• FURMAN-UTC RE-MATCH

#81283  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:04 am
This site references an "injured shoulder" https://www.chattanoogan.com/2023/11/18 ... ainst.aspx

Could very well be that he injured his shoulder against Furman, as Artopoeus did not play QB against Alabama or Austin Peay. An injury affecting his ability to throw may well explain why he's fit enough to play, but not fit enough to play QB.

Here is UTC's final kick. Artopeous is the holder.

jesse174 liked this
 #81284  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:59 am
If he does have an injured shoulder, do you play Artopoeus at Furman against the SoCon number-one team in sacks and interceptions?

I will bet on the DINS to put some heat on the MOCS freshman QB.

I meant to add, I also give the nod to our defensive staff to dial up a great game plan from what they see on film. I'd think Vaughn and coaches got a lot to prep from the APSU game.
Choir Boy, dornb liked this
 #81285  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:50 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:59 am
If he does have an injured shoulder, do you play Artopoeus at Furman against the SoCon number-one team in sacks and interceptions?

I will bet on the DINS to put some heat on the MOCS freshman QB.

I meant to add, I also give the nod to our defensive staff to dial up a great game plan from what they see on film. I'd think Vaughn and coaches got a lot to prep from the APSU game.
You can't send a guy out there with an iffy throwing shoulder against our defense. If Artopoeus isn't close to a full go, we'll see the backup.

UTC isn't stellar on offense. They have a couple of quick receivers and try to get them the ball any sort of way. If you can get a handle on those two, you can really slow them down.

With the exception of the Kennesaw game and USC, Furman has done a pretty good job this year of bottling up the league's best receivers.

I think the question in this one is not whether we can stop the Mocs' offense, but whether Furman's offense can put some points on the board. I think this is a type game that will be the first team to 21 points wins.
tim, tim liked this
 #81287  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:36 am
STAT of the day

It is amazing how similar (and BAD) BOTH running games were in the first matchup.

BOTH Our guys and UTC ran-

30 times for a paltry 68 yards. 2.2 yards per carry. NOT what we want on offense

https://www.espn.com/college-football/m ... /401540589

Check it out. 68 yards rushing for both teams. Glad for our defense

As CCH always preaches. To win you run and stop the run. Well we stopped the run but we couldn’t run for junk. I think that was our lowest run total of the entire year ?? We even ran more vs USC.

EDIT. Confirmed. UTC held us to our lowest rushing total of the year at 68 yards so it sure would help if we could get more push up front or pass success to open up the run
 #81288  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 pm
A few thoughts on that.

Roberto ran a pretty healthy 4.1 ypc for 61 yards on 15 carries against UTC. That's a little under his season average, but not drastically so. As has been reported numerous times, Roberto has been running on a banged up ankle for most of the season.

Huff was also knocked out of that game early. Huff is our second leading rusher, averaging over 50 ypg and maybe our biggest threat in the run game. He was replaced by a backup QB that, to this point in his career, is virtually no threat to run.

With Roberto's lessening workload, we've seen carries for Myion Hicks increase. Hicks has primarily been used as a blocking fullback most of the season, but starts picking up Roberto's carries against VMI and Wofford. Especially against Wofford, he showed a little shake and bake against a tough run defense. The last two games Hicks has rushed for 110 yards and is averaging 5.7 ypc.

So, no, our run game didn't look great against UTC the first time around. Some of that is UTC has a really good defense.

We don't know who is going to take the field Saturday, but in a perfect world we could potentially have a full speed Huff and Roberto that has now had 2+ weeks to rest his ankle. Having those two at something close to full speed should make the run game look a lot more robust Saturday.
 #81290  by jesse174
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:37 pm
A few thoughts on that.

Roberto ran a pretty healthy 4.1 ypc for 61 yards on 15 carries against UTC. That's a little under his season average, but not drastically so. As has been reported numerous times, Roberto has been running on a banged up ankle for most of the season.

Huff was also knocked out of that game early. Huff is our second leading rusher, averaging over 50 ypg and maybe our biggest threat in the run game. He was replaced by a backup QB that, to this point in his career, is virtually no threat to run.

With Roberto's lessening workload, we've seen carries for Myion Hicks increase. Hicks has primarily been used as a blocking fullback most of the season, but starts picking up Roberto's carries against VMI and Wofford. Especially against Wofford, he showed a little shake and bake against a tough run defense. The last two games Hicks has rushed for 110 yards and is averaging 5.7 ypc.

So, no, our run game didn't look great against UTC the first time around. Some of that is UTC has a really good defense.

We don't know who is going to take the field Saturday, but in a perfect world we could potentially have a full speed Huff and Roberto that has now had 2+ weeks to rest his ankle. Having those two at something close to full speed should make the run game look a lot more robust Saturday.
If that happens good ...if not we need to figure out how to move the ball when they pack the box. If we figure that out we have a good chance to win...
 #81291  by FurmAlum
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:08 pm
No. Artopoeus did not throw any in pre-game warmups.
No. Artopoeus did not throw any in warmups previous to the second half.
No. Artopoeus did not throw any to loosen up at any time during the game.

He did hang out with the other QB's while they were loosening up before the second half but was just catching throws from backup QB2 and handing them to back-up QB1.

No, J Person did not return to the game in the second half.
 #81293  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:35 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

He did hang out with the other QB's while they were loosening up before the second half but was just catching throws from backup QB2 and handing them to back-up QB1.

Thanks - good observations Coach …

Yeah - he’s done then. No way he goes from ‘unable to throw a single pass in warmups’ to ready to go full tilt 7 days later. Expect FU will see the Moc QB who played against Bama and APSU.

So…this guy…

PASSING GP-GS Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
Schomburg,Luke 6-2 115.8 34-63-2 54.0 433 2 57 72.2

…instead of this guy…

Artopoeus,Chase 12-9 155.5 187-298-7 62.8 2672 20 70 222.7

Alrighty…
 #81294  by FurmAlum
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Yeah - he’s done then. No way he goes from ‘unable to throw a single pass in warmups’ to ready to go full tilt 7 days later. Expect FU will see the Moc QB who played against Bama and APSU.

So…this guy…

…instead of this guy…

Alrighty…
After checking with his lawyer, FurmAlum is not absolutely certain that Artopoeus didn't throw any balls. FurmAlum was too pre-occupied with trying to steal the signs that Arto was sending in to the troops. Looked like gibberish.
 #81295  by jesse174
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:45 pm
After watching the Wofford game, I am confused who we are and who will play..QB RB and OL...anyone have ideas on how good we are?? Can we return to what we were earlier in the year??
 #81296  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:42 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

So…this guy…

…instead of this guy…

Alrighty…
After checking with his lawyer, FurmAlum is not absolutely certain that Artopoeus didn't throw any balls. FurmAlum was too pre-occupied with trying to steal the signs that Arto was sending in to the troops. Looked like gibberish.
Did you pick up the Mocs signs for either of these plays…

1) Wildly desperate, ill-advised hurl of the Football into the endzone leading to an INT which the DB foolishly runs out so that the (possibly) intended receiver can snatch the ball out of his hands and fall back into the endzone play?

OR

2) O-Line runs “Look out” PassPro so QB gets smashed as he’s heaving a (probably) wildly desperate ill-advised hurl of the Football leading to a (potential) INT, but instead the ball turns into a seeing-eye drone and drops out of the sky into the hands of their WR who is running in the opposite direction of all of the opposing Players who are running toward the side of the field that the ball/drone was hanging in the air on for about 5 seconds, thus leaving the WR untouched as he trots to the empty side of the field and into the endzone play?
 #81297  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:34 pm
jesse174 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:45 pm
After watching the Wofford game, I am confused who we are and who will play..QB RB and OL...anyone have ideas on how good we are?? Can we return to what we were earlier in the year??
We're a good football team.

I look at it this way:

Wofford's offense scored 13 points
VMI scored 3
UTC scored 14 and one of those TDs was on a freakshow catch that they couldn't repeat with 100 tries.
ETSU scored 8
Western Carolina, the nation's top offensive team, scored 17
Samford, also one of the nation's top offenses, scored 21
Citadel scored 14 (maybe we were sleepwalking that game, I guess)
Mercer scored 14

Furman is surrendering under 14 points per game against SoCon opponents. They play another one on Saturday.

When we question the team, I think we really mean our offense just hasn't really looked in synch during times this season. Maybe our running back has been on a bad ankle. Maybe the offensive line hasn't gelled. Who knows.

What's apparent, though, is that we do the things you need to do to win championships - play suffocating defense, play well on special teams, and win the turnover battle.

Put another way, our offense basically needs to put 21 points on the board to have a really good chance at winning the football game.

If our offense just averaged 21 points every game (a fairly pedestrian number), we still would have won 8 games and gone to overtime with Samford.
jesse174, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #81318  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:55 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:39 am
Just saw this on X:
Astro, please let us know what is said. might not be able to catch it at work

***also, Astro, check your PM man. I have a question - thanks