• Furman at Montana

#81926  by missoula mike
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:00 pm
https://www.weather.gov/ Weather looks like it will be similar to Saturday night. Chilly around freezing but not cold. You don't really need a parka, just layer up with fleece. A good wind proof layer is also wise as the wind blows out of the Hellgate Canyon next to the stadium can be COLD. If you don't have good rain gear it might be smart to get a low price poncho to have in case of sleet/snow. Hand warmers and lectric sox are nice to have too. The stadium concrete is cold to stand on with older toes like mine. As long as you stay dry you should have a pleasant game (except for the Griz handing you an L, lolol). Safe travels, people here will try to insure a good time is had by your fans as we appreciate other top FCS programs like yours.
 #81927  by Thorny
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:10 pm
30 degrees isn't that cold and I refuse to believe I am tougher than our football players...

I'm not worried about the temperature, elevation, time change, or noise. This is a veteran team and it's going to show.
FUBeAR, dornb, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #81928  by missoula mike
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:08 pm
Who the heck schedules a 9 pm game on Friday night? Seriously. From a scheduling and seeding standpoint, I feel like Montana always gets an unfair advantage. Yep, we blew our chances in the Wofford game, so we only have ourselves to blame. With that said, go up to Missoula and kick some "A".
I do not believe Montana fans are any more excited about a Friday night game than Furman fans are.
Many are. One of the best games in program history was vs Armanti Edwards and App State on a snowy night at Wa Griz stadium a decade ago. A great video of it is on You Tube if you care to watch a preview of Friday. An incredible game in falling snow. We have actually had about 6 night games this year, most ever by far. If we get a similar contest it will be a classic.
apaladin, AstroDin liked this
 #81932  by missoula mike
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:26 pm
rudyscribe wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:01 pm
If you get to go to Montana and spend a few days around the game, I highly recommend driving the Go-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National Park if it is open. The most beautiful scenic drive I've every been on.
GTtS is closed for the winter. However there are some nice half day jaunts if you want to get out of the valley to explore. One could take US 93 south from Missoula and have lunch in Hamilton or Darby. An hour or a little more and the Bitterroot Range of mountains covered by snow to your west is Glacier Park like. Or head up State Hwy 200 to Seely Lake and drive along the Blackfoot River and break out of the canyon into ranch country with the Swan and Mission Mountains looming. There are trails right on the edge of town up Pattee Canyon that have pretty impressive views of the valley and surrounding mountains that start 15 minutes from downtown. Lots of quick jaunts if one is only here for a couple days. Enjoy.
apaladin, rudyscribe liked this
 #81936  by missoula mike
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:35 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:13 am
The ticket purchase link is now live.
Got my ticket. I'm guessing the first 13 rows for the most part are saved for Furman Family.
BTW - the opposing fans are in the corner of the endzone - SUCKS!
Oh well, Go Dins!

To the important stuff… did a test run this morning in my new mid-weight thermal tights, it was 42 and I was toasty.
They are behind the visitor bench around the 20 yard line. Great seats.
AstroDin liked this
 #81942  by missoula mike
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:59 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:08 am
Good bulletin board material from their fan forum. "To me Furman looked steady but slow and unathletic. I think our skill positions could go off against these guys. Griz by 24."
Typical homer fans? Lol. A lot of the same people doing the chirping were calling for the heads of the coaching staff after the Griz lost the first conference game to NAU and had a less than impressive non conference performance. The serious fans know about Furman, their conference and history as a top FCS program and appreciate that. Head to head against your peers for all the marbles is why we want to be there to see it. It's why if the game was at your place a thousand Griz fans would show up. No one here that knows football over time is taking Furman lightly. We want to see a hard fought, injury free game to see who moves on. That's what it's all about. And of course a Griz W.
apaladin, FUpaladin08, Roundball and 4 others liked this
 #81946  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:41 pm
As our luck would have it Friday will be the coldest day in Montana for the foreseeable future. Wedneday the high is 51 low of 38, Friday 35 high 21 low. Hope the cold is not as big a factor as we think.
Today’s presser was a good one for CCH. Here’s some quotes about altitude, crowd noise, cold weather, etc.

“There’s a reason we have Spring practice in February.”

He told the players: “If you’re worried about the cold, go ahead and tell me and we’ll leave you here.”

“If two and half hours of cold weather and crowd noise have that big of an effect on you then we’re not who we thought we were.”

“The biggest challenge is the team we’re playing.
Roundball, Victor Greene, rangab and 2 others liked this
 #81947  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:24 pm
I still can't believe Montana's road record in the playoffs is so bad, what was it like 1-15

That's insanely awful :lol:
 #81951  by Flagman
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:45 pm
missoula mike wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 3:35 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:13 am
The ticket purchase link is now live.
Got my ticket. I'm guessing the first 13 rows for the most part are saved for Furman Family.
BTW - the opposing fans are in the corner of the endzone - SUCKS!
Oh well, Go Dins!

To the important stuff… did a test run this morning in my new mid-weight thermal tights, it was 42 and I was toasty.
They are behind the visitor bench around the 20 yard line. Great seats.
Missoula Mike,
Section 114 for visiting fans is in the corner of the endzone underneath the video board. Typical seating for visitors in a large stadium where there are usually large home crowds.
 #81955  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm
Thorny wrote:
30 degrees isn't that cold and I refuse to believe I am tougher than our football players...

I'm not worried about the temperature, elevation, time change, or noise. This is a veteran team and it's going to show.

Agreed. Furman is a veteran group and won't be intimidated by the atmosphere.

I don't know when the team is leaving, but temps are supposed to dip into the 20s on Wednesday night, and I might not be surprised to see the team out practicing that night with temperatures in the 30s.

We don't play a lot of night games, so I would expect us to prepare for that change.
 #81956  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm
Let me also say that I feel like it has been a while, but Furman/Montana feels like a "classic" FCS/1AA matchup.

With all the moving and shaking, there aren't many teams around that have been at this as long as these two programs have at this level. Good for the game.
hypercycloid, AstroDin, gman84 and 1 others liked this
 #81982  by gman84
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:18 pm
Thorny wrote:

Agreed. Furman is a veteran group and won't be intimidated by the atmosphere.

I don't know when the team is leaving, but temps are supposed to dip into the 20s on Wednesday night, and I might not be surprised to see the team out practicing that night with temperatures in the 30s.

We don't play a lot of night games, so I would expect us to prepare for that change.
The elevation there is almost exactly that of Boone NC, 3,200/3,300 ft. not an issue. Equipment semi left today, team leaves Thursday.