• 2024 Recruiting

#80999  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:30 am
We'll probably start a transfer portal thread after our season is done, but an interesting name just announced he will enter as a grad transfer when the portal opens. Matthew Sluka from Holy Cross will be available. Given Coach Roper's ties to him and considering how much different our offense looks with a QB that can be a physical runner, he would be an interesting option.

I don't think Furman will go after him, but wouldn't hurt my feelings if they at least gauged his interest. He's a heckuva player. Might be a touch limited throwing the ball. I doubt they would with Jones, Garcia, and Hedden, but thought he might be one to keep an eye on depending on how the coaches feel about Jones being ready to be THE guy next year.
AstroDin, MNORM liked this
 #81000  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 am
Is Hedden the highly regarded recruit from Florida?
 #81001  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Correct. Given his quotes about being told he's going to be given a chance to earn the starting job from day 1, I doubt they would bring in another grad QB. Just thought with the connections it was an interesting name.
 #81006  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:11 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Correct. Given his quotes about being told he's going to be given a chance to earn the starting job from day 1, I doubt they would bring in another grad QB. Just thought with the connections it was an interesting name.
Quite a few Holy Cross players entering the transfer portal. You'd have to think Furman would at least consider it considering the connection to Roper and the similar type of university (a Furman "type of kid" as Hendrix might say).

I suspect our QB spot is a complete open competition next season. If Sluka wants to consider Furman, I cannot imagine brining a Peyton candidate to town to pair with his old OC would be a bad thing for Furman for one season. You still wouldn't "block" any of the younger QBs, the oldest of whom, Jones, is only a redshirt freshman.
bj93 liked this
 #81015  by AstroDin
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:20 pm
You never know how a true freshman will play against college competition as a first-year player.
Based on his film, Hedden is about as ready to step in as any QB I've seen in a while. He's physically mature, can sling it, and appears to have a high football IQ.

Sulka is interesting - it would be an obvious fit. Maybe if Roper could sell this as a one-year thing, similar to the way Montana State rotates its quarterbacks you can keep all players in the mix happy.

My guess, though is Hedden, is going to shoot to be the starter. I think he's that good too.

Also, Furman has some offensive weapons committed in this class.
 #81025  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:18 pm
I hope Hedden is that good. I've watched several of his games and all of the game highlights this year. He has all the tools for sure. He's not Huff, but he moves well enough to be effective in the run game. I'll be shocked if a true freshman wins the job over a guy who has 2 years and 2 off-seasons in the program. Now, if he graduates and enrolls early, then it would be a little less surprising.
 #81027  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:43 pm
Every Freshman is given the opportunity to win the starting job, at whatever position. Very very few ever do.

Sluka for year, then a more developed Carson Jones for 2 years, then this Hedden kid for a couple years.
 #81116  by Paladin68
 Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:47 pm
One of the top receivers in the state is Kory Jones from Pendleton. Great hands and great route runner. He is 6'4" ,210 lb. Father played QB at Georgia. He loves Furman. Hope they offer.
AstroDin liked this
 #81138  by AstroDin
 Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:08 am
Paladin68 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:47 pm
One of the top receivers in the state is Kory Jones from Pendleton. Great hands and great route runner. He is 6'4" ,210 lb. Father played QB at Georgia. He loves Furman. Hope they offer.
Kory is followed by four FU coaches; Hendrix, Dudzik, Odom, and our recruiting coordinator Verna. I'd say Furman knows who he is. He does look good, listed as another hybrid WR/TE.
 #81531  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:18 am
Am I the last one to know that Furman's Will Bouton has a son, William Bouton, that is an all-region LB? I can't find anything about him or any offers on social media. Hope we at least offer a PWO to him if he doesn't any scholarship offers! I'll try to do a end of season round up on the commits at some point. A lot of all-region honors for the current commits.

Also, the portal is already nuts, but next Monday is going to be bonkers. I have no idea if Furman will have anyone go in early if they win this weekend, but with all the movement that is likely to start happening, don't be surprised if some of our commits end up getting some new offers. The portal opening up 2 weeks before December signing day makes the next couple of weeks pretty crazy. Hope we can get to signing day without losing anyone!
hypercycloid liked this
 #81720  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:50 pm
Catching up on some of the highlights and honors for the current commits. I was wrong earlier, early signing day is December 20th.

Chase Gregorek

Gregorek made the all-region team

Senior season highlights

Steven O'Dell

All-Region and Region lineman of the year

Santino Varvel

Senior season highlights. Only played in 8 of the 11 games. Still decent numbers.
 #81724  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm
Noah Akinsola

Akinsola was a unanimous first team all-district selection

Malaki Dobbins

Dobbins was an all-conference selection

Berdendrick “Den” Johnson

End of season highlights
 #81726  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:05 am
Jackson Pryor

Jackson made the all-region team