• UNC-Wilmington @ (11-0) #23 Furman Saturday Dec. 15th

#7837  by Paul C
 Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 pm
I’m going to have that same frustrated feeling I did last year at Wofford game. It was a sellout and they were turning folks away at the door yet there were hundreds of empty seats. Good seats. People who think they’re doing a favor by buying tickets but rarely if ever show up. Oh well. There are worse problems to have.
 #7844  by FUpaladin08
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 am
Paul C wrote:
I’m going to have that same frustrated feeling I did last year at Wofford game. It was a sellout and they were turning folks away at the door yet there were hundreds of empty seats. Good seats. People who think they’re doing a favor by buying tickets but rarely if ever show up. Oh well. There are worse problems to have.
Timmons ought to switch to $5 standing room tickets once it sells out. Plenty of space in that arena around the seats under the baskets.
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #7845  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:54 am
UNCW has us tomorrow, then games at Ga State and at Mercer next Wed and Fri. Then off for Christmas after which they start CAA play. Some of their losses have been Stanford, UNCG, UNCCH, and Davidson. I am sure UNCW has a big target on us. I hope we can play our A game against the Seahawks.
furpep liked this
 #7846  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:57 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Timmons ought to switch to $5 standing room tickets once it sells out. Plenty of space in that arena around the seats under the baskets.
Excellent suggestion! Many seats will be unused. Maybe sell up to 200 SRO. Wonder what the fire code says.
 #7847  by gman
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 am
affirm wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Excellent suggestion! Many seats will be unused. Maybe sell up to 200 SRO. Wonder what the fire code says.
Don’t forget, the arena was originally setup to seat 5,000 for basketball. Sure wish we could open up Timmons to 5,000 screaming fans. Can you imagine how loud it would be?
dornb and 1 others liked this
 #7849  by FU03times
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:33 am
affirm wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Well a whole class (around 800), all faculty (let’s say 150) and 5 guests per students (4000 guests total) fit in there safely for graduation, so I think we can definitely fit more people inside Timmons safely.
 #7851  by furpep
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am
So here is a paradox. My seats will be empty, but we will be there. Since I am physically unable to use the seats I have to sit on my Rollator, and my wife sits with me. But I still need my ticket to get into the game. So the seat will be empty but we will be there, just gotta look around the periphery.
 #7853  by tya1
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:34 am
The Paladins and Seahawks have one common opponent. Furman beat Gardner-Webb in overtime and UNCW lost to Gardner-Webb 81-72 in regulation. Furman had a 13 point lead at the half in our game with the Bulldogs and G-W had a 15 point lead over UNCW in their game. Gardner-Webb hit 50% of their three point shots against UNCW, which demonstrates PaulC's point about UNCW's perimeter defense problems.

UNCW tends to play an eight man rotation. Seven players see over 20 minutes per game and the eighth gets close to 20 mpg. They have a strong low post threat in 6'7" 240 senior Devontae Cacok, who averages 14.7 ppg and 11.6 rebounds and hits about 60% of his shots. Jeantal Cylla, 6'7" 215 junior, is their second leading scorer with 13.8 ppg. Freshman point guard Kai Toews (all the way from Tokyo, Japan) averages over 6 assists per game. Guards Ty Gadsden and Jay Estime are good three point threats, especially Gadsden who is hitting a sizzling 57.5% outside the arc. They have balanced scoring with seven players averaging 8 ppg or more.

They are 4-6 overall with a 28 point loss to UNC and a 21 point loss to UNC-Greensboro. They gave 8-1 Davidson a battle. UNCW had a 7 point lead midway through the second half but fell by 6 at the end. The game was close the whole way. This is their first game in ten days. Sometimes teams are rusty after a long break, sometimes they are fresh and full of energy. Expect the latter.
hypercycloid, FU03times liked this
 #7854  by tim
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:08 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:22 am
affirm wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Don’t forget, the arena was originally setup to seat 5,000 for basketball. Sure wish we could open up Timmons to 5,000 screaming fans. Can you imagine how loud it would be?
Those pull out bleachers on the top level are still there, aren't they? I would hope they could be used and move the curtain. I also remember bottom level bleachers at one time? It seems a shame to turn folks away.
dornb, gman and 1 others liked this
 #7864  by purplehorse
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm
I remember this discussion about turning folks away the last two years with tons of empty seats. Unless Dwight Covington or whoever specifically is aware of this and implements a new policy, nothing will change. I don’t have direct access to Dwight.

To turn a single fan away would be a crying shame.
 #7866  by MNORM
 Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:31 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm
I remember this discussion about turning folks away the last two years with tons of empty seats. Unless Dwight Covington or whoever specifically is aware of this and implements a new policy, nothing will change. I don’t have direct access to Dwight.

To turn a single fan away would be a crying shame.
Everyone has direct access to Dwight...he freely throws his cellphone number around and encourages people to contact him....check your PMs.
furpop16 liked this