• Furman at Montana

#81897  by Roundball
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:08 am
Good bulletin board material from their fan forum. "To me Furman looked steady but slow and unathletic. I think our skill positions could go off against these guys. Griz by 24."
 #81899  by BackupQB
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:24 am
1) Message board chatter is meaningless to people who don't spend time on message boards. I'm sure the Montana players and coaches are taking this game plenty seriously, and I'm sure our players don't give 2 s---s about what their fans think.

Even Clay said in his post-game presser that we weren't going to out-talent anyone. We have to grind it out. So the observation about skill positions is shared by our own coaches.

2) Save for a lone Wofford win over Montana 16 years ago, the (current) SoCon's playoff performance against the likes of the Big Sky and Missouri Valley (and frankly, in general) in this new era of FCS has been pretty abysmal. They have every reason to be confident.

I believe our guys have great heads on their shoulders and a lot of grit and have every chance to give Montana fans more than they bargained for. But let's be real. It's going to take an incredible effort.
bj93, rangab liked this
 #81900  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:42 am
Roundball wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:08 am
Good bulletin board material from their fan forum. "To me Furman looked steady but slow and unathletic. I think our skill positions could go off against these guys. Griz by 24."

The only time I've seen position players "go off" against Furman is South Carolina's Legette and that RB/WR hybrid guy for Kennesaw State. Those were the first few weeks of the season.

Montana doesn't have a monster like Legette. After the KSU game, our pass rush took off and teams have struggled to do much against us in the passing game. We fixed whatever was broken.

Montana fans can think what they want, but Furman has faced half a dozen jackrabbit receivers in conference play. We've pretty well stopped all of them. This isn't dispositive, but there are 5 SoCon receivers that average more yards per game receiving than the top Montana receiver (who ranks 86th).

I'm not sure Montana fans appreciate how good Furman's defense is. Heck, I'm not sure most of our fans appreciate it.
 #81908  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:10 pm
I believe the only time we played Montana was in 2001 national championship.

If memory serves, that season we had to go on the road and beat a team no one gave us a snowball's chance of beating (Georgia Southern) in a stadium where apparently you could not win in the post season (Paulson Stadium).
Bootie, AstroDin, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #81909  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:13 pm
With the exception of the Carolina game, the 2023 Paladins have played their best ball against our best opponents. And our worst ball against our weakest opponents.

That's why I have a pretty good feeling about Friday Night.
gman84, dornb liked this
 #81912  by JoshCooper
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:35 pm
I have been waiting 22 years for this revenge. As someone who played in that game back in 2001, we should have won. No excuses. Time for these boys get that revenge we've been craving all these years. Still get fired up thinking about that. Their offense averaged over 45 points per game that year and we held them to 13....unfortunately we only scored 6. Can't wait for Friday!!!!
Stumpy, Bootie, Davemeister and 9 others liked this
 #81913  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:41 pm
As our luck would have it Friday will be the coldest day in Montana for the foreseeable future. Wedneday the high is 51 low of 38, Friday 35 high 21 low. Hope the cold is not as big a factor as we think.
 #81915  by Roundball
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
As our luck would have it Friday will be the coldest day in Montana for the foreseeable future. Wedneday the high is 51 low of 38, Friday 35 high 21 low. Hope the cold is not as big a factor as we think.
NWS says snow. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 7&map_y=75

Thursday Rain before 8am, then rain and snow between 8am and 11am, then rain likely after 11am. Snow level 4200 feet lowering to 3600 feet. High near 43. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Thursday Night Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Friday Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.

Friday Night A chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

“A broad Pacific trough remains on track to move across the
Northern Rockies late Wednesday into Friday. Snow levels will drop
down to 3,500 feet by Thursday morning, with moderate snow
impacting travel across mountain passes. A secondary shot of
colder air arrives Thursday night into Friday morning, with snow
levels reaching 2,000 feet. This period will need to be monitored
for valley snow and impacts, given unstable northwesterly flow
conducive to convective snow showers. By Friday PM, 48-hour snow
totals from the NBM4.2 50th percentile reach 1-2 feet above 5,000
feet across the northern Clearwaters, Cabinet, Mission, and Swan
Mountains, with 6-12” for the Bitterroot Mountains and Whitefish
Range. /Lukinbeal
 #81916  by saltyshaker
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:01 pm
ideally a win over montana and an upset win by ndsu over south dakota would bring the bizon to paladin stadium the following week for the semifinals.love to play them somewhere other than that damn dome.
but one step at a time.go paladins beat the griz!
FUBeAR, purplehorse123, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #81918  by Bootie
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:08 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
NWS says snow. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 7&map_y=75

Thursday Rain before 8am, then rain and snow between 8am and 11am, then rain likely after 11am. Snow level 4200 feet lowering to 3600 feet. High near 43. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Thursday Night Rain and snow likely, becoming all snow after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Friday Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37.

Friday Night A chance of snow, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21.

“A broad Pacific trough remains on track to move across the
Northern Rockies late Wednesday into Friday. Snow levels will drop
down to 3,500 feet by Thursday morning, with moderate snow
impacting travel across mountain passes. A secondary shot of
colder air arrives Thursday night into Friday morning, with snow
levels reaching 2,000 feet. This period will need to be monitored
for valley snow and impacts, given unstable northwesterly flow
conducive to convective snow showers. By Friday PM, 48-hour snow
totals from the NBM4.2 50th percentile reach 1-2 feet above 5,000
feet across the northern Clearwaters, Cabinet, Mission, and Swan
Mountains, with 6-12” for the Bitterroot Mountains and Whitefish
Range. /Lukinbeal
Campus elevation 3,200’
 #81921  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:17 pm
Weather channel says partly cloudy high of 37
Accuweather says a little snow during the day high 38 partly cloudy Friday night.
At least the high temp has gone up a couple degrees.
It’s Monday, they don’t know.
 #81925  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:41 pm
Mods…FUBeAR thinks some of these posts need to be moved to the Montana NN thread…

BRISK & Dry - beautiful weather for Playoff Football