#76748  by Paladin83
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:48 pm
I honestly don’t think we’re that good. Certainly not #4 in the country. We had one game (Mercer) that we really played really well. The penalties are absolutely ridiculous five games in.
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #76749  by furpal81
This is NOT how we should look against an 0-5 team IF we want a conference championship or a run in the playoffs. We are not a #4 team!! WCU will blow us out if we play like this!
bj93 liked this
 #76751  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:00 pm
furpal81 wrote:
This is NOT how we should look against an 0-5 team IF we want a conference championship or a run in the playoffs. We are not a #4 team!! WCU will blow us out if we play like this!
We haven't looked good, but come on.

Furman ended up one of the nation's best teams last year and we beat a terrible Charleston Southern team by 5. Games like this happen.

The season is a long story and today is just a chapter in the book. I'm just glad we were playing a less talented opponent on a day we decided to come out flat.
purplehorse123 liked this
 #76757  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:02 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:01 pm
Game was never in doubt. For some reason we weren’t interested in doing any more than we had to. We will see a different mindset next week.

This is the correct answer.
One. CSU was on the road last year. Without our star center. Without our QB! That’s apples to oranges. This game was at home with everyone healthy.

Maybe. But we lost Jayquan SMith and possibly M Hicks BOTH on last ten plays. That is BAD luck. Dam

I was really liking what I saw in Smith particularly

Please. us know what anyone hears about J Smith or Hicks at RB. Man that was a bummer

If you woulda told me Jones never takes a snap at QB in this game I woulda laughed. Dam

We better play a TON Better the next week or we will lose. A TON better
 #76760  by purplehorse123
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:35 pm
If we were smart I would have spent lots of time the last two weeks preparing for Sammy & Western and very little time preparing for the Citadel. I hope that is what we did.

We will be a different team next week.
 #76764  by Jasper
 Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:43 pm
"a win is a win" cliche is nonsense. This was a terrible performance for a team ranked #4 in the FCS. The Citadel offense is nonexistent so I cannot credit the defense in holding them to only 2 scores. Our offense simply looked awful. We had a hard time running the ball against a team with no run defense all year. Our QB is a tough kid but he cannot throw the ball deep at all. We had two deep pass plays today for sure TD's that he missed badly. No wonder he so quick to pull the ball down when his primary is covered. A decent DC is going to shut down his running with a shadow and make him beat them with his arm. Until he is able to do so our offense is very limited ....and the play calling is severely hampered. FU got a lot better last year as the season went along and I hope will do so again this year. If we don't, I don't think we can beat Samford, Western or Chattanooga in the SoCon much less nationally ranked teams. Those who predict we will just turn it on against the good teams are kidding themselves and need to stay off the Kool-Aid. We looked better in the 2nd game of the year against an SEC opponent than we did today against one of the worst teams in the FCS. How can that be reassuring to anyone? We are either complacent or overrated and the coaching staff needs to straighten that our very quickly.