• Furman at Montana

#82552  by FU3
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:23 am
We played with 3 injured running backs ( none of whom would have played if this wasn’t a playoff game) and a QB who is obviously not back to near normal with an injured throwing shoulder. With all of that we took the #2 team in FCS ( at their hard as hell to play at stadium) to OT. I really couldn’t be more proud of our coaches and players.
AstroDin, din23, Roundball and 6 others liked this
 #82554  by saltyshaker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:27 am
thought the 2 pt try at game end was the right call.too bad we got the penalty.i would have like to tried another jump pass to #89.our defense was elite.and thier's was pretty damn good.i think we gained respect.one step further than last year.maybe to the semi finals next year.
FUBeAR liked this
 #82555  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:28 am
To make matters worse we either would have been at home or in a dome next week.
 #82556  by Afurmanfan
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:31 am
I guess Montana’s offense stinks too- only one touchdown in regulation after averaging 30 something points a game. Or did the defenses of both teams have something to do with that?
So the number 2 seed and 7 seed have offenses that stink or maybe two excellent defenses?
Blasting our team when we play against a very good team is not how I believe a real fan acts.
DeepPurple, dornb, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #82557  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:33 am
Random thoughts.

Congrats to the Griz. No doubt they are a top 10 team and probably top 5 and maybe # 2 behind SDS . I will now be pulling for them.

A tough tough loss. I was hoping the momentum of tying the game at the end of regulation would propel us to victory. Unfortunately in OT nothing went our way.

A break here or there and we could have absolutely won. Special teams killed us. Offense struggled against a great Montana defense . Definitely some missed pass interference calls. Defense was great and I know they would like to have the OT back. A few injuries hurt us.

A great year over all. A game of inches. I think we showed the Southern Conference is closer to the Big Sky than many think. I think we probably beat Montana in Greenville-but they are a good team. My guess is without the Wofford loss Montana would have still been the # 2 seed and Furman # 3.

We will miss TH. He is a great competitor. I wonder if he is still hurt bc I am surprised he did not run more especially after his long TD run in the first quarter.

We had our chances tonight just like against Incarnate Word last year. There we did not make the big plays at the end of regulation. Tonight we did! But then did not make them in OT.

Great year guys!
 #82558  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:35 am
When O and D are stifled SPECIAL TEAMS WIN

Also our DL stopped their offense and wow we stopped their run BUT damn they got in our backfield better than we could - Huff went 16/47 because of their DL pressure.

SIXTEEN FOR FORTY SEVEN. DAMN
Choir Boy liked this
 #82560  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:49 am
greenheadMT wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:47 am
Phenomenal game by your guys tonight. Obviously a group of well coached warriors. Nothing but respect from Montana fans.
Same to the Montana team. Good luck!
dornb liked this
 #82562  by fu77fan
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:52 am
A game of inches.
Would’ve
Could’ve
Should’ve

We certainly could’ve won.

It is always a few plays that decides the game.

Without their 2 point conversion, we win.
Without the opening KO return, we win.
Without the punt return, we win .

While we did not win , it was a great effort!
Once the disappointment wears off, I think we will all appreciate how special this team was.
Choir Boy, Bootie, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #82564  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:54 am
It was not a good night to be a running back:
FU- 21 carries for 23 yds with a long of 5.
MT- 23 carries for 30 yds with a long of 6.
Total: 44 carries for 53 yds. Avg. 1.2 ypc.
2 amazing run defenses.
dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #82565  by FUTex
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:54 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:31 am
I guess Montana’s offense stinks too- only one touchdown in regulation after averaging 30 something points a game. Or did the defenses of both teams have something to do with that?
So the number 2 seed and 7 seed have offenses that stink or maybe two excellent defenses?
Blasting our team when we play against a very good team is not how I believe a real fan acts.
I completely agree with you Afurmanfan. When supposed fans are harsh and negative I feel uneasy.

When George Pickett was asked why the Confederates failed at Gettysburg, he would supposedly respond "I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it." Note he did not say "Because our infantry stinks."

Sometimes when you play a really good team you get beat.
Victor Greene, dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #82569  by missoula mike
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:18 am
Just got back from the game and as a Griz fan wanted to congratulate Furman on a great year despite things not going their way tonight. It is a game that will immediately move near the all time top of games played here. Two very similar, hard nosed football teams in a slobber knocker where yards were tough to come by. Best defense we've seen all year, the front 7 is a wall. Out come in doubt until the last play. The kind of game that makes you realize why you love football. Fiercely fought but clean.
I hope the Furman fans who could come enjoyed their stay and had a good visit (despite the disappointment in the outcome). We fans should really ask our AD's why they don't schedule a home and home between the 2 programs, lots of fun stuff to do here and September is spectacular. A trip to Greenville with my fly rod and clubs would be fantastic as well.
I'll just sign off by saying how enjoyable it was to see 2 class programs go toe to toe and you have to be proud how your boy's represented it. I hope we won't have to wait 2 decades for another game. Congrats again on a fine year of football.
apaladin, FUwolfpacker, DeepPurple and 4 others liked this
 #82571  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:22 am
missoula mike wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:18 am
Just got back from the game and as a Griz fan wanted to congratulate Furman on a great year despite things not going their way tonight. It is a game that will immediately move near the all time top of games played here. Two very similar, hard nosed football teams in a slobber knocker where yards were tough to come by. Best defense we've seen all year, the front 7 is a wall. Out come in doubt until the last play. The kind of game that makes you realize why you love football. Fiercely fought but clean.
I hope the Furman fans who could come enjoyed their stay and had a good visit (despite the disappointment in the outcome). We fans should really ask our AD's why they don't schedule a home and home between the 2 programs, lots of fun stuff to do here and September is spectacular. A trip to Greenville with my fly rod and clubs would be fantastic as well.
I'll just sign off by saying how enjoyable it was to see 2 class programs go toe to toe and you have to be proud how your boy's represented it. I hope we won't have to wait 2 decades for another game. Congrats again on a fine year of football.
CLASSY. now this is good stuff
 #82572  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:24 am
On the other hand that’s 0 - 2 vs Montana DAMNIT

Don’t fool yourself and think our 2001 players are happy with this moral victory.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.