• Wofford

#80002  by FurmanATT
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:32 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:19 am
I stand corrected. Going forward puke yellow will be referred to as *beige.
Robert Earl Keen: "... like an aging desperado ... who paints the town beige." -- MD
 #80004  by Bootie
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:06 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:48 pm
Can't help but laugh at the state of the Wofftard athletics program, their own fans don't even show up, bet they get about 2k football fans and 800 basketball fans per game these days in reality :lol:
Don't forget that we spent a long time in the cellar struggling to muster up wins and fans. One day the situation will likely be reversed and you'll have to read some comments like this from a Wofford fan, and you'll probably feel like they're a jackass for it.
 #80005  by cavedweller2
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:15 pm
14-14. 1975. 1980. 1993.
 #80008  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:48 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
14-14. 1975. 1980. 1993.
Can you delete and repost this in the Negative thread?

11/15/1980 was a wet, muddy day in Sirrine Stadium and the YappyDogs sorry NAIA butts, who had lost to the bellhops by 30+ 2 weeks before, knocked us out of consideration to play against Florida in the Tangerine Bowl with that 14-14 tie. Maryland beat Clemson that day and beat Virginia the following week to snag our Bowl spot.

10-1 SoCon Champion Furman, with only a loss to Carolina (#5 UNC), was looking more bowl worthy than a 6-3 ACC also-ran Maryland until that day.

A 9-1-1 Furman with a late-season tie to a mediocre-in-the-NAIA Wofford was of no interest whatsoever.

The best Furman Team in decades choked and a not-good-at-all Wofford Team ruined our post-season position.

Hmmm….maybe we should leave this here after all. Kinda one a them cautionary tales, ain’t it?
Bootie, Victor Greene, FU69 liked this
 #80010  by cavedweller2
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm
Crapped in the hat that gloomy November day. Lest it shall not happen again.
FUBeAR, Bootie, FU69 liked this
 #80011  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:34 pm
Looked a bit into Wofford. The Terriers are an interesting group.

First, the offense looks like a builder-basic spread attack that has really struggled this season. They don't seem to have a lot of faith in either one of their QBs and do not throw the ball well. I believe their best receiver has around 20 yards per game.

They feed their feature RB a lot. It's not demonstrably different than what we've seen from them in the post-Ayers years.

Defensively, they have some players. A lot of the guys we've seen before. They are a base 3-4 and seem a lot more willing to completely stack the box than, say, VMI was. We're going to have to throw it on them.

I was kind of surprised looking at their depth chart that most of their starting lineup is juniors and seniors. They've had a rough year, but I don't think it's lack of experience. They've got a number of guys that have played a lot of football for them.

I think this will be a similar approach to the VMI game - Wofford has hit 20 points only twice this season. I think Furman does what it can to keep putting up points knowing at some point, the Terriers are going to have a really hard time mounting multiple drives against out defense needed to win.
 #80013  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:15 pm
The Jackal wrote:

#80019  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:32 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:59 pm
Crapped in the hat that gloomy November day. Lest it shall not happen again.
I was there and to say it was muddy and sloppy was an understatement. Prolly the most embarrassing tie in FU football history.
FU69 liked this
 #80021  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:53 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
14-14. 1975. 1980. 1993.
I watched 1993. That was a pisser. Take care of business !!!!!!
 #80022  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:01 am
The Jackal wrote:

First, the offense looks like a builder-basic spread attack that has really struggled this season. They don't seem to have a lot of faith in either one of their QBs and do not throw the ball well. I believe their best receiver has around 20 yards per game.

They feed their feature RB a lot. It's not demonstrably different than what we've seen from them in the post-Ayers years.

Defensively, they have some players. A lot of the guys we've seen before. They are a base 3-4 and seem a lot more willing to completely stack the box than, say, VMI was. We're going to have to throw it on them.

I was kind of surprised looking at their depth chart that most of their starting lineup is juniors and seniors. They've had a rough year, but I don't think it's lack of experience. They've got a number of guys that have played a lot of football for them.

I think this will be a similar approach to the VMI game - Wofford has hit 20 points only twice this season. I think Furman does what it can to keep putting up points knowing at some point, the Terriers are going to have a really hard time mounting multiple drives against out defense needed to win.
I was surprised at how VMI didn’t stack the box more. It gave us what we wanted. And what do you know? Our best offense in numerous games. Weird. All the prior games people sold out stopping our run game and we scored less. Yes, our Qb had a GREAT day but still surprised at the numbers (6/7) VMI had in the box.

Anyway note that Wofford is improving ! Blowouts. Then pushed WCU hard. Then beat Citadel. That WCU score showed me something.

Do NOT take this game lightly. It’s all business. Go Paladins !
 #80023  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:12 am
Watching VMI's games, they would frequently walk up players on the edges, but rarely did you see them jam the entire defense inside the tackles, even against run heavy teams.

Wofford looks like they'll jam everyone inside the tackles.
 #80024  by Bootie
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Watching VMI's games, they would frequently walk up players on the edges, but rarely did you see them jam the entire defense inside the tackles, even against run heavy teams.

Seems like the easy answer to that is to do pitchouts and runs around the ends, yeah, no??
 #80026  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:49 am
Bootie wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:18 am
The Jackal wrote:

Seems like the easy answer to that is to do pitchouts and runs around the ends, yeah, no??

Furman prefers to run a lot of zone concepts and stretch plays - teams counter that by trying to add more bodies to the run than we have blockers to block.

Yes, you can counter that by getting outside. You can run play action and punish teams for overcommitting their linebackers. You can throw downfield and force them to respect the deep ball.

When we've gotten in trouble this year, it's against these aggressive attacking defenses that have made up their mind to force us to throw. We'll have a negative play, get behind the sticks, misthrow a ball and then punt.

What put VMI in such a pickle is that we were throwing downfield on them. Now you can't afford to commit more bodies to the run, because we demonstrated that we can throw it over your heads. At that point, a defense just starts guessing.
Bootie liked this
 #80031  by Louis Tully
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 am
We beat Wofford with our second string. Sit the starters. Dont risk injury. They are terrible.
 #80033  by din23
 Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:02 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:23 am
We beat Wofford with our second string. Sit the starters. Dont risk injury. They are terrible.
Nope. Don’t let up. Don’t mess around. Don’t make players have two weeks off to get rusty.
apaladin, bj93 liked this