• SoCon/FCS Week 6

#76811  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:32 am
#6 Southern Illinois was absolutely clobbered by unranked Youngstown State.

Virginia hands William & Mary another loss. Not surprising to lose to a P5 school, but with the Tribe's weak conference schedule it's good to see them pegged with a second loss.

Elon lost to Top 15 NC Central. That's sort of a double win for Furman as NC Central likely will play in the Celebration Bowl as MEAC champ and not the FCS playoffs and Elon/CAA takes a third loss. May benefit the SoCon come bubble time.

1-4 Northern Arizona beat top 15 Weber State. Again, a good win for the SoCon to saddle Weber with another loss.

And good for the SoCon that none of the favorites lost.
dornb liked this
 #76814  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:11 am
Watched some of the Idaho — CalPoly game.
Not sure what to think of Idaho, and the Big Sky in general.
I also watched a good bit of the NAU/Weber game.

I feel the top four of the SoCon would match up very well with Idaho, and Weber.
I need to watch MTSU play a bit more, I think they're gonna beat the Vandals.
 #76816  by wcugrad95
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:33 am
A bunch of those MVFC and Big Sky teams will have coming losses because they still have some games against each other. In the Big Sky, there are a bunch of games between Montana State, Montana, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Sac St. Teams like UC Davis and Weber St IMO have been playing themselves out of palyoff contention. As fans of the SOCON, I would guess we want to pull for Idaho and Montana St to keep winning to drop the others further down the list for playoff consideration. The MVFC will get their 4 or 5 teams in, but the right kind of losses could help with seeding and match-ups. It would be nice for the SOCON runner-up not to find themselves playing SDSU in the 2nd round or the champ not having to go somewhere like NDSU in the quarterfinals. If we we don't end up with soembody like Furman or WCU getting a decent seed (#4 or better) and we have three or four 8-3 or maybe two 9-2 teams, that is probably what will happen to us vs getting to play teams like William & Mary, Holy Cross, or Delaware. Worst of all worlds is we have a seeded team and another 9-2 team, they meet in the 2nd round, and then the winner goest to the Dakotas. That has been a typical SOCON story of late.
AstroDin, dornb, FUBeAR liked this