#76770  by FU3
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:49 pm
“ . FU got a lot better last year as the season went along”. They certainly did . Many of the usual suspects told us we weren’t going to win another game after Charleston Southern last year.. how did that work out? This wasn’t a good game and despite comments to the contrary a win is well … a win. This is as talented a group as Furman has had in a long time but they need to play with more urgency especially early in games. This coaching staff was absolutely top notch during our run last year, I will be surprised if we don’t see the same thing as we come in to the real meat of our schedule this year.
 #76771  by Stosh
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:21 pm
The next couple of weeks will let us know if we really have a football team this season, but I suspect those who think we're overrated are correct, based on the track record so far, even at an impressive 4 and 1.

They played well against a good Mercer team, even though most would agree the game was a lot closer than the score suggested. And the played a good half (or a good 28-and-a-half minutes) against a solid South Carolina.

But the rest of the schedule so far? They've beaten Kennesaw State, which is 1 and 5 against mostly mediocre competition; beat a 1 and 4 Tennessee Tech that got shut out today by a 3 and 3 team I never heard of; and with the Citadel had a generally unimpressive game against a set of dogs who 2 hours before the game Las Vegas had as 35-point underdogs.

Samford and Western should be actual challenges - it will be great if they're up to them.
bj93 liked this
 #76772  by tim
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:38 pm
Furman has been a very lucky team so far. Without a few defensive holding penalties, fumbled punts etc who knows? Not a top ten I don't think. They will need the luck to continue because of some apparent liabilities.
 #76774  by Bootie
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:45 pm
Man every year some of y'all kill me haha. Here's a small reminder of some posts made by some of our Eyores in mid-season last year, which, despite the gloom and doom assessments, turned out pretty okay:

Have to face it. We have serious issues on defense both players and coaches.

I did not realize WCU set a recod for yards but I knew it was close. You just don’t see FU get torched like that very often. Man it was just a pitiful performance. You can understand a team completing passes but across the field 40 yds downfield and FU had no one within 10 yds when it was caught. I am being very very optimistic in sayng we finish 7-4 or 6-5.

If we cannot beat a terrible Citadel team today I have no confidence in CCH moving forward. In his 6th year, he has shown me very little.

Again a once hopeful season is slowly going down the toiket.
FU3, gman84, din23 and 2 others liked this
 #76781  by jesse174
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:31 pm
Always a tough game for us...and the Bye week didn't help as far as sharpness is concerned...we should be ok with a good week of practice ..
 #76782  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:36 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:38 pm
Furman has been a very lucky team so far. Without a few defensive holding penalties, fumbled punts etc who knows? Not a top ten I don't think. They will need the luck to continue because of some apparent liabilities.
Tim, I think you hit the nail on the head. I would say right now this FU team has been more fortunste, opportunistic per se than good. So far we took forever to put away a bad Tenn. Tech by scoring 21 points in the last 7 mins with help from TTU. Barely beat a winless Kennesaw State team. Was very fortunate to beat Mercer by the final margin, they gifted us a TD and made the score worse, by going for it on 4th down late. That was more like a 21 or 24-14 game instead of 38-14. Today we struggled from the get go. A horrible offense kept the ball for the first 10 minutes and doubled their avg. season output in every category except rushing today. The offense struggled all day aganst a team that everyone has been runnung up and down the field on, even a bad SCSt team. Memo to CCH PLEASE quit calling off the dogs too early. The third quarter is TOO early. He has a history of doing this, WCU last year comes quickly to mind. Today after we went up 28-0 a few starters were in the game but a lot weren’t for example Blackshear was out the whole series on their first TD and only went in on their xp attemot. Once you decide the game is over it does not mean the other team thinks so. Once a team thinks it’s over it is hard to get going again. That is totally on CCH.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #76783  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:45 pm
purplehorse123 wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:44 pm
Two terrible pass interference penalties by us on consecutive plays.

The best word I can think of to describe our play today is UNINSPIRING. It happens. You cannot be up for every game.

Hope we get a whole lot better before next week and take our A game south.
After being off for two weeks and playing in front of the largest crowd of the season you should be fired up, ready to go! They were not.
 #76784  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:53 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:54 pm
I doubt we are a top 16 FCS team. I hope the team will prove my opinion to be wrong.
Hard to argue that. Should tumble in the polls this week. The difference between last year and this year is we’ve seen very little improvement the first 5 games. Who would ever have thought that total offense would be almost even in this game.
 #76785  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:58 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:06 pm
citadel used every play in their playbook and only managed 14 points. We didn’t get past page one in ours. On to Samford!
Yep a season high and double their norm.
 #76787  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:03 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:49 pm
Not a reply to above post. Just sayin That fake FG was nice. We got suckered there. Looked like maybe a pick to free the receiver (. Who was the snapper !)

,citadel pulled a special teams TD on western on a KOR trick and pulled a nice fake FG on us

FYI. Samford is KILLING Woffd
CCH said in the postgame they were worried about trick plays yet on their fake fg we were caught flat when everyone in the stadium knew they were going to fake it especially when they lined up that way. They were 0-5, nothing to lose so why wouldn’t you fake it. Poor coaching.
 #76788  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:14 pm
UNDEFEATED in FCS…ranked #4 in the nation…and miserable.

Y’all entertain FUBeAR
Bootie, FUpaladin08, din23 and 5 others liked this
 #76790  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:14 pm
UNDEFEATED in FCS…ranked #4 in the nation…and miserable.

Y’all entertain FUBeAR
Yep I am afraid the bubble will burst soon if today is any indication. No way you could watch today’s debacle and not have doubts. We will only be #4 for a couple of days. Then again with these voters who knows. W&M beat a hapless CSU team by a TD and didn’t fall but they are in the powerful CAA, lol.
 #76795  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:48 am
I personally am not saying the year is bad. It is not. It is a great year so far!

All I am saying is that wasn’t a great - or even particularly good - performance TODAY. . I doubt many would argue that. Citadel was beaten by Western and Campbell by 40-50 points. CAMPBELL. The Citadel is SC States only D1 win. And they won by 21. If you don’t think we underperformed today go read the score predictions in this very thread. I may have been closest with my most conservative 37-10 guess. And even I had us winning by 27. We won by 14. Most on this very board up thread had us winning by 40 or “backups in by q3”

We do seem to have lulls. I never understand why a guy who hasn’t played in two weeks wouldn’t be especially fired up to hit the field.

I will go on record that if we don’t play better than we did TODAY we will lose in the next two weeks. I don’t think many will argue that point. samford is slightly easier than WCU and UTC IMO

We can play better and will need to