• Advice from a Griz fan

#82050  by Affirm
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:51 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:58 am
Kinda funny, right now at 3AM ET it is 37 in Missoula and 43 in Greenville, 6 degrees different.
NFL teams have to go play against Green Bay, Buffalo, Denver, Chicago, & New England, plus other places that can get very cold, in December & January.
 #82090  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:14 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:49 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:32 pm
GrizGuy wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:07 pm
I would add to this: Book your return trip for Sunday or Monday.
Stay in town a couple days.
Book a fly fishing half-day with Grizzly Hackle Fly Shop (also a GREAT place to stay is the Dry Fly Apartments, which are actually air bnb style rentals and the prices for what you get are generally way better than vrbo or airbnb or hotels that gouge). Also look up rentals at the Wilma.
Or book a day and fish the Blackfoot of the fabled novella “A River Runs Through It.” The guys at Grizzly Hackle will help you hook up w a Westslope Cutthroat. It’ll be worth it.

Eat at Scotty’s Table. Have coffee at Clyde. Ear Big Dipper Ice Cream. Buy tea for home at Butterfly Herbs.

Rent some mountain bikes. Take them over to the Rattlesnake Nat’l Recreation Area, and go for a nice trail ride (any level of rider can do this).

And for only the TRULY HEARTY. Here’s how to walk in the literal footsteps of Lewis and Clark: Rent a car (pref truck, van or awd). Drive east out of Missoula on hwy 200 1hr 50min, past the town of Lincoln (where they found and busted the Unabomber). A few miles later, Turn left on Alice Creek Rd. Stay on it (keep right) aaaaaalllllllll the way to the end. You’ll be at a campground.
Hike the trail there for about two miles. Welcome to the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex (the Scapegoat Wilderness part).
You will find a cairn and a historic marker showing you where Capt Lewis and some men hiked an old buffalo trail the local tribes used. From there, look east. You’ll swear you can almost see home. It looks today not much different from when Lewis stood there in 1806. If you’re insane, walk a few more meters and you’ll be on the Continental Divide Trail. I would NOT advise hiking that at this time of year unless you really know WTF you’re doing. And trust me, unless you’re a guide, you don’t. Also trust me, a fraction of a percentage of Montana residents have even seen this, so you’ll one-up a lot of residents.

Just take some pics, turn around, hike back to your car and go back to Missoula and have a nice meal, knowing that even tho your team lost, you enjoyed the entire experience and saw yourself some amazing land, and almost touched history.

I hope you all have a great trip, that your team loses, and that you leave loving Missoula as much as I do.

Have fun!
GrizGuy. Great post. We need more like this. Where you recommend a bar .. nature. Fishing. Coffee.

Thank you. Great fan and sharing of inside local information

You represent Griz fans well !!!

On the game I suspect you win. I’ve watched you dismantle Montana State and Delaware. Man. But hopefully we bring a better game than they did.

Regardless I wanted to thank you for a post recommending places to visit rather than smack talk. Classy. Good stuff !!!
This from a guy who won’t be at the game.
Flag, you are better than this. You are a TRULY GREAT GUY !!! but .... You might owe me an apology here . At least read my post.

I would appreciate an apology... Several people have commented on this over the years. You are retired and can afford to go to games. No need to rub that in people's faces. Here is my situation as of this week:

I have a Cervical spine disease - my Doctor appointment is tomorrow after 6 weeks of trying Physical Therapy. " 1. Cervical radiculopathy. This condition arises when a cervical nerve is pinched by cervical vertebrae. You may experience tingling, numbness, weakness and pain" - this is occuring in my right arm. Radial pain. I am not even sure they would ALLOW me to board a plane and sit in those seats for 5 hours or whatever. I have to keep moving every hour at work in intervals. As you can see, with cervical radiculopathy, although the problem is up in the neck, the pain is felt down in the arm; this is called referred pain.

2. Started a new job - no PTO available. Only one day for Christmas.

3. Don't have the money as I am paying for the cervical (isn't that a female thing LOL at me) issues out of pocket to a good extent.

Look, many people over the years have lamented how you rub it in that you are at the games. Some of us have younger children (Eagle scout projects) and can't afford it.

Again, You are a truly GREAT guy but I wouldn't heckle others about not being there.

I hope you have fun and we win !!!
GrizGuy liked this
 #82096  by greenheadMT
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:36 pm
Going to chime in with some more tips. Hoping lots of Furman folks make the trip. We try to show visitors a good time (just not too good!). Some personal favorites that are in/near town and not weather or roads dependent.

Breweries: Bayern, Kettlehouse, Imagination, Draughtworks

Trails: M trail, Waterworks Hill, Greenough Park, Milltown state park, Kim Williams trail along the river in town

Lodging: don’t have much on this b/c I live in town but heard nice things about the Wren. Double tree and holiday inn are close to the stadium and downtown and right on the river.

Restaurants/bars: Tagliare deli, Biga Pizza, Gild Tacos (beer not so much), golden yolk or market on front for breakfast, Top Hat,

Take note on parking. It can be tough nearby so it’s best to just plan an alternative ahead of time. Many bars have shuttles coming and going and there is a free park and ride shuttle that runs every 15 mins from across the street from the Mo club.

Good luck on Friday and travel safe!
DeepPurple, GrizGuy liked this
 #82097  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:42 pm
greenheadMT wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:36 pm
Going to chime in with some more tips. Hoping lots of Furman folks make the trip. We try to show visitors a good time (just not too good!). Some personal favorites that are in/near town and not weather or roads dependent.

Breweries: Bayern, Kettlehouse, Imagination, Draughtworks

Trails: M trail, Waterworks Hill, Greenough Park, Milltown state park, Kim Williams trail along the river in town

Lodging: don’t have much on this b/c I live in town but heard nice things about the Wren. Double tree and holiday inn are close to the stadium and downtown and right on the river.

Restaurants/bars: Tagliare deli, Biga Pizza, Gild Tacos (beer not so much), golden yolk or market on front for breakfast, Top Hat,

Take note on parking. It can be tough nearby so it’s best to just plan an alternative ahead of time. Many bars have shuttles coming and going and there is a free park and ride shuttle that runs every 15 mins from across the street from the Mo club.

Good luck on Friday and travel safe!
Again, great posts...

lets just say yall are WAY better than Marshall fans
GrizGuy liked this
 #82100  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:29 pm
gofurman wrote:

On the game I suspect you win.
I'm truly sorry for your troubles. But I wouldn't admit on a fan forum that I expect my team will lose. Comments like this are why we have a negative nancy thread. I travel expecting a Paladin win!
FUBeAR, gofurman, Paladin82 and 3 others liked this
 #82101  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:46 pm
Flagman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

I'm truly sorry for your troubles. But I wouldn't admit on a fan forum that I expect my team will lose. Comments like this are why we have a negative nancy thread. I travel expecting a Paladin win!
See you there flagman!
AstroDin liked this
 #82104  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:53 pm
Flagman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Flag, Thanks. A nice response

Much appreciated. Have a great time. Go Furman !!!!!!!
GrizGuy liked this
 #82106  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:04 pm
Flagman wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Flag, Thanks. A nice response

Much appreciated. Have a great time. Go Furman !!!!!!!

I sincerely hope we win !!!
 #82109  by CrunchGriz
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:50 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:42 pm
Again, great posts...

lets just say yall are WAY better than Marshall fans
Oh, we have our own history with Marshall fans...e.g., my brother was acquainted with a Marshall fan here in the Pacific NW who swore that Marshall has never lost to Montana. Believe me, we have video that disproves that ;) .
Davemeister, GrizGuy liked this
 #82110  by FUDude
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:01 pm
At least the griz posters on this forum are not like the guys from eGriz. What a bunch of losers.

Just got into Missoula and my buddy picked me up to go downtown and grab a bite to eat at the Missoula Club. Nice little town and the people are really friendly so far. Unlike their message board.
AstroDin liked this
 #82116  by CrunchGriz
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:50 pm
FUDude wrote:
At least the griz posters on this forum are not like the guys from eGriz. What a bunch of losers.

Just got into Missoula and my buddy picked me up to go downtown and grab a bite to eat at the Missoula Club. Nice little town and the people are really friendly so far. Unlike their message board.
Even die-hard Griz fans gnash their teeth reading some of the crap on eGriz. There is some wheat there, but you have to wade through mountains of chaff to find it sometimes. There are certain posters who will hijack any thread just so they can have verbal slap fights with each other. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I have to just stay off it for a while so I don't get infected. Other posters, like Brint, provide a ton of good, useful info. He's one of the hosts of the Griz Fan Podcast (which is on all the platforms), which is a little more circumspect about making wild predictions based on minimal information. They do tend to go into the Griz weeds and stray tangentially a lot, but it just comes off as a bunch of friends talking about the team and shootin' the s--t about anything and everything else that comes up.
GrizGuy liked this
 #82117  by cavedweller2
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:56 pm
CrunchGriz wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:50 pm
FUDude wrote:

Even die-hard Griz fans gnash their teeth reading some of the crap on eGriz. There is some wheat there, but you have to wade through mountains of chaff to find it sometimes. There are certain posters who will hijack any thread just so they can have verbal slap fights with each other. Drives me crazy. Sometimes I have to just stay off it for a while so I don't get infected. Other posters, like Brint, provide a ton of good, useful info. He's one of the hosts of the Griz Fan Podcast (which is on all the platforms), which is a little more circumspect about making wild predictions based on minimal information. They do tend to go into the Griz weeds and stray tangentially a lot, but it just comes off as a bunch of friends talking about the team and shootin' the s--t about anything and everything else that comes up.
Sounds kinda like a place I used to hang out in around here.
FUBeAR liked this
 #82134  by AllTimeFU
 Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:41 pm
FUDude wrote:

What's the local weather saying about game time weather?
 #82141  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:20 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
FUDude wrote:

Too early to tell. Remember we were told all week last week it was gonna rain Saturday. It didn’t.
 #82145  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:42 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:20 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
FUDude wrote:

Too early to tell. Remember we were told all week last week it was gonna rain Saturday. It didn’t.
All last week - well, from about Thursday night on, the Tomorrow.io weather app told FUBeAR it was NOT going to rain. All other forecasts, as late as Saturday morning, were calling for a massive canine/feline dropping.

Last season, every forecast said the Samford @ FU game would be canceled due to Hurricane Ian. Tomorrow.io said “FUBeAR, wear your purple and enjoy the game.” It was a beautiful sunshiny, lightly breezy day. Too bad the cheating Ref also used Tomorrow.io and decided to show up to steal the game at Coach Hatcher’s bidding.

This is what Tomorrow.io currently says about the game time weather in Wa-Grizz (what a stupid name) Stadium…

Forecasted Temp has been dropping and is now a bit colder than FUBeAR would like to see, particularly as the wind speed forecasted has also increased affecting the “feels like” temp. On a positive note, those little umbrellas later in the evening are indicating a very minor chance of any precipitation and maybe just a few, light flurries later in the game.

This weather, if it holds to this forecast should have minimal effect on the Players or the game, but attending Fans will want to pay heed & respond accordingly.

Montana Fans, since the outcome of the game is already well-in-hand for the Grizz, should not even bother to attend this game. Instead, it will be more helpful for the Team for all fans to rest up for next week’s home game against the NDSU Bison, who are favored to defeat South Dakota.