QB last year. Went to Gainesville and could likely be an all-state RB this year at the 2nd highest level of football in Georgia. Pretty impressive stuff!

Led all of 6A in total TDs with 28
Rushed for 1606 yards
Had 379 yards receiving
 #82433  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:25 pm
Have some nervous energy and trying to kill some time before the Montana game.

Interview with Jackson Pryor

Gavin Hall wins region player of the year

#82632  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:29 pm
I would hope two back-to-back seasons with a 10-3 record would help recruiting as well as two years in a row of playing two playoff games.
dornb, gofurman liked this
 #82675  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:15 pm
I would hope so. It’s hard to really compare tape from these kids now to guys we were recruiting when Hendrix got here, but I do think the guys we are bringing in now seem to have both higher floors and ceilings then the lower half of the classes we were bringing in before if that makes sense?

Den Johnson’s senior year film. He is one of the more interesting guys in this class to me. Could probably play on either side of the ball.

#82704  by Thorny
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:56 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 am
We'll probably start a transfer portal thread after our season is done, but an interesting name just announced he will enter as a grad transfer when the portal opens. Matthew Sluka from Holy Cross will be available. Given Coach Roper's ties to him and considering how much different our offense looks with a QB that can be a physical runner, he would be an interesting option.

I don't think Furman will go after him, but wouldn't hurt my feelings if they at least gauged his interest. He's a heckuva player. Might be a touch limited throwing the ball. I doubt they would with Jones, Garcia, and Hedden, but thought he might be one to keep an eye on depending on how the coaches feel about Jones being ready to be THE guy next year.
Sluka seems to be getting a lot of interest from P5 programs and I am kind of scheptical Furman can land him.

That being said, the main contenders for the starting job at qb will be a true freshman, a red-shirt freshman (whose had very limited quality playing time), and a red-shirt sophomore (with limited playing time).

I don't know how to manage kids egos or give them what they view as a fair shot but that's about as green a quarterback competition as you can get. I think it would do a disservice to the program for the coaches not to at least look around for a qb in the portal. Especially if there was an athlete that could easily be used to fill needs at other positions or a senior/graduate transfer that could give the younger players a little more time to develop.

Having several solid options at qb, including one that won freshman of year in the SoCon, isn't nothing but who we have doesn't look like much of a competition for the starting job. The coaches know who they have and what their options are. If they are happy with who they have I trust them but I think adding another option at QB would be safer.
 #82707  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:15 am
Thorny wrote:

Sluka seems to be getting a lot of interest from P5 programs and I am kind of scheptical Furman can land him.

That being said, the main contenders for the starting job at qb will be a true freshman, a red-shirt freshman (whose had very limited quality playing time), and a red-shirt sophomore (with limited playing time).

I don't know how to manage kids egos or give them what they view as a fair shot but that's about as green a quarterback competition as you can get. I think it would do a disservice to the program for the coaches not to at least look around for a qb in the portal. Especially if there was an athlete that could easily be used to fill needs at other positions or a senior/graduate transfer that could give the younger players a little more time to develop.

Having several solid options at qb, including one that won freshman of year in the SoCon, isn't nothing but who we have doesn't look like much of a competition for the starting job. The coaches know who they have and what their options are. If they are happy with who they have I trust them but I think adding another option at QB would be safer.
Well, that was more of a “hey this would be cool” vs I think we have a realistic shot to get him.

Honestly, I agree with you though. This may not be a popular take but I wouldn’t mind seeing a guy with one year left come in for next year. I don’t think that’s even an option for this staff though. Huff made sense where we were at the position at that time. We knew we had an upperclassman heavy team and needed someone to stabilize our QB spot for a couple of years while Jace and whoever else got ready behind him. Even though they are all young, this has been the most stable our QB room has been in a while. Coaches probably want to stick with the sign/develop model there I’m guessing.

There would naturally be some concern going into next year, but I think the Wofford game made a lot of people more nervous than they would have been if CJ had performed well. If they stick with who’s on the roster right now, we’re just going to have to trust that they feel one of them is better for next year than whoever we could land in the portal. Either way, everyone probably needs to expect some growing pains to start the year. I think we’re going to be ok regardless.
 #82713  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:51 am
Thorny wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:
We'll probably start a transfer portal thread after our season is done, but an interesting name just announced he will enter as a grad transfer when the portal opens. Matthew Sluka from Holy Cross will be available. Given Coach Roper's ties to him and considering how much different our offense looks with a QB that can be a physical runner, he would be an interesting option.

I don't think Furman will go after him, but wouldn't hurt my feelings if they at least gauged his interest. He's a heckuva player. Might be a touch limited throwing the ball. I doubt they would with Jones, Garcia, and Hedden, but thought he might be one to keep an eye on depending on how the coaches feel about Jones being ready to be THE guy next year.

At some point, nearly every program turns the reigns over to a QB that isn't terribly experienced. I know we all see Huff as the gritty veteran that won a lot, but he was a virtual unknown when he got here.

The coaches know what they have. Next season Jones will be three years in the program. He has talent.
 #82714  by din23
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thorny wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

At some point, nearly every program turns the reigns over to a QB that isn't terribly experienced. I know we all see Huff as the gritty veteran that won a lot, but he was a virtual unknown when he got here.

The coaches know what they have. Next season Jones will be three years in the program. He has talent.
Agreed. I'm high on Jones. But I feel he'll either need to add some running ability to his game or we'll have to scheme our offense a little different than we did with Huff. Our O (and the way opposing Ds played us) was noticeably different with Jones because they knew he wasn't going to run.
 #82715  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:04 am
din23 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thorny wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

Agreed. I'm high on Jones. But I feel he'll either need to add some running ability to his game or we'll have to scheme our offense a little different than we did with Huff. Our O (and the way opposing Ds played us) was noticeably different with Jones because they knew he wasn't going to run.

Not sure about that. The scheme can tailored to the personnel.

Huff had running ability, but you could also see that Roper didn't want him to run as much as, say, Sluka at Holy Cross, who was frequently used as a battering ram in their offense.

Jones can run. We saw him open up on that fumble return against Wofford.

The offensive scheme will have to change a bit to accommodate different skill sets, but I think there's some real positive things that can happen with a full season of Jones' throwing abilities with our receivers. If you go back and watch him against VMI, you see some really savvy QB play.
 #82722  by Paul C
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:39 am
I don’t think we saw Jones run because there was no one behind him. He gets hurt and we are totally screwed. You can see in his HS highlights he has decent running ability. Now can he run like Huff? Huff had RB instincts and seemed stronger so prob not as good.
din23 liked this
 #82728  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:32 am
Does Furman have offers/commitments out to TEs now?

That was a big area of focus last recruiting cycle. I'm wondering if not having a commitment from a TE could suggest the return of one or more of our TEs.
 #82752  by Thorny
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thorny wrote:
FUwolfpacker wrote:

Furman is lucky to have Jones, I think he has very high upside, and I don't hold the Wofford game against him. Furman simply had too many missing pieces on offense. We didn't have the RBs to lean on to keep drives alive and the offensive line couldn't keep Wofford's DLine away from Jones . Sure, Huff, a veteran QB and SoCon offensive player of the year could of probably made that work but that's not really a fair standard.

That being said, as of now, I don't expect Carson to have much of a competition to win the starting QB job. Will others have a chance to compete? Yes, but Furman's offense next year looks completely tied to Carson's ability to step up which makes me pause.

/I'm not against the coaches looking to develop from within and there are much worse things than having the SoCon freshman of the year leading the program. I just wouldn't mind if we hedged our bets.
 #82753  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:40 pm
I think we'd have three scholarship QBs on the roster next year, which is pretty much a full stable for an FCS team.
 #82760  by purplehorse123
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:16 pm
The QB situation in FBS is completely crazy with musical chairs. Yesterday I saw the list for QB’s in the transfer portal was 20 and I doubt that was a comprehensive list.

I remember for several years recently I would look at the 4 semi-finalists at our FCS level and all had QB’s who had transferred from FBS to FCS. You absolutely have to have a stellar QB to do well in the playoffs ie. Ingle Martin 2004-2005.