• FULL GAME VIDEO

#78418  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:31 am
Post-Contact below - this is ‘bounce off’ phase - can see how far Anderson’s head was knocked to the right from the contact made by the crown of #8’s helmet
 #78420  by Bootie
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 am
Totally my bad, I can see what you’re saying here but I thought you were referring to the play which happened just on the FU sideline and was reviewed for targeting but overturned.
FUBeAR liked this
 #78422  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:53 am
Bootie wrote:
Totally my bad, I can see what you’re saying here but I thought you were referring to the play which happened just on the FU sideline and was reviewed for targeting but overturned.
Yeah - that was on the KOR where we had a hold. Didn’t look too closely at it. WCU sure smacked the Furman. Initially thought it was more an OOB hit than targeting, but pretty sure FUBeAR landed on “Yeah, clean hit, and, yep, holding on FU.”

SoCon Officials are, overall, doing better this year (so far). The Thomas Crown, er, Graham Affair of 2022 seems to have made them realize abject incompetence and/or dishonesty is less than acceptable. Keep it up SoCon Zebras. FUBeAR loves ya!
 #78424  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:01 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:
Yeah - that was on the KOR where we had a hold. Didn’t look too closely at it. WCU sure smacked the Furman. Initially thought it was more an OOB hit than targeting, but pretty sure FUBeAR landed on “Yeah, clean hit, and, yep, holding on FU.”

SoCon Officials are, overall, doing better this year (so far). The Thomas Crown, er, Graham Affair of 2022 seems to have made them realize abject incompetence and/or dishonesty is less than acceptable. Keep it up SoCon Zebras. FUBeAR loves ya!

I think in that particular play, because the runner was running and not definitionally "defenseless," the targeting call would have had to confirm that the defender led with the crown of the helmet.
 #78426  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:28 am
I've watched this play a number of time going over the nuance. I like it more every time. Mentally, I sort of equated this play to the touchdown run by Jerome Felton that buried Georgia Southern back in 2004 - that sort of big moment nail in the coffin play. Give the ball to your dude and let him do dude stuff.

1. WCU has all 11 players within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. Furman is almost inviting that with an in-line TE and two big backs in the backfield. No secret WCU is bent on stopping the run game.

2. I would be interested to know Huff's read on this play. WCU DE/BANDIT really does not do much that would scream "keep." He keeps his shoulders parallel to the line of scrimmage, is not clearly attacking the RB, and does not get sucked down too far on the zone run look. It could be that this was a QB keeper the entire time. It could be that Huff just said "screw it, I can outrun this guy."

I noted on the other thread that Furman had run a zone read type run two plays earlier and the WCU end man had sucked way down and made the tackle. I feel pretty certain that play set up this one.

3. Pretty clearly man coverage by WCU. They aren't concerned with Furman throwing deep here. I'm assuming the free safety in the middle of the field is assigned to Huff.

4. Shiflett up top runs a little inside move and then pushes outside. He's the one initiating the contact, not the DB. By turning the route outside, the DB turns his back to the play.

5. Pline feigns a stalk block, then runs an outbreaking route, which draws the safety with him. I think this is a cool little nuance, fake the run block, then run a route, even though the play is a run.

6. I do not think there is a pass component to the play. Huff is running to directly towards the line and doesn't even seem to be considering a pass.

7. Harder to see because of the scorebug, but look at the work Harris does at the bottom of the screen. He goes hard up field and appears to shove the WCU defender on his backside before breaking out. Furman talks about playing physical, and a Wide Receiver knocking a CB on his rear end 20 yards from the play fits the bill.

It's a 54 yard run and Furman basically doesn't actually "block" 5 WCU defenders (the two CBs, the safety on Pline, the linebacker assigned to Roberto, and the end man on the line of scrimmage). No one even puts a hand on the three guys closest to Huff. They are essentially blocked by the play action and out of position to do anything productive.

8. I have no idea whether Myion Hicks (I think he's in the backfield) knows the play is a QB run or thinks Roberto is behind him, but he blows up the first purple jersey he sees anyway.

9. He doesn't get much press, but watch Johanning climb up and block the safety, the man I think is responsible for spying Huff. The ball is snapped on Furman's 47 yard line and Johanning is still blocking his man at about the WCU 40.

#78431  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:01 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Bootie wrote:

I think in that particular play, because the runner was running and not definitionally "defenseless," the targeting call would have had to confirm that the defender led with the crown of the helmet.
Correct - not “defenseless” - which is only one aspect of the complex targeting rule(s). But, as you seem to acknowledge, leading with the crown of the helmet, regardless of ‘defenseless’ status is also a targeting violation. #8 clearly led with the crown of the helmet (see enlargement below - his head is down - no part of his facemask is visible - he didn’t lift his head in the millisecond between this pic and the time of contact) and, IF it had been called, it would have been confirmed on review, as you suggest it would need to have been…if it were called. It wasn’t called. Nothing was reviewed to confirm or not confirm.

#78465  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:53 pm
I can't recall, but radio guys thought the penalty was assessed and the review was to determine whether to uphold the ejection. These refs didn't assess the penalty, but I don't know if that's still the rule.
 #78473  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:53 pm
I can't recall, but radio guys thought the penalty was assessed and the review was to determine whether to uphold the ejection. These refs didn't assess the penalty, but I don't know if that's still the rule.
That was on the KOR. There was nothing called on this play.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.