• Congrats Evan DiMaggio POW

#78208  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 am
CCH mentioned that Saturday against the Cats was Evan's first career start.
He responded with ten tackles and two sacks, earning SoCon Defensive POW.
https://furmanpaladins.com/news/2023/10 ... -week.aspx

By the way, Huff got snubbed. I love this line in the above post: "Overlooked for SoCon Offensive Player of the Week recognition was Paladin quarterback Tyler Huff, who completed 13-of-22 passes for 174 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing six times for 89 yards and a score in one of the highest profile games played in the FCS on Saturday."

Who got the Offensive POW? Jay Stanton, Samford. Stanton rushed 21 times for 146 yards and two touchdowns against VMI. It doesn't make any sense that Huff didn't earn POY for his performance. Unless he was overlooked due to winning POY last week—and if that's the reason, shame on the SoCon League Office.
Bootie, Purple rain, gman84 and 3 others liked this
 #78209  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:22 am
I love watching Dimaggio play.

He's an old school type middle linebacker - covers sideline to sideline. Hit hard, rushes the passer, good in coverage. I also love that he can make the play of the game and he just stands up and runs back to the huddle.
AstroDin, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #78211  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:26 am
I guess the league office spreads the POTW awards around.

Furman has the league's best defense, but Dimaggio is the first DPOTW award for the Paladins.
 #78216  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:02 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:35 am
By the way, Huff got snubbed. I love this line in the above post: "Overlooked for SoCon Offensive Player of the Week recognition was Paladin quarterback Tyler Huff, who completed 13-of-22 passes for 174 yards and two touchdowns, while also rushing six times for 89 yards and a score in one of the highest profile games played in the FCS on Saturday."

Who got the Offensive POW? Jay Stanton, Samford. Stanton rushed 21 times for 146 yards and two touchdowns against VMI. It doesn't make any sense that Huff didn't earn POY for his performance. Unless he was overlooked due to winning POY last week—and if that's the reason, shame on the SoCon League Office.
If it’s some small solace, Huff did finish just behind Dan Scott in FUBeAR’s SoCon PoW voting.
gman84, The Jackal, Purple rain and 5 others liked this
 #78230  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:27 pm
Was surprised Dimaggio wasn’t the starter coming into the season. I think CCH said he got the start at ILB for the first time but has some starts at OLB.
dornb liked this
 #78241  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Was surprised Dimaggio wasn’t the starter coming into the season. I think CCH said he got the start at ILB for the first time but has some starts at OLB.
Dimaggio has spent some time at BANDIT given his pass rush and coverage chops.

I guess he and McCormick would still have eligibility after this year, so if they both stay we could be strong at that position again.
dornb liked this
 #78259  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:06 pm
apaladin wrote:
Dimaggio has spent some time at BANDIT given his pass rush and coverage chops.

I guess he and McCormick would still have eligibility after this year, so if they both stay we could be strong at that position again.
FYI… Ryan Earl and Raleigh Herbert both dressed for the Western game.
I think that was the first game I've seen them dressed.