• SoCon Title/Playoffs

#78246  by Flagman
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:56 pm
I like his bracket. With one upset in the top half of the bracket, we could be at home every week.
dornb liked this
 #78463  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:37 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:24 pm
Just have a feeling, they are gonna Committee…

1) SDSU
2) MTSt
3) SD
4) DE or MT or ID
5) FU … hopefully, no lower…could see them UIW’ing, SacStating, NC Central’ing, SoILL’ing, or even NDSU’ing, any or all, ahead of FU

….hope to be BAD WRONG
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #78464  by gman84
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:49 pm
The only way to hopefully not get totally screwed is take care of our business. Don't leave the committee with any doubt! And find a pit viper rattle.
FUBeAR liked this
 #78468  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:23 pm
1) SDSU
2) MTSt
3) FU
4) SD
5) DE
6) MT
7) ID
8) SacSt
9) WCU
10) UIW
 #78470  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:25 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm
First official FCS playoff rankings. Furman is 3. Western is 9.
Really good for both SoCon teams.

We already know that teams ahead of WCU are going to have to lose (because they play one another).

It's also good for Western that Incarnate Word is behind them - UIW is in a weak conference and will likely win out, but it's clear that the committee values a potential 9-2 Western over a 10-1 UIW.
 #78492  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:24 pm
WCU is almost assured of a seed as they have no one left on their schedule. Most likely they will finish 9-2.
 #78493  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:24 pm
WCU is almost assured of a seed as they have no one left on their schedule. Most likely they will finish 9-2.
Welp - this is the big one this weekend folks. Can WCU recover from the physical beating they took last Saturday?

FUBeAR tried to tell 'em not to play Reid last week as he's now reinjured himself and, almost certainly, made it worse.... "Oh no, FUBeAR, it's not even the same injury. Coach Bell said it was a different injury... (to the same hamstring on the same leg) ...y'know...it's really a different injury...because we would have never played him if that previous injury wasn't 100% healed. Just because we viewed that game as the SoCon Championship Game and our mantra the entire season has been "Championship or Bust," we would never have rushed him back into action."

So...anyhoo...WCU is beat up and they are going to be without their best Player (for a while, one would imagine...and one would hope UNTIL he is 100% ready to play). Their O sputtered against the #2 Ranked Defense in the SoCon last week. How do we think they are going to do against the #1 Ranked SoCon Defense this week...as banged up as they are? Better than last week or worse? Y'know how the optometrist does with the 2 lenses..."Better or Worse...Better...Worse" - FUBeAR just doesn't see how WCU can be better. WCU has gotten better at stopping the run (not that we could tell last week), but they have, so Mercer will not be able to run the ball as well as FU did or as well as they would like, but they will be able to run it well enough for the Catamounts to have to put 7 in the box ... and that's Mountain Music to the combo of James, Harper, and Peevy.

FINAL SCORE: Mercer 27 - WCU 17
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cavedweller2 liked this
 #78498  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Huge game for both Mercer and WCU.

For Mercer, it's essentially a playoff elimination game. WCU is their last opportunity for a win over a ranked opponent.

For WCU, you stumble here and sort of blow up a lot of what you've worked so hard to accomplish to this point.
FUBeAR liked this
 #78501  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:31 pm
Well every one knows that WCU is a one man team and can’t win without Reid so if he is not playing I rescind my previous stetement and predict a Mercer win. Also WC, VMI, and ETSU become tossups.
 #78502  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
Well every one knows that WCU is a one man team and can’t win without Reid so if he is not playing I rescind my previous stetement and predict a Mercer win. Also WC, VMI, and ETSU become tossups.
If that's all you gleaned from that game prediculation, you get a D- in the FUBeAR / Evelyn Woodhead Reading Comprehension course.
 #78504  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:57 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:42 pm
apaladin wrote:
If that's all you gleaned from that game prediculation, you get a D- in the FUBeAR / Evelyn Woodhead Reading Comprehension course.
Just going by what WCU fans were usng as an excuse for last weeks loss. If Reid plays WCU wins easily at least according to them.
FUBeAR liked this