• Furman @ WCCC Oct. 21st

#78042  by Kennypowers
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:45 pm
Nothing better as a player than a raucous crowd and putting it in their faces. Nastier the better. Down by the bench…whatever. Best example was 1980s Marshall road games. Some pretty funny smack talkers in those huge crowds.
Bootie, FUBeAR, bj93 liked this
 #78048  by gman84
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 4:06 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:31 am
There’s one HumanRectum on the WCU board who perpetually pipes up about this Furman faking injuries BS. S/He is constantly maligning Coach Hendrix about ethics, fair play, integrity, cheating, etc. It’s really insane. Almost like how Jackal works a subtle smear about Mercer into nearly every one of his posts…except recently.

FUBeAR has to wonder if that Cantamount dude is mixing up Furman with ETSU, a Team that has perfected their fake injury game over the span of 3 Head Coaches…but the same DC. While FUBeAR has seen a rare FU DLman on very rare occasions seem to need a blow more than he’s been ‘injured,’ this is just NOT, in any way, a trait, characteristic, or common practice of Furman Football.

Anyway - that lilac-colored dude, like the mainstream media, has been effective in convincing the low info (WCU peeps) masses that fake injuries is a Furman Football thing. So, it’s not surprising their (low info) fans were being a-holes during the few injury stoppages necessary for FU Players yesterday. Because of their buy-in to this ExitPort’s relentless and repeated spewing of misinformation, a Furman Player could have been holding his bloody severed leg across his chest and the WCU’s would’ve booed.
Speaking of ETSU…I tuned into their game with Chat for a few minutes. Chat was up 21-0 and driving. I have never seen a more undisciplined team than the ETSU defense. Consecutive flagrant personal fouls that should have involved an ejection. I like physical punishing play but that ETSU defense was ridiculous. Lost their composure and acted like total punks. I know GQ is the head coach and I’m sure he doesn’t condone this kind of play. I bring this up because it wouldn’t surprise me to see this again since ETSU has been very disappointing lately. I hope I’m wrong.
 #78058  by HB88
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:43 pm
Just watched the replay on YouTube. Was anyone else struck by how many times the announcers highlighted the fact that a FU player was a graduate student.
 #78061  by purplehorse123
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:30 pm
Several folks have mentioned “watching” the game and implicitly it seems like they were talking about it real-time and NOT in person.

Was there any way for anybody to watch the game real-time other than by way of ESPN plus?
 #78067  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:28 am
The radio crew kept noting that the band was probably playing too long and into Furman's cadence on offense.

It looked like a great atmosphere, though. Furman players with that sort of intensity was reminiscent of games in Boone or Statesboro when the fans would just give it to you for 4 hours and then the players would give it right back.
I think they were right to note this. The band or noise was pumped almost every play when we had the ball. What if we had gone quick snap?…. Seriously, they woulda been playing while we hiked it. This needs to be pointed out to SoCon. I feel strongly about this. If we had tried to hike a quick snap to get a yard with a qb push =(or whatever very quick hike the band woulda still been playing

That. Is. Illegal. And could decide an outcome. We should be allowed to quick snap. It didn’t really come up because we are methodical. But it could have. I think Furman should contact the SoCon office. You can’t do that. WCU has a great band but you can’t cheat - that would a huge detriment to a no huddle offense !
QCGlue liked this
 #78068  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:34 pm
Something else worth nothing, I think.

Furman has 4 remaining regular season games, 3 of which they will be heavily favored (ETSU, Wofford, VMI)

Assuming WCU runs the table, the Furman/UTC game could set up a three way tiebreaker if Furman were to lose. The teams would be 1-1 against each other and had beaten everyone else.

Holding WCU to 17 points was huge, because remember the tie breaker eventually becomes points surrendered among the tied teams. WCU and UTC put up 50+ on each other. So, Furman should be in a good spot there assuming UTC doesn't open up a +33 point margin or something.
Great pick up.
 #78070  by Jasper
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:30 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:28 am
The radio crew kept noting that the band was probably playing too long and into Furman's cadence on offense.

It looked like a great atmosphere, though. Furman players with that sort of intensity was reminiscent of games in Boone or Statesboro when the fans would just give it to you for 4 hours and then the players would give it right back.
I think they were right to note this. The band or noise was pumped almost every play when we had the ball. What if we had gone quick snap?…. Seriously, they woulda been playing while we hiked it. This needs to be pointed out to SoCon. I feel strongly about this. If we had tried to hike a quick snap to get a yard with a qb push =(or whatever very quick hike the band woulda still been playing

That. Is. Illegal. And could decide an outcome. We should be allowed to quick snap. It didn’t really come up because we are methodical. But it could have. I think Furman should contact the SoCon office. You can’t do that. WCU has a great band but you can’t cheat - that would a huge detriment to a no huddle offense !
Absolutely correct. The league needs to take notice because those clowns are not going to stop on their own. The bottom line is that the Western band, fans , “students” et al were a pack of classless a—holes all day. They got beat when they expected to be coronated and acted like snot nose brats. The band got a ration of shit laid on them by the DINS players at the end of the game and they are lucky that’s all the got. The Catamount team played hard and were friendly and gracious in defeat. They are a very good team with some fabulous kids in the skill positions and will be contenders for a good while. The band is a bunch of fat-asses who can play a flute or bang a drum. Who cares?
Purple rain, QCGlue liked this
 #78080  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:00 am
Levy has been the punter all year and has done a great job but after he had the one yard shank he was replaceced by Williams who proceeded to have a 13 yd. shank. Anyone know why Levy was replaced?
 #78089  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Levy has been the punter all year and has done a great job but after he had the one yard shank he was replaceced by Williams who proceeded to have a 13 yd. shank. Anyone know why Levy was replaced?
Thought about that - could be he wasn't 100%
 #78092  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:55 am
Going back and watching the game something that is really noticeable was Huff's accuracy on the play action boot stuff. Huff has, at times, struggled with his accuracy when throwing on the run this season. He didn't Saturday.

WCU's defense is certainly improved and more physical than they have been, but Furman had them guessing a lot of the afternoon. We were throwing out of run looks, running out of passing looks, zigging when they thought we'd be zagging.

Maybe the prettiest play of the day was the touchdown throw to Hinton for our second score. WCU has no idea where the ball is going and ends up in what appears to be man coverage with a safety against Hinton. That's going to be advantage Furman 10 times out of 10.
 #78093  by Purple rain
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:07 am
It is amazing how you would let this unfold at PC. We got one fine ball coach in Coach Spangler and one fine QB in Tyler Huff. He is absolutely in the fraternity of great QBS that played at Furman. As Dabo Swinney says " he is a baller!"
The entire DINS balled this past Saturday.
dornb, Jasper liked this
 #78096  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Going back and watching the game something that is really noticeable was Huff's accuracy on the play action boot stuff. Huff has, at times, struggled with his accuracy when throwing on the run this season. He didn't Saturday.

WCU's defense is certainly improved and more physical than they have been, but Furman had them guessing a lot of the afternoon. We were throwing out of run looks, running out of passing looks, zigging when they thought we'd be zagging.

Maybe the prettiest play of the day was the touchdown throw to Hinton for our second score. WCU has no idea where the ball is going and ends up in what appears to be man coverage with a safety against Hinton. That's going to be advantage Furman 10 times out of 10.
I feel like this almost deserves q separate thread.… any guesses which receiver was thrown to the most in the Western game?

That would be Colton Hinton. By my count, 6 passes. He shoulda coulda had two touchdowns. Colton also started.

I'm thinking about a few things.

I think Furman sandbagged a bit on how they were playing Hinton. He was getting some PT at receiver and had caught a couple of passes, but we mainly saw him running a reverse or a jet sweep until Saturday.

Western's athletic DBs had a hard time matching up with Colton. No doubt he will attract more attention from opposing defenses. That is exactly what Coach Roper wants. I think the arrival of Hinton as a receiving weapon will open up things for Harris, Dean, and Shiflett. Not to mention Ben Ferguson.
I also think Furman sandbagged a bit on how they would and will deploy Pline. A 6-7 tight end that can run that well and appears to have very good hands — lookout.

Last thought. Remember what appeared to be a timeout Furman took when they couldn't get a play in? The following play was a flea-flicker to Pline for a big gain. I think this was planned.

I will add Coach Roper is as calm as ice on the sidelines, he's got some ice in his veins.
Paladin82, dornb liked this
 #78098  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Thought about that - could be he wasn't 100%
He was sick before the game.
 #78099  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:59 am
Also, some credit were due.

A lot of ink has been spilled on Furman’s lapses in pass defense. However, the last two weeks Furman has played two of the nations best offenses and other than the opening drive against Samford, gave up very little downfield in the passing game.

Western was forced to dink and dunk the ball. The times they threw downfield were usually well covered and twice ended in picks.

Pass rush has a lot to do with that. Gonzalez looked like a QB that wasn’t used to getting banged around back there and was rushing a lot of his throws and not able to take as much time to check down his receivers. He wasn’t used to the sort of pressure Furman was putting in his face.
apaladin liked this
 #78100  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:01 am
The Jackal wrote:

That was such a well designed play. It allowed 82 to leverage his speed crossing the entire field.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.