• FURMAN-UTC RE-MATCH

#81500  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:52 am
Bootie wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:57 am
What are the chances the news about Artopeous being unavailable is a ruse?
Not a ruse
 #81502  by Paul C
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:34 am
The Aviation weather source I use shows Sat AM through about 1pm being mostly cloudy with some occasional light showers, with the heavier precip staying to the south of us. So tailgating should be ok. However it then shows the precip starting to increase in frequency and intensity around kickoff, with the heavier stuff moving into the area around 4pm. So for whatever that's worth....it doesn't appear we will be playing the game in a driving rain storm, but will have to contend with some showers and possibly extended moderate precip especially in the 2nd half.

for anyone curious, it's www.windy.com and it defaults to the more reliable European model which I've found pretty dang good inside of 48-72 hours....
Last edited by Paul C on Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #81503  by Paul C
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:38 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:
Not a ruse
I heard he actually had surgery on Monday.

More interested now in the status of Jay Person.
 #81506  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:19 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:38 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:
Not a ruse
I heard he actually had surgery on Monday.

More interested now in the status of Jay Person.
Looked, to FUBeAR, the way he fell, and the way they were holding it, that he dislocated that shoulder. Ability to play depends on the associated ligament and soft tissue damage around the dislocated joint. That can vary widely. He could need surgery to repair or he could be OK to play this Saturday. On the ‘usual’ continuum, FUBeAR would guess, he is likely to try to play, but will be significantly limited and may have to tap out after he takes a few hits on it.

Also - FUBeAR opines we should, perhaps, look to how Chatt handled Artopoeus’ injury ‘disclosure.’ They hid it for 3 or 4 weeks to ensure that APSU had to prepare for both QB’s. They could very well know that Person is not going to play, but they sure aren’t going to disclose that until they have to … even going so far as to have him dress, warm-up (non-contact) and line up with the 1st Team when they do any Team D walk thru’s during warmups. We won’t know if he’s gonna play until he does or doesn’t play ..unless they are ‘forced’ to tell us…as, perhaps, has occurred now with Artopoeus.
Victor Greene liked this
 #81507  by gman84
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:31 pm
There is a roster limit for the playoffs. It might determine how many available players dress.
 #81508  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:16 pm
Agree Jackal. Those routes for the TD vs us and the slant vs APU are somewhat similar. Point being we better be realllyy prepped for that type play. The back up qb threw a nice one to get a slant TD vs APU. Sure would help to get the qb pressure but even Bama never got to him. That’s. Crazy.

Stop the run. Get after the qb. Don’t allow big plays. And. It would really help if we could run the ball
 #81510  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:54 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:34 am
The Aviation weather source I use shows Sat AM through about 1pm being mostly cloudy with some occasional light showers, with the heavier precip staying to the south of us. So tailgating should be ok. However it then shows the precip starting to increase in frequency and intensity around kickoff, with the heavier stuff moving into the area around 4pm. So for whatever that's worth....it doesn't appear we will be playing the game in a driving rain storm, but will have to contend with some showers and possibly extended moderate precip especially in the 2nd half.

for anyone curious, it's www.windy.com and it defaults to the more reliable European model which I've found pretty dang good inside of 48-72 hours....
Thanks PC, a little good news is it should be around 60 and little wind. Dang I prolly shouldn’t have said that.
 #81518  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:22 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:07 pm
do we have any feel for whether or not huff will be ready for saturday?
Lt. Huff will be throwin' darts and spittin' nails all dang day!
Bootie, Victor Greene liked this
 #81522  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 pm
gofurman wrote:
Agree Jackal. Those routes for the TD vs us and the slant vs APU are somewhat similar. Point being we better be realllyy prepped for that type play. The back up qb threw a nice one to get a slant TD vs APU. Sure would help to get the qb pressure but even Bama never got to him. That’s. Crazy.

Stop the run. Get after the qb. Don’t allow big plays. And. It would really help if we could run the ball
You can go through the whole season and see UTC scoring on those routes over the middle. I think they hit on a 50+ yard throw against Alabama too.
 #81525  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:52 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:07 pm
do we have any feel for whether or not huff will be ready for saturday?
Showed him on the news tonight throwing in practice. He will start for sure.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #81526  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:53 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 pm
gofurman wrote:

You can go through the whole season and see UTC scoring on those routes over the middle. I think they hit on a 50+ yard throw against Alabama too.
…….and a wet field always favors a passing team.
 #81528  by Roundball
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:08 am
Interesting article on the effects of weather for NFL games. https://www.covers.com/nfl/how-weather-affects-betting

Here is another article. I found this part interesting. "You see an increase in fumbles and turnovers when it's raining," said Roth. "In general, teams will shift their game plan when it's raining a lot and hand the ball off more and throw the ball less – that means generally lower-scoring, and it kind of eats the clock a little bit more, as well."https://www.foxweather.com/lifestyle/ho ... s-football

https://www.pff.com/news/fantasy-footba ... ek-12-2017

From everything I have read, it seems as though a wet field alway favoring a passing team is a myth. I am not sure is that is true or not, but common sense tells me that an artificial turf negates the effects of a wet field.
 #81529  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:33 am
I think a wet field can favor an offense. They know where they are going and the defense does not.

I suppose there's a distinction between a wet field and it actually raining. If it's raining, you see fewer attempts and yards per attempt. Just harder to throw and catch the football.

The good news for football fans is neither team Saturday is an air raid offense, so it's not much gonna matter. UTC is probably going to have to throw it more than Furman, but they are by no means a "passing team."
FUpaladin08 liked this