• FURMAN NSD 19

#8189  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 pm
Interesting that aside from Hanna DT Devonte Jones, the guys that signed today were all summer commits. So today was a bit "disappointing" in that none of the outstanding questions were cleared up. A lot of the guys we most recently offered haven't signed.

And what I would call our "weakest" (at least in my mind) commit, Josh Slay, didn't sign.

Guys I was wondering about coming into today....

DB Keyvaun Cobb from Asheville signed with Wofford
OLB Josh Agbenou didn't appear to sign but has picked up offers from Colo St, Western Ky, Kent St, UMass this week
OLB Micheal Mason didn't appear to sign with anyone
DB Daiveon Carrington didn't appear to sign with anyone
RB Wayne Anderson, Jr didn't appear to sign with anyone
 #8190  by Bootie
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:27 pm
I'd be curious to see what athletes we may have offered that chose other schools. Any way to know those?
 #8193  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 pm
Congrats Domonic Roberto — welcome to the family.
dornb liked this
 #8194  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 pm
Agree w Astro AND Paul

Wonderful class of recruits !!!! Wonderful. Great OL

But the questions that were out there didn’t get answered. Slay ?? He’s perhaps our best recruit and asked to wait for Feb. ... I don’t like the wait

I was looking to see what Agbenou and the OLB from Florence did. Appears they didn’t sign anywhere

IE great great class! But a little surprised we didn’t get a few more answers

**Who was the other guy that asked to wait?*. Astro said two guys asked to wait until February. Who was the other ?***
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #8195  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 pm
Dominic Roberto 5-11, 230 RB
Played for Matt Sochovka's dad at Pine Forest HS
Suffered a knee injury after committing and I don't he played in many games.
His HS coach said after his commitment that he choose Furman over Elon.
 #8196  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:06 pm
We have to remember that Grainger didn't sign until Feb. last season.

I would much rather see a guy (Slay) take his time and not take a late FBS offer.

Concerning who is the best recruit — I think we have to be careful there. Is it STARS, is it offers, is it the success of their high school, is it their stats.
 #8197  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:17 pm
“ I would much rather see a guy (Slay) take his time and not take a late FBS offer”.

Astro, maybe I am confused? I would rather Slay sign today so he CANT take another offer ... plus now the coaches have to work to keep him. With guys that sign it frees up our coaches time to pursue other guys

Why would you rather Slay take his time than sign today ?
 #8198  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm
gofurman wrote:
“ I would much rather see a guy (Slay) take his time and not take a late FBS offer”.

Astro, maybe I am confused? I would rather Slay sign today so he CANT take another offer ... plus now the coaches have to work to keep him. With guys that sign it frees up our coaches time to pursue other guys

In the meantime - and this is just my opinion - don't go onto unsigned (but verbally committed) guys' Twitter pages posting stuff about how they should choose Furman. Leave it to our coaching staff to work their magic. High School student-athletes don't need a bunch of fanboys posting crap about other schools, or how great Furman is, on their Twitter feeds. It's a bad look and could actually backfire. I have no issue with following recruits...just don't be obnoxious. I've already seen some comments on a recruits feed and it just looks stupid.
Last edited by MNORM on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FUBeAR, AstroDin, furman88 liked this
 #8199  by Flagman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am
Better pic of Jack Barton…
Barton has a direct Paladin connection. His uncle is Hollis Barton.
dornb liked this
 #8201  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

In the meantime - and this is just my opinion - don't go onto unsigned (but verbally committed) guys' Twitter pages posting stuff about how they need to choose Furman. Leave it to our coaching staff to work their magic. High School student-athletes don't need a bunch of fanboys posting crap about other schools, or how great Furman is, on their Twitter feeds. It's a bad look and could actually backfire. I have no issue with following recruits...just don't be obnoxious. I've already seen some comments on a recruits page and it just looks stupid.
Man. I hope that’s not directed at me- I say that because you quoted me.... I would NEVER do that. NEVER

I don’t even have a Twitter account. LOL.
 #8203  by MNORM
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:43 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:36 pm
MNORM wrote:
gofurman wrote:

In the meantime - and this is just my opinion - don't go onto unsigned (but verbally committed) guys' Twitter pages posting stuff about how they need to choose Furman. Leave it to our coaching staff to work their magic. High School student-athletes don't need a bunch of fanboys posting crap about other schools, or how great Furman is, on their Twitter feeds. It's a bad look and could actually backfire. I have no issue with following recruits...just don't be obnoxious. I've already seen some comments on a recruits page and it just looks stupid.
Man. I hope that’s not directed at me- I say that because you quoted me.... I would NEVER do that. NEVER

I don’t even have a Twitter account. LOL.
Not directed at you. Your mention of Slay made me think of stupid stuff I'm already seeing. I think I have an idea who the guy is (based on the way he tweets and some message board activity elsewhere). He either realized his tweet was ill-advised or is on this forum and saw my post, because the tweet has since been deleted.
Just use your heads people. If you think your tweet is going to POSITIVELY sway an 18 year old student athlete's decision then you probably should stay off social media all together. Let our coaches do their jobs and don't sabotage their hard work.
Last edited by MNORM on Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootie, AstroDin liked this
 #8209  by FUBeAR
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:18 pm
Flagman wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 am
Better pic of Jack Barton…
Barton has a direct Paladin connection. His uncle is Hollis Barton.
Has the Equipment Manager been notified of his genetics? Could be important.
Flagman liked this
 #8213  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm
Ditto MNORM. That was my point… enjoy who signed early. It's a great class of young men.
February will work out the way it's going to. Let the coaches do their job.
MNORM liked this
 #8214  by Paul C
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:54 pm
Just as a quick update, we signed 10 in Dec and 6 in Feb last year....(and added the three transfers in Jan)
AstroDin, The Jackal, dornb liked this
 #8216  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Great looking class so far but no QB, RB or WR. How many more can we sign in Feb? We don't many collies left do we since it was a small senior class.

/

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.