• ETSU at Furman Negative Nancy Game Thread

#78257  by FUTex
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:06 pm
I'm all for dock plinking. Some of the greatest minds of the 20th century plinked it from docks.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I prefer the black helmets and purple jerseys.

I really like reading this thread and coming across posts complaining about it, where people seem to completely miss the point. Let me elucidate: First off, there is no objectively identifiable point. That's to say on the surface its seemingly pointless... on the surface. Second, the Negative Nancy thread is primarily responsible for turning around a 5-1 season into a glorious 6-1 season. For example, without the Negative Nancy thread FuBear would've never recruited the all-female IDF on our side and Bootie with his snake rattler would've never embedded himself within that crack team of counter-insurgency so we could win the game (the ESPN+ feed being cut an unfortunate case of collateral damage... sorry). Third, we're far better off coordinating our mojo than sitting back and allowing the opponent's hexes, voodoo, and witchcraft to run roughshod all over our beloved Paladins.
FUBeAR, bj93, Bootie and 2 others liked this
 #78264  by FurmanATT
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:04 pm
I know a famous coach who doesn't believe in luck or superstition.
I believe in luck, but not over the long run.
I don't believe in superstition, but you'd never believe it.
I think it's just a game. It's like gambling. Or purple pregame shots. Everyone wants to feel a part of the success. This is a way. Being there is a way. Cheering is a way. Loving the alma mater is a way.
A superstition of mine is to dress neutrally when covering games. It's practical. Many years ago I learned that opposition coaches talked more freely if the questioner wasn't decked out in the other team's colors.
Earlier this year, I was honored at halftime as a member of a state championship team. I wore a Clinton High shirt but wore a hoodie over it. At halftime, I took it off.
Chapman won, 22-21. My bad. -- MD
FUBeAR liked this
 #78265  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:31 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:04 pm
I know a famous coach who doesn't believe in luck or superstition.
I believe in luck, but not over the long run.
I don't believe in superstition, but you'd never believe it.
I think it's just a game. It's like gambling. Or purple pregame shots. Everyone wants to feel a part of the success. This is a way. Being there is a way. Cheering is a way. Loving the alma mater is a way.
A superstition of mine is to dress neutrally when covering games. It's practical. Many years ago I learned that opposition coaches talked more freely if the questioner wasn't decked out in the other team's colors.
Earlier this year, I was honored at halftime as a member of a state championship team. I wore a Clinton High shirt but wore a hoodie over it. At halftime, I took it off.
Chapman won, 22-21. My bad. -- MD
I am not superstitious. But i am a little'stitious.
 #78271  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:35 pm
Just gonna post this here. Y’all do with it what you will…if anything
 #78275  by cavedweller2
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:27 pm
I would think a College President would have exhausted her eligibility what with a PH D and all. I don’t think suiting up is a violation but if she plays they would have to vacate.
 #78289  by FUTex
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:33 pm
I don't think the Paladins should suit up Elizabeth Davis. I was at Duke the same time she was, and I heard tell her dead lift was pathetic. I dunno, maybe she's improved since then.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #78406  by FUTex
 Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:39 pm
Three days to game day. We need to start gearing up.

Bootie, do you have the rattler?
 #78421  by Bootie
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:23 am
FUTex wrote:

Ummm… actually, no.

There is more to the story from last Saturday than I can divulge at the moment. I’m waiting on the events of this weekend in Cullowhee to unfold before I am cleared to explain further. All I can say is Mercer might not be a bad bet.

Fortunately Paladin Stadium is not affected by any negative mojo brought by an opposing team. We have our own mountain. The Dungeon is a punishing place with many tools of torture and destruction.

Plus our connection to the internets is guarded by a 3-headed dog in the attic of PAC.
 #78423  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:06 am
Bootie wrote:
FUTex wrote:

Ummm… actually, no.

There is more to the story from last Saturday than I can divulge at the moment. I’m waiting on the events of this weekend in Cullowhee to unfold before I am cleared to explain further. All I can say is Mercer might not be a bad bet.

Fortunately Paladin Stadium is not affected by any negative mojo brought by an opposing team. We have our own mountain. The Dungeon is a punishing place with many tools of torture and destruction.

Plus our connection to the internets is guarded by a 3-headed dog in the attic of PAC.
FUBeAR appreciates whatever residual assistance the Bears might receive from TeamBootie’s work.

Also - do that PAC Pup have a serpent tail and am snakes coming out his body in places? Cuz a good friend of FUBeAR’s be missing he pet guard dog…and the 3 heads matches the “Have you seen this dog?” posters he hunged up for his buddy.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #78425  by Fred Garvin
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:16 am
FUTex wrote:
I don't think the Paladins should suit up Elizabeth Davis. I was at Duke the same time she was, and I heard tell her dead lift was pathetic. I dunno, maybe she's improved since then.
Since we are honoring the 4 in a row teams Saturday I would vote for E.D. to participate in the following:
1. An early 80's Tuesday practice that must include offensive pre practice and defensive post practice rabbits.
2. Thursday post practice improvement session
FUBeAR liked this
 #78439  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:30 am
Fred Garvin wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:16 am
FUTex wrote:
Since we are honoring the 4 in a row teams Saturday I would vote for E.D. to participate in the following:
1. An early 80's Tuesday practice that must include offensive pre practice and defensive post practice rabbits.
2. Thursday post practice improvement session
She’ll be late for pre-pre-practice tho. Without 3 hours and 45 minutes on the field every Tuesday and Wednesday, you don’t win 4 consecutive Championships. 3 hours and 30 minutes is just not enough time on those critical days.

The Presidential appearance at TNC would be impressive. Don’t recall ever inviting Dr. Johns. Knowing your class, Fred, y’all were probably holding these improvement sessions with him hosting at White Oaks instead of at Woodwinds.
 #78495  by FUTex
 Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:46 pm
Bootie wrote:
FUTex wrote:

Ummm… actually, no.

Okay, good deal. While at Home in the Dungeon we have built enough positive and powerful mojo we don't require any extry just yet. Understood.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.