#76805  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:26 am
If you think we had a bad day how about #17 Miami losing to a bad GT team on one of the biggest coaching blunders in recent memory. Miami has the ball, first down, with about 30 seconds left. GT has no timeouts. Instead of taking a knee they hand the ball off and fumble, GT recovers with 26 seconds and goes 74 yards in 25 seconds and scores with 1 second left. Give the announcers credit, before the fumble play they said what are they doing? They shoukdn’t be running the ball. They were right.
FUBeAR liked this
 #76807  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:00 am
I was texting back and forth with GMan… that game just had a weird feeling.

I do think Furman was flat; uninspired comes to mind. Maybe we lacked some urgency that we showed against Mercer.
As Clay mentioned, Furman showed some untypical, undisciplined moments. The jumping off-sides and not picking up a player on the fake. I thought during the game, especially late, Furman was frustrated a bit by some of the things that bounced the DOG's way.

That said, I believe in this team, I have no doubt Huff will have some fire in his belly over the next two weeks. If you haven't watched the post-game presser, I suggest you do.
gman84, dornb, FurmanATT liked this
 #76808  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:18 am
Let's talk about some good…

Nick Cannon. Nick has been making big plays on special teams all year. I believe that touchdown was the first of his collegiate career.

Pline is becoming a weapon more and more. CCH mentioned some chippiness from the Citadel and Furman not reacting. The headshot by the Citadel player was unnecessary roughness. I didn't mind seeing Pline get up and react to the hit, I love his spunk, fortunately, he didn't get a retaliation penalty.

Also, Shiflett continues to be a dependable weapon.
dornb, FurmanATT, FurmanATT and 2 others liked this
 #76809  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:22 am
My two cents:

1. We didn't look great, but I'm not one to try and extrapolate a lot of meaning to that. Even Furman's greatest teams have had a dud game. Fortunately, we were able to win this one and the issue never really was in doubt. Furman was never in any real threat of losing the game, everyone just thinks it should have looked more dominant than an otherwise comfortable win.

2. I am not going to complain if I never see Furman run a reverse again.

3. We lacked some killer instinct in the game. Up 28-7 and midway through the third quarter Furman had over 300 yard of offense to Citadel's 99. We had an excellent opportunity to end it there and just didn't drop the axe.

4. I suspect we didn't open up much of the playbook in this one.

5. I'm still waiting for some sort of vertical passing game from Furman. I know its more complicated than this, but it feels like we let defenses pack in tight against us. Almost as though we invite them to do it. Maybe in the second half of the season and as we enter this critical stretch of games, we'll start forcing teams to defend the deep third of the field.
Bootie, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #76827  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
If you think we had a bad day how about #17 Miami losing to a bad GT team on one of the biggest coaching blunders in recent memory. Miami has the ball, first down, with about 30 seconds left. GT has no timeouts. Instead of taking a knee they hand the ball off and fumble, GT recovers with 26 seconds and goes 74 yards in 25 seconds and scores with 1 second left. Give the announcers credit, before the fumble play they said what are they doing? They shoukdn’t be running the ball. They were right.
FUBeAR already has a message out to the Miami AD. He will take $7 million (a million less than the current guy) and promises to be way less of an idiot.

Will let y’all know if FUBeAR hears back …
apaladin liked this
 #76885  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:16 am
apaladin wrote:
I have often mentioned this to friends. When I see a team hand off at end of game I often mention that is just one more opportunity for a fumble. It is an extra transaction. Who IDIOT would do this???????? Just friggin kneel. Instead of center to QB …. WHY Make it center to QB to RB and risk injury to RB as he plows into LOS and maybe a strip fumble. You are adding many more things - which can only go wrong and not help any !

And that’s not results oriented. Like announcers BEFORE play it is always wrong to hand off on last play up only one score. Even up 10+ it is wrong as it risks injury for no reason. Just kneel and leave.
 #76886  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:29 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:29 am
Flush it and forget it. Be glad it wasn't a loss.
Not sure I - nor coach K, possibly top 5 sports coach EVER !!!!! - agree. When Duke was famously crushed by UVA in bball. A booster told him “here’s to forgetting tonight”. K famously replied “ here’s to NEVER forgetting tonight”. LOVE IT. Use everything to fuel your fire. Get pissed and know you can do better !!!

Dave, of course, this is why I am “frightened” every week. ( I can’t say the special word until you ask )
 #76887  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
My two cents:

1. We didn't look great, but I'm not one to try and extrapolate a lot of meaning to that. Even Furman's greatest teams have had a dud game. Fortunately, we were able to win this one and the issue never really was in doubt. Furman was never in any real threat of losing the game, everyone just thinks it should have looked more dominant than an otherwise comfortable win.

3. We lacked some killer instinct in the game. Up 28-7 and midway through the third quarter Furman had over 300 yard of offense to Citadel's 99. We had an excellent opportunity to end it there and just didn't drop the axe.

5. I'm still waiting for some sort of vertical passing game from Furman. I know its more complicated than this, but it feels like we let defenses pack in tight against us. Almost as though we invite them to do it. Maybe in the second half of the season and as we enter this critical stretch of games, we'll start forcing teams to defend the deep third of the field.

This. We must force teams to defend the whole field or the better teams will stop our running game with so many guys packed in tight

To that point we tried to hit Dean? in the end zone and he was open we just overthrew him by an inch. IE after all the setup the deep ball was there.
dornb liked this
 #76889  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
My two cents:

Jackal, #5 should all be in capital letters. Don’t understand the lack of a vertical passing game. We seem to have the talent, so why are we not using it or even attempting to use it?
dornb liked this
 #76892  by gman84
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:05 am
After watching the post game presser and hearing what the locker room was like after this game... I'm hoping this game will be viewed as the turning point in our season. I know I agreed above to flush this one. :D
dornb liked this
 #76893  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:23 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
My two cents:

Jackal, #5 should all be in capital letters. Don’t understand the lack of a vertical passing game. We seem to have the talent, so why are we not using it or even attempting to use it?
Hard to say. I do think there are a few things to be aware of, though.

To start, it is a truism that "downfield passes" are riskier. They have a far less percentage chance of being caught and a much higher percentage chance of ending in a negative outcome (interception, sack, whatever).

The numbers on this are a little interesting. Furman averages 6.72 yards per passing attempt. Samford, one of the nation's prolific passing offenses, averages 7.36. Samford, of course, has over 100 more attempts, but, on average, the Bulldogs attempt passes that are about half a yard further than Furman does.

Furman has two receptions this season over 40 yards - Kindle Dean's catch against USC and Ben Ferguson's long grab against Tennessee Tech. Of note, Dean's catch was thrown by Joshua Harris, not Tyler Huff. Huff is throwing for about 10 yards further per game than he was last season, which is not shocking considering the clock rules have shortened games and possessions.

All that is to say that Furman in 2023 is essentially doing what they were doing in 2022 passing-game wise.

Additionally, I wouldn't read too deeply into what we saw against the Citadel. Furman didn't really need to show all of their playbook coming off a bye week against an inferior team. I could be well wrong, but I imagine we're keeping some powder dry for Samford and Western.
 #76896  by Affirm
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:29 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:29 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:29 am
Flush it and forget it. Be glad it wasn't a loss.
Not sure I - nor coach K, possibly top 5 sports coach EVER !!!!! - agree. When Duke was famously crushed by UVA in bball. A booster told him “here’s to forgetting tonight”. K famously replied “ here’s to NEVER forgetting tonight”. LOVE IT. Use everything to fuel your fire. Get pissed and know you can do better !!!

Dave, of course, this is why I am “frightened” every week. ( I can’t say the special word until you ask )
Agree.
gofurman liked this