• Charleston Southern @ (10-0) #23 Furman Tuesday Dec. 11th

#7752  by Paul C
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Great crowd including 620 students, a record for student attendance.

Dwight told me Sat is getting close to a sellout too.

Their frantic, pressing and handsy style was great experience for us, thought we handled it ok but could’ve been better. Especially on a night the zebras didn’t feel like blowing their whistles...

Alex Hunter is becoming our MVP....and on a night when Lyons was just out of it, he stepped up along with Gurley and Brown. Hope Browns ankle is ok.

And Tre Clark....2/2 from 3 and a couple great plays especially when he west coast to coast for the layup vs the press.
gman, FU03times, FUKA61 and 4 others liked this
 #7758  by hypercycloid
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Paul C wrote:

Their frantic, pressing and handsy style was great experience for us, thought we handled it ok but could’ve been better. Especially on a night the zebras didn’t feel like blowing their whistles...

Alex Hunter is becoming our MVP....and on a night when Lyons was just out of it, he stepped up along with Gurley and Brown. Hope Browns ankle is ok.

And Tre Clark....2/2 from 3 and a couple great plays especially when he west coast to coast for the layup vs the press.
Hunter saved us from their press more than once tonight too. He, Brown, and Gurley were the difference makers. Slawson had another great block.

I’ve loved the crowds the last two home games. Saturday looks to be another good one if there are some students around.
dornb, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #7759  by MNORM
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 pm
Paul C wrote:

The energy from the students was fantastic. We talk a lot on here about how kids don't come to Furman having grown up Furman fans. You have to turn them into fans...tonight felt like a turning point. This kind of atmosphere can trickle over into other sports, notably football.
Can't wait for Saturday...just win baby!
Last edited by MNORM on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furpop16, dornb, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #7762  by apaladin
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:48 pm
We played very good offensively the first 10 minutes scoring 28 points. The final 10 minutes of the half we scored 9 but luckily CSU kinda cooled off too. We really need to shoot free throws better(60% tonight) and work on getting the ball inbounds against pressure. We are definitely getting everyone's best shot Great crowd, really looking forward to Saturday. Hope we have a big crowd and students can get away from exams for a couple of hours. Looks like plenty of tickets are available.
dornb, furman88, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #7763  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm
Two things.

1. I think we are lucky to have Bob Richey as a coach. He's imminently likeable (at least publicly) and certainly seems to love his job. I'd like him even if we weren't 11-0.

2. Are there other arenas where the students can stand on the court front row? That seems like it could be problematic one day where the closest people to the action are students (and mostly our football team)
furpop16, dornb, underjack and 3 others liked this
 #7764  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:00 pm
Two things.

1. I think we are lucky to have Bob Richey as a coach. He's imminently likeable (at least publicly) and certainly seems to love his job. I'd like him even if we weren't 11-0.

2. Are there other arenas where the students can stand on the court front row? That seems like it could be problematic one day where the closest people to the action are students (and mostly our football team)

They have always been there, no problems, and best way for them to make impact on the game
 #7770  by Fessor
 Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:23 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
They have always been there, no problems, and best way for them to make impact on the game
The football players were baiting and challenging players from ETSU a few seasons back and, if not for the restraint of the ETSU players, there would have been a fight.
 #7771  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:42 am
Fessor wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:23 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
The football players were baiting and challenging players from ETSU a few seasons back and, if not for the restraint of the ETSU players, there would have been a fight.
I'm not suggesting there is a problem. I am just suggesting that I can get a big picture of some instances where having your football team on the floor with the opposing basketball team could be problematic.

I don't follow a bunch of college basketball. I was just wondering if there were other D1 schools that had their student section on the floor without a barrier between them and the game. Maybe that's common.
 #7774  by CharlieFU
 Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:27 am
Have had similar thoughts about students on first row. They have had to be warned a number of times. But then again, what you gonna do?

Richey is likewise likeable one on one. And I have watched a number of team practices. Impressive. Extremely well read.
underjack liked this
 #7775  by gman
 Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:43 am
I am more concerned about the kids walking the sideline during play than a few students being rowdy. Have you ever watched and heard Duke students? I want students involved in the game. I sit on the front row and have never seen them out of line. I hope they keep it up. It’s weird that some complain about lack of student support and then complain because of too much support.
Last edited by gman on Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fufanatic and 1 others liked this