• Furman at Montana

#82573  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:39 am
Hinton 1 pass reception-the 70 yarder. That surprises me.

Harris 2 pass receptions. That surprises me.

Dominic Roberto - 2 carries, each for 1 yard, each for a TD. A shame he was injured.

Shocked Huff did not run more-including times where he passed up running for what looked like a first down in order to throw an incompletion. I cannot believe he is healthy. Granted the Montana D was great but Huff was “off” passing.

Kudos to Mason Pline. Maybe we should have gone to him more earlier.

Great effort!
dornb liked this
 #82574  by missoula mike
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:45 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:54 am
It was not a good night to be a running back:
FU- 21 carries for 23 yds with a long of 5.
MT- 23 carries for 30 yds with a long of 6.
Total: 44 carries for 53 yds. Avg. 1.2 ypc.
2 amazing run defenses.
Looked at the stats and the bruises per yard ratio was very high for the backs on both teams. The definitions of stout run D.
GrizGuy, dornb liked this
 #82580  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:16 am
I wonder when was the last time Furman gave up a TD on a kick-off AND the opening kick-off.

Same question for a punt return.

And both in the same game?

We certainly lost the field position battle tonight.
dornb liked this
 #82581  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:34 am
Our D gave up 2 points to
Montana in the second
half. They deserved better.

Furman had 156 yards on 30 plays in the first half. Take out the 70-yard pass and the 53-yard run, and the Paladins totaled 33 yards on their other 28 plays.
 #82583  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:18 am
In 2001 we are without Louis Ivory and now Dom is unable to do his thing. Would love to play the Griz with our RB1 at full strength. It is what it is…

Proud to be a Paladin this morning! Like Coach Richey, Clay has built program that is built to last and we ain’t going away! Already excited for next year!
dornb liked this
 #82585  by gman84
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:18 am
Last night when I finally turned off the tv I was pissed off and couldn’t sleep. Not mad at our team or second guessing any part of the game. I was upset because we just played a game the way football used to be played against a team that was just like us. The average village idiot will see the score and say oh another football game. That game was a masterpiece of tough defenses and a rabid environment of fans and weather. The only thing lacking was real grass. In the era of 7 on 7, high flying offenses and flag football rules, we were treated to an old school football game between two schools that are 180 different from each other. CCH has brought football back to FU. True football fans that know the game tuned into a classic last night. I’m ecstatic we were a part of it. We will have to reload big time. We are not finished!
FU3, FurmAlum, AstroDin and 7 others liked this
 #82586  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:22 am
FUTex wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:21 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:55 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:52 am
Wish we could have gotten a chance for the 2 point conversion. I am afraid we won’t see a better FU defense for a long time.

On the bright side our offense can't get any worse going forward than it was today lol :lol:
28 points on the road against a team surrendering half that?

Remember, Furman's offense outscored Montana's.

Huff threw 16-47

Our running backs combined for like 25 yards

Don't get defensive about our offense tonight, it stunk
Well no, FU Hoopla, our offense did not stink tonight. What you saw was a really good Montana defense. Oh, I love to post a lot of nonsense, but I actually know a thing or two about football (at least I used to), and I can't let an egregious comment like yours slide. If you're making the point that the Paladin offense isn't the best offense the Paladins have put on the field, then I would agree. Yet I'm pretty darn certain the Paladin offense did not "stunk". What I saw was an offense that put 28 points on the board against a really good Montana team that effectively shut down our vaunted running game. The offense did their job. The defense did their job. We got burned on special teams.

Incorrect analysis on your part, but that's ok ;)

Offense was not very good, had plenty of chances to take control of the game and never did, could not run the ball to save our life outside one play (our running backs combined for 25 yards) and throwing 16-47 is awful, obviously....

When you throw the ball 47 times and punt (12 times) almost as many times as you completed a pass, its not a good sign for the offense....

Great effort from our Defense however, they played well and kept us in the game. 7 of our 28 points (in an overtime game) go to the defense for the great interception and return to set up an easy score. Our defense was left with awful field position by our offense all night and kept on fighting and even forcing 2 missed short field goals, they were stellar......

There are no moral victories in sport (unless we were playing maybe Alabama lol), you either win and remember or lose and forget, that's a fact......
We lost the quarterfinal playoff game and now look to next year.......
Last edited by FU Hoopla on Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
 #82591  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:47 am
Man, Bootie and I tried every form of Mojo magic we had last night…
I am so proud of this team, and hats off to all the parents who show up game in and game out for their boys.

If we ever play Montana again in Missoula, you will love the experience. I'm not sure I've ever had opposing fans apologize for cheering against our DINS.

Go DINS!
FUwolfpacker, gman84, Bootie and 2 others liked this
 #82594  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:52 am
Clay said Huff was maybe 75% and limited in what he could throw which changed how Roper had to call the game. Offense still struggled significantly because of how good Montana was upfront but i’m sure being without two of our running backs, and our starting quarterback at 75% didn’t help. Still found a way to score 28 points and be in it at the end.

I’m still proud of the offense for gutting it out and finding a way to score 4 touchdowns, and for the defense continuing to answer the bell every drive when it could have gotten away from them. Special teams struggled, no two ways about that.
 #82598  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:55 am
Not to jump too soon… into next year.
I think I saw somewhere Hedden is graduating early.
Spring is going to be interesting.
gman84, FU Hoopla liked this
 #82602  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:06 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:55 am
Not to jump too soon… into next year.
I think I saw somewhere Hedden is graduating early.
Spring is going to be interesting.

ALOT of players to replace, no doubt right now next year is a big mystery as to what we might see out there.........