• Quarles

#8097  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:41 pm
According to this writer for the Chattanooga Times Free Press, George Quarles is among the finalists for the UTC job.

#8098  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:44 pm
Just to note, two of those names are former UTC players. Chadwell was interviewed and believed to be the favorite before UTC hired Arth two years ago. Quarles is a name that makes sense as, for the second year, there is a job opening for an FCS school in Eastern Tennessee.

Selfishly, I hope we do not have to replace our offensive coordinator again.
dornb, Rokawaylifer liked this
 #8099  by paladinduece
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:46 pm
I guess if he is a finalist he pursued it. Would like the best for him, but sure hope he stays. The Wofford game was a damn symphony of play calling and I think a look into what he will become as our OC. Just need that field general to separate himself from the others.
FUBeAR, bj93, furman88 and 1 others liked this
 #8100  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:54 pm
paladinduece wrote:
I guess if he is a finalist he pursued it. Would like the best for him, but sure hope he stays. The Wofford game was a damn symphony of play calling and I think a look into what he will become as our OC. Just need that field general to separate himself from the others.
It could be. It's also one reporter citing his "sources."
paladinduece, FUKA61 liked this
 #8102  by paladinduece
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
Very true
 #8104  by fupaladin01
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 pm
I noticed that earlier today on Twitter and my blood ran cold. I hope CQ knows how loved he is at FU and I hope the university is paying him enough to keep him. He and CCH make a great team.
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #8106  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
Unnamed sources.
 #8107  by gofurman
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:41 pm
Remember. THIS is EXACTLY why the championship (? Fund was created. To retain coaches. Specifically assistant coaches. I’ll be pretty um. Not happy if we lose him. That would be 2 OC in two years

That. Fund is at CH discretion to retain his coaches
 #8108  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:55 pm
It is good that programs not only want our coaches, but want them as head coaches.
 #8117  by fufanatic
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:00 pm
Our hope (maybe only hope) is that the call of his alma mater overshadows any desire to go back to a state where he was THE MAN. I'm sure he would have zero trouble recruiting in-state talent to stay on at UTC and would make them a contender again quickly.
 #8124  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:26 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:00 pm
Our hope (maybe only hope) is that the call of his alma mater overshadows any desire to go back to a state where he was THE MAN. I'm sure he would have zero trouble recruiting in-state talent to stay on at UTC and would make them a contender again quickly.
You're building a pretty good case for him to go, if he's asked. Pretty sure the money would be better. Hopefully, he wants to finish what he started here.
 #8133  by FUPlayer74
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 pm
gofurman wrote:
Remember. THIS is EXACTLY why the championship (? Fund was created. To retain coaches. Specifically assistant coaches. I’ll be pretty um. Not happy if we lose him. That would be 2 OC in two years

The fund was created , among other things, to help retain the coaches. There comes a point where the salary of an assistant to HC ( maybe 5x) is too much to overcome and not feasible.
 #8136  by JohnW
 Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:37 pm
I don't think he's leaving but if he does, would there be enough in the kitty to lure Cronic back?
 #8147  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:26 am
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:30 pm
gofurman wrote:

The fund was created , among other things, to help retain the coaches. There comes a point where the salary of an assistant to HC ( maybe 5x) is too much to overcome and not feasible.
74, you are definitely right. Though I don't know assistant salaries. I guess if you are saying (5 X then assistants only get 40-50k? Because Arth was making 185 K at UTC.. Though maybe he made more w camps and radio ? Maybe low 200s?

I just don't want to see us lose BOTH OC in two years ...that's Brutal. When you have co-OC you kind of figure if you are successful you may lose one but retain the other for several years. The other piece is it wouldn't just hurt our Offensive continuity but would lock up some Tennessee talent we have probably been getting as Quarles is a big name in Tennessee

Also, interesting that I don't THINK (am I wrong?) that NDSU has been losing assistant coaches or not many over this phenomenal run ... How is that ??? yes, they lost HC Bohl five years ago or so. And now HC Kielman after several more national titles ... But each of those guys won several NATIONAL titles. And I don't think NDSU lost many assistants in that time. How do they do that ? How do they keep basically the same assistants over a time of 6 national titles?

Captain Obvious here- but coaches make such a BIG difference ... This staff took us from three wins to 8 in one year. Now SoCon champs. Please stay CoachQ !!!
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.