• Furman at Montana

#81805  by gman84
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:00 pm
It’s 2023, different team and different set of circumstances. This team knew this Montana trip was coming.
Last edited by gman84 on Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, rangab liked this
 #81806  by Paladin91
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:08 pm
Who the heck schedules a 9 pm game on Friday night? Seriously. From a scheduling and seeding standpoint, I feel like Montana always gets an unfair advantage. Yep, we blew our chances in the Wofford game, so we only have ourselves to blame. With that said, go up to Missoula and kick some "A".
AstroDin, gman84, Stumpy and 1 others liked this
 #81808  by furpal81
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:19 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:01 pm
Why did my nephew pick this coming weekend to get married???
My sister is getting married this weekend too
 #81810  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:42 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Who the heck schedules a 9 pm game on Friday night? Seriously. From a scheduling and seeding standpoint, I feel like Montana always gets an unfair advantage. Yep, we blew our chances in the Wofford game, so we only have ourselves to blame. With that said, go up to Missoula and kick some "A".
It’s 7PM local time.
Davemeister liked this
 #81811  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
I do not believe Montana fans are any more excited about a Friday night game than Furman fans are.
 #81812  by Davemeister
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:55 pm
The Griz fans will turn out in force. Let's send them home unhappy.
 #81813  by rudyscribe
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:01 pm
If you get to go to Montana and spend a few days around the game, I highly recommend driving the Go-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National Park if it is open. The most beautiful scenic drive I've every been on.
AstroDin liked this
 #81814  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:02 pm
furpal81 wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:19 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:01 pm
Why did my nephew pick this coming weekend to get married???
My sister is getting married this weekend too
As is my daughter.
 #81816  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:26 pm
Maybe instead of another alternate set of helmets a donor will get the cold weather jackets? If we’re serious about winning in the postseason, we should be prepared to play December games in Montana and the Dakotas
Roundball, dornb, Stumpy and 1 others liked this
 #81817  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:30 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:53 pm
If you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Remember, Wofford went up there in the playoffs and won on their field. Wofford.

Our team has spent the past four weeks in the upstate (bye, two home games, and a short trip to Spartanburg). I gotta imagine they're gonna relish the chance to go show what they've got against Montana.

Besides, we owe them one.
I think FUBeAR disproved this. In FCS this just isn’t the case. One we all know a good start in the polls allows you an advantage. One that we had this year

Also isn’t. Montana ONE AND FIFTEEN in the road? So they win titles without “beating the man”. So does NDSU. They never leave home and win championships.

I have no desire to play harder teams on the road. FUBeAR has shown how this - road games vs tough teams - is NOT the way to the title.

The way to the title is easy playing easy teams played at your field.

As someone here posts. We were dead in 2006 when they announced Furman at Montana State
The way to this year’s title for this year’s Furman Team is to beat Montana in Missoula this Friday night.

It is the truth, the light, and the way - the only way.

It is our Tao!
 #81825  by Flagman
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:15 pm
Hotel booked. Airline booked. Waiting on game ticket info.
AstroDin, apaladin, QCGlue liked this
 #81834  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:52 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
I do not believe Montana fans are any more excited about a Friday night game than Furman fans are.
I’m happy with the Friday night game, on National TV , only game on. If Saturday you are competing with a lot of other stuff going on, Would much rather be Friday night than the 10AM kickoff Villanova has. As for Montana fans they don’t care, they are showing up regardless, they played last night at 7 their time and was in full force in the snow.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davemeister liked this
 #81859  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:30 pm
Some early musings:

1. Do not expect a single national FCS voice to give Furman a snowball's chance to win this game. The Big Sky cabal has determined Furman was a paper tiger all season and taking up space in the top 10 that should go to another Big Sky team.

2. Looking at their depth chart, we match up with Montana physically on paper. This won't be a game where we are outgunned. Also notable that we are physically a more imposing team than Delaware, who is smaller than we are at a lot of positions.

3. I am glad they won big at home Saturday. My impression is they feel they are invincible at home, particularly against southern/eastern teams. They don't think we can come up there and beat them (though I believe the last SoCon team to come to Washington-Grizzly Stadium walked out a winner).

4. I'll watch some more of their games, but it looks like the Montana offense is going to maybe be a toned down version of Western Carolina/Samford. They'll go with tempo, try to spread you out, and live off explosive plays. Their offense has had some outstanding games recently, but also had periods of the season where they really struggled.

5. Defensively, I think we'll see a team a lot like us. Fundamentally sound, swarm the ball, tackle well, etc.

6. Furman has been really good against tempo teams in recent years. We have a lot of depth and can keep players rotating on the field quickly. It's hard to catch us in bad personnel matchups or wear us down defensively.

7. I suspect neither team will have a done a lot of homework on the other. Furman maybe has done a little more because our second round opponent was a familiar one, while Montana's was a fresh face. Both teams will be running off a short week. I don't know who a quick turnaround favors, if anyone, though I'd hope to see Hicks and Robinson available. They were a huge help Saturday.