• FCS/SoCon Week 8

#77935  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:55 pm
UNI up 27-0 on UND.

So, a handful of teams behind WCU in the standings all lost, several to unranked opponents. Might be the Catamounts stay hovering not too far outside the top 10 next weeks.
 #77937  by purplehorse123
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:40 pm
CAA seems to have added lots of bad teams since I looked in the last. At one time they were a pretty dominant conference but it looks like that has changed.
 #77941  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:20 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:40 pm
CAA seems to have added lots of bad teams since I looked in the last. At one time they were a pretty dominant conference but it looks like that has changed.

The best CAA team appears to be Delaware.

Beyond that, it's a bunch of meh.

W&M was highly ranked, but they struggled with Wofford and Charleston Southern and has now lost three in a row.

Richmond is 5-3, but has a few ugly losses, including a loss to the worst team in the MEAC.

Elon is their #3 team, but is only 4-4.

I suspect just math will mean at least a few of those teams will have 7 wins by post season selection time. I suspect Furman, WCU, UTC, Mercer, or Samford would probably blow most of their teams off the field much like Furman did to Elon last season.
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #77944  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:34 pm
With as bad as the Southland has been and as bad as the CAA has been, maybe there could be 3 or 4 SoCon teams in the post season.
dornb, gman84 liked this
 #77946  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:37 pm
#5 Incarnate Word is down 24-7 at half. Their starting QB, Zach Calzada is out. According to the FCS Triumvirate guys (all 3 have some connection to UIW), Stubblefield (ECU transfer) is their 3rd string guy.

Former Paladin Jace Wilson and Texas Southern currently lead #19 FAMU at halftime.

Looking forward to watching #2 vs #3 tonight with Montana St traveling to Sac State. If Sac State wins, I'm not sure we'd move up in the Stats poll as long as it's not a blowout, but if MSU wins, we should be #3 in each poll.

Western should find a soft place to land. They were #8 in the Stats poll and numbers 11, 12, 13, 15, and 18 all lost. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in the high teens and Chattanooga in the lower teens.
dornb liked this
 #77950  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
With as bad as the Southland has been and as bad as the CAA has been, maybe there could be 3 or 4 SoCon teams in the post season.
Assuming things play out like they should the rest of the way, I'd be shocked if the SoCon didn't get 3. 4 might be tough. If Mercer beats Western next week, then 4 is definitely possible. If they lose, a 7-4 Mercer team getting in will depend a lot on how the bubble looks on Selection Sunday as they wouldn't have any real marquee wins (depending on how a people view a win over Samford at the end of the year.

Kind of depends on what you want to see as a SoCon fan. Western may still have a shot at a seed if they don't fall too far this week and win out. Would it be better for Mercer to win and the SoCon likely get 4 teams in, or would it be better for them to maybe get 2 seeds? A lot can and likely will change before that, but it is an interesting thought.
 #77965  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:17 am
No shame in us being #3 behind South Dakota St. and Montana St., both those programs have been to the semifinals or better in each of their last 3 season played.................
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #77988  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:09 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Assuming things play out like they should the rest of the way, I'd be shocked if the SoCon didn't get 3. 4 might be tough. If Mercer beats Western next week, then 4 is definitely possible. If they lose, a 7-4 Mercer team getting in will depend a lot on how the bubble looks on Selection Sunday as they wouldn't have any real marquee wins (depending on how a people view a win over Samford at the end of the year.

Kind of depends on what you want to see as a SoCon fan. Western may still have a shot at a seed if they don't fall too far this week and win out. Would it be better for Mercer to win and the SoCon likely get 4 teams in, or would it be better for them to maybe get 2 seeds? A lot can and likely will change before that, but it is an interesting thought.
A 7-4 Mercer Team will NEVER get in the Playoffs
Davemeister liked this