• FURMAN-UTC RE-MATCH

#81328  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:24 pm
FUBeAR attended the Gardner-Webb @ Mercer game on Saturday. Great time, as always, and a great SoCon win.

2 things though ... no beer sales in stadium and no replays on the video board.

Figured these must be NCAA rules as, typically, Fall Line Brewery runs a great concession inside Five Star Stadium and they CRANK that video board - too much sometimes, the lights can be a bit too distracting....but nope - no beer & no replays.

BUT .... then saw on ESPN+ that people were drinking beers in the stands @ the Chatt @ APSU game ... Don't know about replays at any other games ... so ... FUBeAR is a-wonderin'

1) Wicked Weed endzone going to be in full operation this Saturday? How bout beer sales in other outlets within the stadium?

2) Of lesser importance, but still curious, will any replays be shown on the video board?

Who's IN THE KNOW???
hypercycloid liked this
 #81363  by purplehorse123
 Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:02 pm
To lose to Chatt would be a huge disappointment to end the season after a 9-1 start.

I have complete confidence that we will beat Chat. Complete confidence!
AstroDin liked this
 #81364  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:36 pm
I guess we will have a small crowd due to the iffy weather. We all know FU fans melt if they get a little wet. I will be there regardkess. Go Paladins!
Weather channel: 58% chance of rain.
Accuweather: 30% chance of rain.
NWS: 30% chance of rain after 3PM.
 #81366  by FUeveryday
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:24 am
apaladin wrote:
I guess we will have a small crowd due to the iffy weather. We all know FU fans melt if they get a little wet. I will be there regardkess. Go Paladins!
They need to suck it up.....playing up in north west will make some rain and 55 degrees look like a warm spring day.
 #81369  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:58 am
FUeveryday wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:24 am
apaladin wrote:
They need to suck it up.....playing up in north west will make some rain and 55 degrees look like a warm spring day.
Even better it’s supposed to be in the 60’s.
 #81379  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:46 am
According to Chatt’s beat writer, the former backup QB will be the Starting QB Saturday and going forward in the unlikely event Chattanooga were to defeat Furman [11:20]. He implies that Chatt’s former Starting QB is completely unable to throw a Football (with his usual throwing arm).

https://espnchattanooga.com/2023/11/27/ ... severance/

He also says he believes LB, SoCon DPOY, Jay Person will play…but qualifies that opinion as it just comes from what Person said to him immediately after the game last week.
 #81382  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:
According to Chatt’s beat writer, the former backup QB will be the Starting QB Saturday and going forward in the unlikely event Chattanooga were to defeat Furman [11:20]. He implies that Chatt’s former Starting QB is completely unable to throw a Football (with his usual throwing arm).

He also says he believes LB, SoCon DPOY, Jay Person will play…but qualifies that opinion as it just comes from what Person said to him immediately after the game last week.
Good information, thank you FUBeAR. While I may have an injury fetish... lets be honest - these two teams with

Huff and Roberto (and maybe some OL)..
and Chatt QB and Person (Socon DPOY) and Ailym Ford and number 7 (standout DB) and the starting kicker are dealing with key pieces.

Heck the backup Chatt kicker really played into the game v AP and wouldn't it be about time Furman gets a sweet Kickoff return. I noticed v Woffd that we were bringing more KOs out of the endzone - I wondered if that was an attempt to jump start O

Interesting about Person. I respect the FUBeAR and from your observation and the arm in a sling you felt it would be surprising if Person could go. I hope you are right
 #81383  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:42 am
Hendrix compared the backup a bit to Carson Jones. Both younger players, but appear to have similar physical makeup.

Furman is probably going to study that Alabama film a bit to get up to speed on Schomburg. While the Paladins are closer to Austin Peay than Alabama talent wise, one area where Furman is a lot more daunting than the Governors is in the pass rush. Furman has double the number of sacks (36) to Austin Peay (18) on the season. Furman notched 5 sacks against UTC in their first meeting.

UTC is probably going to look for ways to get Schomburg out of the pocket and get the ball out quickly. Furman throws a lot at you defensively, but I suspect the pass rush is going to be the thing that is most concerning to the Mocs' coaching staff.

UTC's offense still struggled against Austin Peay. What they did well was establish a running game and take some pressure off the young QB. Same drill as always - stop the run and make the QB uncomfortable.
 #81386  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:46 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Good information, thank you FUBeAR. While I may have an injury fetish... lets be honest - these two teams with

Huff and Roberto (and maybe some OL)..
and Chatt QB and Person (Socon DPOY) and Ailym Ford and number 7 (standout DB) and the starting kicker are dealing with key pieces.

Heck the backup Chatt kicker really played into the game v AP and wouldn't it be about time Furman gets a sweet Kickoff return. I noticed v Woffd that we were bringing more KOs out of the endzone - I wondered if that was an attempt to jump start O

Interesting about Person. I respect the FUBeAR and from your observation and the arm in a sling you felt it would be surprising if Person could go. I hope you are right
UTC's primary kickoff guy has managed only 1 touchback in their last three games (1 against Furman).

That could be a huge advantage to Furman, who has a couple of really good kick returners. In a game that may well be a defensive struggle, field position will be huge, especially if the weather is going to be cool and wet.
 #81393  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 pm
Away with words!

As they used to say in the First World War, it's time to "let the guns speak".

To the coaches & team: Defend Our House!
QCGlue liked this
 #81398  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:24 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:00 pm
FYP
 #81431  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:39 pm

ALSO...
https://gomocs.com/news/2023/11/27/foot ... aning.aspx
FCS PLAYOFFS: Round Two Has Double Meaning - 11/27/2023 3:35:00 PM
Redshirt freshman quarterback Luke Schomburg and the Chattanooga Mocs are off to Greenville, S.C., for a second matchup with the Furman Paladins.

CHATTANOOGA---The 18th-ranked Chattanooga Mocs are headed into round two this Saturday in Greenville, S.C. Round two of the FCS Playoffs as well as round two with the seventh-ranked Furman Paladins.

The Mocs and Paladins had a fierce regular season matchup ending in a 17-14 home loss for the good guys. Chattanooga is coming off an exciting 24-21 win at Austin Peay in the first round, while Furman had a bye as the tourney's seven seed.

The road has been kind to the Scenic City crew with five straight wins in FCS competition. That's the most consecutive road wins against like competition since 2014 when that squad advanced to the Quarterfinals which is where they go with a win Saturday at Paladin Stadium.

Video1 Here - 11-28-2023 Football Presser, Luke Schomburg & Alex Mitchell
Video2 Here - 11-28-2023 Football Presser, Rusty Wright