• Wofford

#80350  by Fred Garvin
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:42 am
Why should Whoford get CCLOT?????
Because they PHIC!
FUBeAR liked this
 #80385  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm
Been watching this a bit. Just watching Jones has been impressive. He's in complete control out there.

I noticed this a few times, but watch Jones manipulate the defense with his eyes during this game. He frequently looks off receivers, which causes the defenders to react and move, allowing him open space to throw the ball.

VMI is not an easy team to play against from a coverage standpoint. They throw a lot at you with their disguised pressure. I suspect if Jones is under center Saturday, Wofford is not going to let him have the kind of time to throw he did last week. He just picks VMI apart in this one.

Choir Boy liked this
 #80386  by Bootie
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:30 pm
Been watching this a bit. Just watching Jones has been impressive. He's in complete control out there.

I noticed this a few times, but watch Jones manipulate the defense with his eyes during this game. He frequently looks off receivers, which causes the defenders to react and move, allowing him open space to throw the ball.

VMI is not an easy team to play against from a coverage standpoint. They throw a lot at you with their disguised pressure. I suspect if Jones is under center Saturday, Wofford is not going to let him have the kind of time to throw he did last week. He just picks VMI apart in this one.

The fakes he makes on the TD throw to Pline are so beautiful.
 #80389  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:45 pm
I maybe under appreciated our OL play Saturday. I'm not sure VMI really got anywhere near him most of the afternoon.
 #80470  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:43 pm
We need to demolish who-fford on Saturday to prove we’re worthy and deserving of the #2 seed.
bj93, dornb, Choir Boy liked this
 #80480  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:45 am
Game notes: https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/side ... _Stats.pdf

Casual observation. I know we have a lot of seniors, but I really think that this team is still set up to be good going forward. The great programs in college football are able to sustain losses every season and reload with the next wave of players.

For instance, at safety, we start two seniors - Ryan and Brinson. Watching the VMI game, I saw extensive playing time for Caleb Williams, a sophomore, and AK Burrell, a freshman. I was surprised to see that Williams has already played in 21 games as a Paladin and Burrell, as a true freshman, has played in every game this season. They'll be more than ready to take the reins next season.

He doesn't get as much credit on here, but I've been impressed with Coach Bernardi and the S&C crew. I was completely surprised watching the VMI game at how many of our freshman rotating into the game late looked physically ready for a D1 football game. We were bringing on guys for their first college action and they looked every bit as big as the seniors they were replacing.
Choir Boy liked this
 #80482  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:54 am
The Jackal wrote:
He doesn't get as much credit on here, but I've been impressed with Coach Bernardi and the S&C crew. I was completely surprised watching the VMI game at how many of our freshman rotating into the game late looked physically ready for a D1 football game. We were bringing on guys for their first college action and they looked every bit as big as the seniors they were replacing.

Agreed. I think most people know he's done a great job, but we probably should talk about it more than we do. It wasn't that long ago where it felt like we looked very slow overall as a team. We looked faster than VMI at every position on Saturday, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in overall team speed when we play teams like Western. Bigger, stronger, faster everywhere compared to where we were before Hendrix took over.

The freshmen that have played have been impressive. The 3 guys who were tied at 3rd in tackles in the VMI game were all true freshmen. The two guys after them are a redshirt freshman and redshirt sophomore. Chappel and Hinton have played a lot as true freshmen. Enjoying this year for a long as possible as we'll never have this many experienced seniors again, but very encouraged for continued success in the future from what we've seen behind the upperclassmen so far.
hypercycloid, dornb liked this
 #80496  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:25 pm
Big reason for the success. CCH always speaks highly of him.
 #80503  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:11 pm
Why am I nervous about this game?
 #80505  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Casual observation. I know we have a lot of seniors, but I really think that this team is still set up to be good going forward. The great programs in college football are able to sustain losses every season and reload with the next wave of players.

For instance, at safety, we start two seniors - Ryan and Brinson. Watching the VMI game, I saw extensive playing time for Caleb Williams, a sophomore, and AK Burrell, a freshman. I was surprised to see that Williams has already played in 21 games as a Paladin and Burrell, as a true freshman, has played in every game this season. They'll be more than ready to take the reins next season.

Huff and Blackshear listed as or... I doubt we see Huff. though we need to WIN !! HUUUUUUUUUUGE game. do not take this lightly guys. Woff coulda beat WCU and did beat Citadel in their last 2 games. They aren't great but they are far better than they were a few weeks ago ! this game means so much!
bj93 liked this
 #80506  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:

I hope for the best but let's not exaggerate. Score with Starters was 34-0 for Furman v VMI in first half. In second half as backups came in.. 3 - 3. And it coulda been 7-3 for VMI. Cmon. Its not close
 #80508  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:36 pm
I didn't say they were as good as the seniors. I said they were physically filled out for D1 football.

Also, a lot of our "starters" last Saturday didn't start this season as starters. We played a backup QB. Our LG was our third or fourth different starter this season. Our leading rusher was a wide receiver to start the season. Our second leading rusher was maybe our 4th or 5th RB to begin the year. We had a long passing TD to a guy not even listed on the depth chart.
 #80516  by Paul C
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:11 pm
Why am I nervous about this game?
for all the reasons we love you this doesn't surprise us :) :) :)
apaladin, Choir Boy liked this
 #80573  by dornb
 Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:18 pm
Here is the radio network preview. Good stuff!
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.