• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#78127  by Stumpy
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:41 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:57 am
I get some of the frustration as they told me it's been forty years since Western has sniffed a playoff game.
Maybe if they'd have kept their little tunnel-digging hands off of our goalposts 40 years ago, I'd feel sorry for them.
FU Hoopla, FUBeAR, Flagman and 7 others liked this
 #78138  by gman84
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:32 am
True story...I meet a guy 6 years ago in my office. He notices I'm a Furman grad. He proceeds to tell me he was one of the WCU buttholes that dismantled our goal post in Dec. of 1983. He's still a butthole! :D
AstroDin, apaladin, FUBeAR and 2 others liked this
 #78258  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:31 pm
In the category of little things that go unnoticed, but are actually HUGE

…FUBeAR submits the following…

We all know how important it was for the flow of this game to get that 4th down stop and then take the ball down the field and get a TD on out 1st drive, to give us a lead … forcing them to ‘come to us’ … right?

And … we all saw our FUATT QB powerfully stiff-arm that little kitty-cantamount (out of frame now) into the Whitmire turf … right?

And … we all saw Dom Roberto pile up 479 yards rushing on 63 rushing attempts while dragging 3/4’s of the population of Cullowhee along for the ride and leaving 9/10’s of that 3/4’s lying on the turf in his wake…right?

But how many of us noticed that it was Roberto that somehow worked his way in front of another Cantamount defender (#2) to get him legally blocked, which is really what allowed our FUATT QB to stride out this 10 yards, keep us from going 3 and out on our 1st series, kept us from giving them (probably excellent) field position, and, instead, enabled us to drive the rest of the length of the field for the score.

FUBeAR loves when he sees ‘star’ RB’s doing the dirty work of blocking for others and doing it with gusto. Said it here before, but most people don’t know, Standiford Jenkins, 3 time SoCon PoY, was the best blocker on any of the Furman Teams which he played and LOVED doing it as much as any Player FUBeAR has ever seen.

This block by Roberto is one of those little things that leads to Championships.
AstroDin, Victor Greene, gman84 and 4 others liked this
 #78269  by Jasper
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:16 pm
Damned right it is. It’s the groundout to th e right side of the infield with a man on second. It’s the pass tipped away from a wide open dunker. It’s the RB pushing the rusher just far away for the passer to hit the guy in the endzone. When you play the game you know who does stuff like that and it ain’t easy.
 #78274  by cavedweller2
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:23 pm
He grew up watching Marshawn Lynch. Send that man some Skittles.
 #78496  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:51 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:18 pm
#3 Furman University @ #14 Western Carolina Community College
14 SoCon Championships goes on the road to meet up against 0 SoCon Championships :lol:
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin, Bootie liked this
 #78500  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:30 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:51 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:18 pm
#3 Furman University @ #14 Western Carolina Community College
14 SoCon Championships goes on the road to meet up against 0 SoCon Championships :lol:
BUMP
 #78521  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:24 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:28 am
The radio crew kept noting that the band was probably playing too long and into Furman's cadence on offense.

It looked like a great atmosphere, though. Furman players with that sort of intensity was reminiscent of games in Boone or Statesboro when the fans would just give it to you for 4 hours and then the players would give it right back.
I think they were right to note this. The band or noise was pumped almost every play when we had the ball. What if we had gone quick snap?…. Seriously, they woulda been playing while we hiked it. This needs to be pointed out to SoCon. I feel strongly about this. If we had tried to hike a quick snap to get a yard with a qb push =(or whatever very quick hike the band woulda still been playing

That. Is. Illegal. And could decide an outcome. We should be allowed to quick snap. It didn’t really come up because we are methodical. But it could have. I think Furman should contact the SoCon office. You can’t do that. WCU has a great band but you can’t cheat - that would a huge detriment to a no huddle offense !
I still feel VERY passionate about this. If It had cost us the game on a false start on a quick snap - and IT VERY WELL COULD HAVE - people would be having a fit !!!!!!!!! But luckily it didn't so no one is saying much. Some teams - and ours, on rare occasion - want to hurry a quick snap while the D is not ready - which is legal and is taking advantage of the D not being coached and set. many a tush push or quick run has worked because the O ran up to the line very fast before the DL could get set.

The SoCon should be contacted. This was cheating - preventing us from running quick plays due to noise.
 #78525  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:44 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:13 pm
Roswell @ Lowndes County (Valdosta - WAY SOUTH Georgia…almost down to Kerwin Bell’s hometown in FL (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) in a Playoff Game…about 2008…

Lowndes band has about 300 members and they are LOUD. The Stadium, which holds 12,000 is overflowing…
….
Lowndes Georgia Bridgemen Band is PLAYING, um, to beat the band, throughout the Roswell huddle, formation, and snap…They stop after the ball is snapped…and start BOOMING again as soon as the ball is spotted. We finally mention to the Ref’s (who know the rules and could not help but hear the clamor) that we have a problem…..

So…they make a big show of stopping the game…go over to Lowndes Coaches and have a very animated discussion with them - much like the numerous discussions the SoCon Refs had with Kerwin Bell last Sat. - and then the Head Coach makes a big show of walking up into the stands to the press box (they had headsets, of course)….and all the fans are watching him and cheering or jeering and he goes into the PA Booth…has an animated discussion with the PA guy and then slowly returns to the field. Once he gets to the sideline (the game is stopped for all this time!), the PA Announcer comes on…

“Vikings Fans & Band Members. I’m VERY disappointed to announce that the Roswell Coaches and Players have complained to the game officials about your fine Playing. I’ve been informed that they can penalize our Vikings if y’all don’t stop playing. So, Vikings Fans, y’all will just have to make enough noise to let Roswell know how we feel about them keeping our great band from playing.”

So…the Fans become 5x as loud…this cycle repeats a couple of times during the game with no penalties ever being called.

Tellin’ y’all they do things different down that S Ga, N Fl way.