#76922  by dornb
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:58 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:05 am
After watching the post-game presser and hearing what the locker room was like after this game... I'm hoping this game will be viewed as the turning point in our season. I know I agreed above to flush this one. :D
I watched the post-game presser twice. Tyler didn't even get to the presser until about the 7-minute mark. Both he and Hugh Ryan were obviously upset with the team's performance. Tyler was really down on himself. Clay tried to make them feel better, but it didn't seem to help. I really hope they all hated the feeling and will work really hard this week in practice and will come out with fire the rest of the season. Go Paladins!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #76924  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:19 pm
Vertical passing may not be our strength. He threw one that was caught but a yard too deep in the end zone. Another was wide open and missed. I don’t think Justin Roper forgot about deep middle of field post patterns and fly patterns. I may be wrong, but I do believe our coaches call plays that best utilize the talents we have and also what the particular defensive look that we are getting gives us. Citadel had two deep safeties the vast majority of the time. We took what they gave us and missed a few deep ones that were there.
 #76925  by Afurmanfan
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:24 pm
I remember asking Coach Johnson why we weren’t throwing more to Trent Sansbury a season after he had a great season. He looked at me and said “ oh, we forgot about him”. Then laughed (he was my position coach and friend) and said that the defenses this year were covering him more often with safeties than LBs and he hasn’t been open like he had been the year before. The opponents wised up because he could run. It is always a lot more complicated than we generally understand.
 #76926  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:26 pm
I've always thought struggling to beat a bad team is a healthy thing for a team like ours. It's keeps them focused, and makes the point that we can't get too complacent or "satisfied"....
gman84, AstroDin, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #76929  by tya1
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:46 pm
I am glad the program is in a position where we can beat our long time rival by two touchdowns and never really be threatened and people get upset about it being too close.

That said, when we went up 28-0 I was hoping to make it 42-0 or more. Greedy.
MidlandsPaladin, dornb liked this
 #76930  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:48 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:24 pm
I remember asking Coach Johnson why we weren’t throwing more to Trent Sansbury a season after he had a great season. He looked at me and said “ oh, we forgot about him”. Then laughed (he was my position coach and friend) and said that the defenses this year were covering him more often with safeties than LBs and he hasn’t been open like he had been the year before. The opponents wised up because he could run. It is always a lot more complicated than we generally understand.
Coach BoJo with his rapier wit.

Hard to know if you didn’t/don’t know him, but he could turn anyone into a pile of julienned fries if he desired to…hilariously. FUBeAR experienced this firsthand, often becoming such a pile, during his GA days running (to less than Coach Johnson’s satisfaction) the Scout Team Offense.

Certainly the smartest Clemson grad FUBeAR has ever met.
Mr. Taggart liked this
 #76974  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:41 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:26 pm
I've always thought struggling to beat a bad team is a healthy thing for a team like ours. It's keeps them focused, and makes the point that we can't get too complacent or "satisfied"....
Paul, agree. Kinda my point with the Coach K quote. You don't "forget" this stuff.. you get PISSED and focused! Sounds like Huff and Ryan were pretty pissed at the performance as they talked about it before the presser - IE, they expect better. Good players should always want more. Great players want to CRUSH opponents