• SoCon Title/Playoffs

#79648  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:50 pm
I think the only thing weighing against that position is, at that point, the committee just needs to assume they subjectively believe that the SoCon just isn't good enough. I'm not sure how you objectively reach that conclusion with leagues that play virtually no common opponents.

Remember, two weeks ago the committee had Furman slotted as #3 in their preliminary rankings. Since that time, the #2 team last lost while Furman has won twice, including a win on the road over a top 15 team.

I get that the national pundits want to dock Furman, but Furman really hasn't done anything to warrant being docked. If you drop a 10-1 Furman out of the top 4, the committee basically just has to concede that a team they thought was #3 at the end of October, who hasn't lost, who has beaten another ranked team since that time, just subjectively isn't as good as the second or third best team in some of these other conferences.

I'm also inclined to think that the committee is unlikely to load up every seed from two conferences, especially when there just are not common opponents to compare the programs.
 #79650  by youwouldno
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:28 pm
If the paladins finish the regular season undefeated in FCS with a #2 poll ranking, I don't think it's feasible they could seed FU worse than 4th.

Samford got a 6 seed last year with a similar profile, but there were more teams with 0 or 1 losses and, relatedly, Samford was ranked lower in the polls, finishing 8th in the last regular season STATS poll.
 #79652  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:42 pm
Last season, Samford started the season unranked and really were buoyed by early season win over top 10 Kennesaw State, who everyone assumed would be better than they ended up being.

Samford didn't even crack the top 10 until like Week 9. By the last quarter of the season, there was very little movement inside the top 5, and there were two teams - Holy Cross and Incarnate Word - that were really good but played in a conference where they were unlikely to lose. There just wasn't a lot of space to keep moving Samford up.

Samford sort of jumped into that seeded spot after Weber State lost late in the season and, I think, the committee valued a 10-1 SoCon champ over Holy Cross and Incarnate Word, who had a significantly lower strength of schedule.

Furman is a bit different this season because we already started the season well up the rankings, so we just didn't have nearly as many teams to jump every week to sort keep climbing inside the top 10.
 #79753  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:48 pm
Nice addition, longest droughts was 1990-99 2004-13 those were some rough years.
 #79817  by Affirm
 Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:48 pm
Nice addition, longest droughts was 1990-99 2004-13 those were some rough years.
• ”Zero for 8” in the 8 years that started with 1991 was rough for us Furman fans. And that 8 began within just 3 short years after winning the FCS National Championship.
• “Zero for 8” in the 8 years that started with 2005 was also rough for us Furman fans.
• The business at hand from now through 12/22/2024 is absolutely the most important. WE ARE FAR FROM BEING FINISHED THIS YEAR!
• After that, let’s all do everything WE can to help make sure we Furman fans (and future Furman fans) do NOT have to wait another 9 years, and NOT EVEN wait another 5 years, before Furman wins its next SoCon FB Championship.
• Beat VMI!
dornb liked this
 #79882  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:39 am
Biggest SoCon game today is in Charleston. Who gets their first win? WC or Citadel?
 #79885  by Bootie
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:07 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:39 am
Biggest SoCon game today is in Charleston. Who gets their first win? WC or Citadel?
I’m hoping for a 0-0 tie at the end of regulation.
FUBeAR liked this
 #79913  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Don't look now, but Weber State is up on #4 Idaho and driving inside the 5.

Idaho losing would be huge for Furman. That's one of those teams people think could jump us in the standings with a stronger strength of schedule
 #79917  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:14 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:49 pm
Don't look now, but Weber State is up on #4 Idaho and driving inside the 5.

Idaho losing would be huge for Furman. That's one of those teams people think could jump us in the standings with a stronger strength of schedule
Weber St 31
Idaho. 29