• Moving on to UTC

#79057  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:38 am
I think the game is going to come down to two things:

(1) Can Furman get the "secondary" stuff working? We know the Paladins are going to face a stacked box - every team with the personnel to do it is going to try to throw more bodies at our offensive line than we have to block. Furman is going to need to be able to get the passing game going and has to threaten UTC with Huff running the ball. We did not do a great job of forcing ETSU to respect the quick passing plays to the receivers and TEs or the QB run last Saturday like we did against Western. If we don't, the Mocs are going to sit dead red on Roberto and, as we've seen, that makes life hard for our offense.

(2) Can we get pressure on defense? UTC's QB can play, but we've faced QBs that can play. Furman has been really good the last few weeks of getting after the QB, forcing them to move their feet, throw with hands in their face, and rush their progressions. UTC is down their best running back, and we know they are not likely to sit there and try to pound away at our defensive front - we're better suited for that type of game than they are at this point. I suspect we'll see Artropeous throwing maybe 30-40 times.

Furman has answered the bell every time in these big games. I suspect we'll be ready for it.
 #79058  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm
Like it or not I suspect we rolled out the “base offense” last week and it showed. I’m looking for the return of Huff moving the chains, Dean/Ferguson/Pline in the passing game, and some Wayne Anderson change of pace.
FUBeAR, gofurman, Choir Boy and 1 others liked this
 #79060  by Chuckles
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 pm
My crazy daughter has talked me into driving to Chattanooga early tomorrow morning. Where is the best place to park for the game?
FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #79061  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:05 pm
Chuckles wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:04 pm
My crazy daughter has talked me into driving to Chattanooga early tomorrow morning. Where is the best place to park for the game?
Gold Lot - surrounded by the Stadium/Reggie White Blvd/Main/Chestnut - $15 no cash / card only
Chuckles liked this
 #79062  by FUTex
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:36 pm
I predict Artopeous will throw 20-25 passes in the game. The reason is to throw 30 or more would mean lots of incompletions and shorter yards for first downs in longer drives, and because Artopeous is averaging about 9 yards per pass (which is a lot) I think we'll see shorter duration drives of scores and 3-and-outs... let's hope more of the latter. Besides, Furman O can consume a lot of clock, so Artopeous will not have enough opportunity for 30 passes. Well, let's again hope not.

Furman 31 UTC 24. The Paladins have the mojo on their side.
Bootie, FUBeAR liked this
 #79063  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:52 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:39 pm
Like it or not I suspect we rolled out the “base offense” last week and it showed. I’m looking for the return of Huff moving the chains, Dean/Ferguson/Pline in the passing game, and some Wayne Anderson change of pace.
This. We were running against too many guys in the box. trying to block more guys than is possible ( FUBeAR I do know a little and I AGREE, it's not just OL, it is play calling etc.). (as you said, don't just yell "block someone"-- That is an impossible task unless your 6 guys can just run over their 9 guys. And that is almost impossible. Unless it is Bama vs sisters of the poor nunnery.

We played close to the vest (almost too close for my liking at 6-0 at half) last week.

this week Huff has to be a big threat.. throws to WRs and screens and TE and the whole play book. I hope Huff keeps 7-10 runs
 #79064  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:56 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:38 am
I think the game is going to come down to two things:

(1) Can Furman get the "secondary" stuff working? We know the Paladins are going to face a stacked box - every team with the personnel to do it is going to try to throw more bodies at our offensive line than we have to block. Furman is going to need to be able to get the passing game going and has to threaten UTC with Huff running the ball. We did not do a great job of forcing ETSU to respect the quick passing plays to the receivers and TEs or the QB run last Saturday like we did against Western. If we don't, the Mocs are going to sit dead red on Roberto and, as we've seen, that makes life hard for our offense.

(2) Can we get pressure on defense? UTC's QB can play, but we've faced QBs that can play. Furman has been really good the last few weeks of getting after the QB, forcing them to move their feet, throw with hands in their face, and rush their progressions. UTC is down their best running back, and we know they are not likely to sit there and try to pound away at our defensive front - we're better suited for that type of game than they are at this point. I suspect we'll see Artropeous throwing maybe 30-40 times.

Furman has answered the bell every time in these big games. I suspect we'll be ready for it.
Agree on both counts. HAVE to complete enough passes to deflect stacking the box and get soem yards with Huff as he pulls it from Roberto or on scrambles. Love to see him make them consider not blitzing on the edge by getting some good runs.

On D, while we have doone better of late against deep passes we still know we are susceptible. What has changed is our ability to get pressure on QBs. That has helped us tremendously. Get to the Qb and sack. sacks and get the hands up to make passes tough
 #79066  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:33 pm
Looks like the all white unis with Purple helmets, same as wore at WCU.
 #79067  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Which to me is fine as long as the other team doesn’t also have purple helmets. That was hard to get past at Western.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #79068  by gman84
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:08 pm
apaladin wrote:
What tells you this?
 #79072  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:47 pm
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
What tells you this?
Here you go!

gman84 liked this
 #79073  by Stumpy
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:15 pm
I'm an expert, and I think the game will come down to one thing:

We need to score more points than they do.

I hope that both our offense and defense are up to that task.
Bootie, MNORM, AstroDin and 2 others liked this
 #79075  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:20 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:47 pm
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
What tells you this?
Here you go!

Could just be they reused photos from last road game.

Wearing purple helmets against a team wearing white helmets makes gobs more sense than wearing them against a team also wearing purple.

Of course, Furman used to be the only team with a white lid, and now just about everyone wears white helmets, so what do I know
 #79079  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:49 am
Best of luck to our squad today, I hope we get to celebrate SoCon title #15 by this evening!
FUBeAR, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.