• Wofford

#80118  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:14 pm
How'd I overlook this?

How's this for a throwback - QB under center. Two TEs. Two backs in the I formation. The only thing this is miss on the "old school" meter is the fullback with his hand in the dirt.

#80119  by Louis Tully
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:20 pm
I fully expect us to be comfortably ahead at the half giving our back ups ample playing time in the 2nd half.
 #80120  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:26 pm
This is what should really get Furman fans excited about the future.

Third and six. VMI walks 8 men up to the line. The QB has no idea where the pressure is going to come from or even if there is going to be pressure. This is one thing VMI does really well - simulate pressure in passing situations. You don't see a lot of defenses in the FCS do what VMI is doing here.

VMI brings six and eventually seven when you consider the OLB coming late. Even the ILB feigns pressure and then drops out. it's a lot to process quickly.

Jones feels the pressure, moves up in the pocket, then over, then knowing he's going to get hit, throws a dime off his back foot to Shiflett along the sideline. Just unbelievable recognition and poise from the freshman.

#80121  by Louis Tully
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:29 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:15 pm
14-14. 1975. 1980. 1993.
The ‘75 game was at old Snyder Field. If my memory is correct we hit the cross bar with the game winning field goal and it bounced back. Memory fades but I think Andy Goss was the kicker. Vince Perone also ran a kick off back over there in the early/mid 70’s. 102 yards.
FUBeAR liked this
 #80133  by saltyshaker
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:17 pm
important to try to bury wofford to get to best possible playoff seed.a two seed would be home playoffs until the finals whereas a 3 or lower seed brings up the possibility of a road trip in the semis to either the dakotas or montana .who wants to play a december game in 10 degree weather?
bj93, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #80135  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:03 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
important to try to bury wofford to get to best possible playoff seed.a two seed would be home playoffs until the finals whereas a 3 or lower seed brings up the possibility of a road trip in the semis to either the dakotas or montana .who wants to play a december game in 10 degree weather?
On the other hand, beating one of the Montana schools at their place in December would sure shut up the Big Sky crowd.
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #80138  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:58 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:51 pm
this will be FU’s first game on real grass ....
....first game on grass all year????? wow....the apocalypse is upon us.
Looked like the real stuff to FUBeAR there in Williams-Brice Stadium on 9/2... not like the bluish greenish outdoor carpet they had in '82. Ernest Gibson left about 1/2 pound of ground chuck (formerly his leg flesh) on the turf when he blocked that punt and recovered it in the endzone. His recovery was a BIG slide to get the ball...and lose his leg meat. Don't think it healed up fully until the next Spring.
Bootie liked this
 #80139  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
On the other hand, beating one of the Montana schools at their place in December would sure shut up the Big Sky crowd.
No. It won't.

FUBeAR has had occasion recently to interact with those peeps. Actually had to pull 2 of 'em off of HKB60. One of the Furman Staff's Family Members coined the perfect phrase to describe them - "Willfully ignorant"

They truly HATE facts and they will try, without rest, to wrestle simple facts that they don't like into submission. And they are FULL-OUT NO FILTER on their boastful claims of all types and manners of superiority over anyone and anything...except the MVFC. They actually are able to use cloaking magic to wrap themselves in the accomplishments of MVFC Football Teams. It's the dangdest thing you've ever seen.
QCGlue liked this
 #80140  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:36 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:48 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 am
Do NOT take this game lightly. It’s all business. Go Paladins !

gofurman, are you skeered of the Terriers?
Dave, I am very skeered.
Davemeister liked this
 #80141  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:41 pm
Think about killing the opponent. And I am the injury worry. Do not think about backups unless 2nd Hal. I still hate that year they beat us twice. Kill them. Run it up. Heck, just win. This is THE GAME. THE ONLY GAME. win and see what we get !
 #80153  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:12 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:20 pm
I fully expect us to be comfortably ahead at the half giving our back ups ample playing time in the 2nd half.
Same thing was thought against Citadel and ETSU, didn’t happen. I expect this game to be more uncomfortable than we would like, but I hope you are right.
 #80157  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:54 am
saltyshaker wrote:
This. Do not hesitate. ALL BUSINESS PALADINS. BURY THEM.

and yes, they are empirically improving-
last 3 games

AT Mercer. Lost 31-17. Honestly not bad
Vs WCU. lost 28-25. I was quite surprised
AT Citadel. Win 11-3. Not sure what I expected. But they have a defense

Those are not three scores that are the same as early in the year. They aren’t. The early game that showed a defense with some possibility was UTC.
UTC only won 23-13. That’s a little selective I admit. But the other 3 scores represent the latest three scores
 #80158  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:00 am
AGAIN I want to note MATCHUPS. MATCHUPS. not just talent

VMI can’t stop the run… blowout. (Or was unwilling for some unknown reason to stack the box heavily between tackles)
Two tough teams - WCU. UTC. who do we always score a ton on? Western. Because they can’t stop the run!! This year 29 points vs WCU.
UTC can stop the run (great DL LB) and guess what? It’s a 50/50 battle. This year 3 points at half and 17 for the game. I would far rather us play Western.

Those too close for comfort games like ETSU 16-8 ? That’s low scoring “muck it up” game that plays to the underdog??? We ran 30 times for roughly 80+ yards. Less than 3 yards per carry.

The key to Woff having a shot is stopping the run. Jones looked GREAT but making a new guy throw it is better than letting us run for 5 yards per carry. When we can run it’s 29 points on Western or 37 points on VMI. When we struggle to run we score 16 on a BAD BAD ETSU team

Our D is always there. Our O is more hit or miss. This is without a doubt. Our O is strong when we can RUN THE BALL
 #80166  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:46 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
No. It won't.

FUBeAR has had occasion recently to interact with those peeps. Actually had to pull 2 of 'em off of HKB60. One of the Furman Staff's Family Members coined the perfect phrase to describe them - "Willfully ignorant"

They truly HATE facts and they will try, without rest, to wrestle simple facts that they don't like into submission. And they are FULL-OUT NO FILTER on their boastful claims of all types and manners of superiority over anyone and anything...except the MVFC. They actually are able to use cloaking magic to wrap themselves in the accomplishments of MVFC Football Teams. It's the dangdest thing you've ever seen.
They are absolutely livid Furman may be the 2 or 3 seed.

Unfortunately, Furman is now going to have to deal with the weight of carrying conference credibility with them.

Double unfortunately, the committee is almost assuredly going to send a SoCon team to Furman in the second round, when it would be really fun to watch a team like Western Carolina go to Fargo.
FUBeAR, wcugrad95 liked this
 #80167  by MidlandsPaladin
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:07 am
About to drop $56 on two tickets to the game. Woffy will make more this week off of Furman fans than they will all other games this season combined. It will be worth every penny, though. 8-)
QCGlue liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.