• In game thread

#77921  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:46 pm
3 sacks today tied WCU's total for the year.

I suppose that makes 12 QB sacks in the last two weeks against two of the nation's best offenses. That'll do.
dornb liked this
 #77923  by Roundball
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:56 pm
At the beach, so we listened to the game. Like old times. Exciting broadcast. Well done Dan and the entire team. Great road win for the Paladins against a quality opponent.
The Jackal, bj93, dornb liked this
 #77924  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:03 pm
Dan Scott was Player of the Week for FUBeAR this week!!!!
bj93, dornb, furpop16 and 4 others liked this
 #77925  by saltyshaker
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:07 pm
earlier thread stated we elected to take an xp off the board to go for two when wcu was offside..not true.our kicker had boinked the kick off the upright so we did not have the point.so we got the chance to go for two from the 1.5 yard line OR rekick for one.we elected to go for 2.
i agree with that call.
 #77927  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:23 pm
Proud of a gritty win.

In case anyone was keeping track:

Tennessee Tech's biggest game of the year: Furman
Kennesaw State's biggest game of the year: Furman
Mercer's biggest game of the year: Furman
The Citadel's biggest game of the year: Furman
Samford's biggest game of the year: Furman
Western Carolina's biggest game of the year: Furman

We're getting everyone's best shot and just keep playing winning football.
gman84, FUwolfpacker, dornb and 3 others liked this
 #77932  by El Guapo
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:23 pm
Proud of a gritty win.

In case anyone was keeping track:

Tennessee Tech's biggest game of the year: Furman
Kennesaw State's biggest game of the year: Furman
Mercer's biggest game of the year: Furman
The Citadel's biggest game of the year: Furman
Samford's biggest game of the year: Furman
Western Carolina's biggest game of the year: Furman

We're getting everyone's best shot and just keep playing winning football.
Right on Jackal. Completely agree. Speaking of which ETSU and Coach Quarrels are DESPERATE for a win and would love to spoil our homecoming parade. Pour it on ‘em early and don’t let ‘em breath!
dornb, bj93 liked this
 #77936  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 pm
Can’t say enough about the defense and even though the offense left a few points on the field it moved the ball all day. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe the offense had a single 3 and out all day. Very impressive. Barring a monumental upset, should have at least a share of the title but let’s finish this. We want the stand alone title.
dornb, FUwolfpacker, Bootie and 2 others liked this
 #77939  by FurmanFan23
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:50 pm
What I typically do beucase Dan does such a great job is put his radio show on in the background and mute the TV showing the game
dornb liked this
 #77951  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 pm
No one has mentioned playcalling. Masterful. FU has just been doing enough to win all season without opening up too much of the playbook. Today we flung it wide open. We’ve got a great one in Roper. We need to enjoy this while it lasts.
apaladin, FUBeAR, dornb and 4 others liked this
 #77974  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:28 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:45 pm
No one has mentioned playcalling. Masterful. FU has just been doing enough to win all season without opening up too much of the playbook. Today we flung it wide open. We’ve got a great one in Roper. We need to enjoy this while it lasts.
If you watch the last drive, it's great play calling by Roper, IMO.

The last drive, WCU was committing 9 men into the box to stop Furman's run game. The Catamounts were pretty obviously in man coverage with every available defender keyed on Roberto.

Two plays before Huff's run, Furman runs a zone read type play leaving WCU's BANDIT unblocked. The BANDIT keeps his shoulders square up field, but ends up making the tackle somewhere in the middle of the field. Typically, the job of that outside player, be it a linebacker or defensive end, is to keep offensive players from getting around him. In my uneducated opinion, he was getting sucked too far into the play and lost his containment responsibilities.

Even if WCU was switching those responsibilities with a safety, as they may have been, both players outside were biting hard on Roberto. I suspect Roper saw that.

Two plays later on the 3rd down Furman runs another zone read. They again leave the BANDIT unblocked. He again gets sucked down into the play looking to make a tackle, only this time Huff keeps the ball. Both Pline and Shiflett were lined up to the play side, and knowing they would be in man coverage, ran out breaking routes, which forced their defenders to turn away from the play.

The BANDIT, just as he did two plays earlier, gets sucked too far into the play action. By the time he realizes that, he's too committed to recover and tackle the much faster Huff. Huff just had to beat him to the edge.

I would guess Roper knew they'd be in man coverage. He knew the BANDIT was overcommitting to the run and losing his containment responsibilities. He knew that the safeties responsible for the running backs would also be running to the play action. Huff had to beat one man and there'd be no one left to tackle him.
Bootie, Jasper, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #77982  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:42 am
Some WCU fans blaming the loss of being down a healthy starting RB and one offensive lineman.

A healthy Reid may have made a big difference. Injuries are part of football, and I thought the #2 guy was pretty good for them. Furman is not an easy defense to run against, so who knows how much of a difference it would have made in the grand scheme of things.

Furman, of course, was also down a starting offensive lineman as well as our #2, #3, and #4 running backs. We have a wide receiver filling in as Roberto's backup and still ran for 341 yards. So, it's not like WCU got the fully healthy Furman offense either.
Bootie, FUwolfpacker, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #78011  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 pm
Can’t say enough about the defense and even though the offense left a few points on the field it moved the ball all day. Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t believe the offense had a single 3 and out all day. Very impressive. Barring a monumental upset, should have at least a share of the title but let’s finish this. We want the stand alone title.

We aren't sharing anything. We want it all!
FUBeAR, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.