• Next year

#763  by Paul C
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:09 pm
I'm really excited to see what we will become next year. We lose 4 Sr's off of a great class, and no doubt we will feel their loss. You just don't replace kids like that. But with players like Noah Gurley, Tre Clark, Andrew Taylor, Michael Bothwell and Jalen Slawson moving into the lineup our length and athleticism will improve, especially on the wing and in the frontcourt.

I think Alex Hunter and Jordan Lyons start in the backcourt. With a major contribution from both Fr Andrew Taylor and Mike Bothwell. I expect Jon Jean to see some more time, especially if either Fr has a hard time adjusting to playing defense at this level. Assuming some incremental improvement by both Hunter and Lyons this could be a solid, if small, backcourt. As it stands now, I could see Fr Jalyon Pugh red-shirting.

At the wing positions, I'd imagine Andrew Brown and either Clay Mounce or Noah Gurley are the starters. Regardless who wins the battle between Mounce and Gurley, those three can be a solid rotation. Gurley could be the difference maker here, at 6-8, athletic and with the ability to shoot the 3 he brings a dimension that this years team lacked. The Wild card here is Tre Clark. Probably the most athletic Paladin, the 6-5 Clark could give us that long, quick twitch athlete that can rebound, play defense and maybe even score some points, even if his outside shot is still a work in progress. Mounce needs to work on his shot and add some strength in the offseason to be more of a factor but his improvement during the year was palpable. And maybe Bothwell gets some minutes a the wing as well.

In the post, we have basically the same rotation with Rafferty and Jalen Williams. The light seemed to come on for Jalen at about mid-season, if we can develop some more from there, this will again be a good lineup vs most of our competition, especially if Rafferty can add some strength. The wild card here is Jalen Slawson. Will he come in and contribute immediately in the post and stretch 4 or will he be a red-shirt candidate? The coaches described his potential as "imagine Kris Acox, a couple inches taller, with an outside shot". Sounds good to me if he's close to that.

While it would be irrational to EXPECT the 2018-19 Paladins to be as good as this years team, I think we'll be fun to watch and definitely more athletic. However, if Taylor and Bothwell can come in and make an impact as shooters and scorers, Lyons improves his shooting and shot selection and uses that strong body of his to get the basket effectively, and Noah Gurley lives up to the hype, this team has the potential to finish again in the upper echelon of the SoCon with 10-12 SoCon wins.
Jasper, FU69, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #765  by furpep
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm
I agree 100%. I have been super excited about next year for a whole long while. While I wish Gurley had not been redshirted, it will be good to have him for 4 seasons with those other freshman recruits. I also thin Tre Clark can be a contributor next season. It will be nice having a longer and possibly more athletic team to watch.
 #767  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm
What you guys are saying is that we will not be starting 4 guards like this year. ;)
AllKnighter, furpep liked this
 #771  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:55 pm
I'm super pumped for next year, but what I'm not going to do is forget about other teams like I did this year with all the preseason excitement of our team. I'm sure ETSU will bring in some more transfers. I doubt UNCG and Wofford are going anywhere, and you never know with a Mercer or Samford. Will be very tough as always to win a title. Which is all that matters now after getting to respectability the last few years.
FU69 liked this
 #787  by tya1
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:55 pm
What you guys are saying is that we will not be starting 4 guards like this year. ;)
We probably will at some point in the games. Villanova won a championship just a couple of years ago with a four guard line-up. Talent beats sheer size most of the time.

I do expect a bigger group on the floor next year, though. I think Brown will move over to Fowler's spot and either Mounce, Gurley, or Williams will be a starter up front. There were times during the pre-conference schedule especially that we would have Williams, Beans, and Mounce on the floor for short stretches. Later in the season there were a few minutes with Rafferty, Williams or Beans and Mounce on the court together. I figured that the plan is to eventually move Mounce to the #3 and they were giving him some early experience.

The redshirts should be definite factors next year. Clark showed flashes as a freshman and the redshirt year should prove useful. His ceiling is high if he can show some scoring ability. I think he will be a very good defender and rebounder and a good passer. Gurley may surprise with his ability to beat people off the dribble and has a jumpshot that should be very hard to contest because he shoots with a high release point and, unlike many big guys, actually jumps on his jump shot. Consistency and strength were the areas to improve coming out of high school. He can be a really good college player.

Comparing the incoming freshman class with Sibley, Fowler, Davis, and Beans as high schoolers I think this group of recruits is better overall on offense. The guards are all very good shooters with deep range and are all good going to the basket. Pugh is quick and elusive, Taylor flies by defenders and finishes or dishes off well depending on what the defense does. Bothwell takes it to the hoop with real toughness and strength and draws fouls. And he hits close to 90% of his FTs. They will all have to prove themselves as defenders in college but that is always the question for freshmen in college basketball. The coaches comments about Slawson are interesting because that was my immediate impression too. Just a very good all-around athlete and he hits around 33% of his threes in high school which isn't bad. Slawson isn't a polished offensive player but has great upside if he can develop his skills a little. He had 10 offers according to Verbal Commits including one from ETSU.
 #796  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 am
Met Slawson and his parents at SoCon tourney. Nice young man. I had forgotten his Dad was such a great player for Citadel in late 70’s. All conference for Coach Les Robinson and a member of Citadel Hall of Fame.
furpep, FU69 liked this
 #797  by Jasper
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 am
Very good analysis, Paul. I agree with your take on Jalen Williams. He has tremendous upside with a pro body and if he can be coached up offensively during the off season, he could be a significant inside force for us both ways. A great compliment to Raff's finesse game inside. I too like what we have coming back, especially with the 2 redshirts. As you point out, there is just no way of knowing if the incoming Freshman can make the big jump to college ball right away but they sure have good pedigrees and HS resumes being built in the playoffs. As we just learned, performance at the right time is a big deal.
 #803  by soconjohn
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:17 am
Gurley, Bothwell and Slawson are products of what these four seniors did for Furman hoops...I think folks might be pleasantly surprised at how good Furman is in hoops next season...Not saying the Paladins will win the whole thing, but I think they have more than a shot.
FU69, MNORM, dornb liked this
 #806  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 pm
Hoping for 20 wins again
dornb, FU69 liked this
 #807  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Not sure if these 2 things have been stated yet, but larry hunter at WCU has retired and wyatt walker at Samford is transferring
 #809  by The Jackal
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:04 pm
Interesting post on the Samford forum. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/grand-c ... an-majerle

Lot of interesting info in there. Coordinated efforts by the students and administration to make the basketball games the go-to social event on campus. Efforts by the administration to understand what drives a student to want to go to a basketball game.

In terms of a student body, GCU is much different than Furman. Still, when was the last time our administration asked the students what it would take to get them to a basketball game (I genuinely don't know)?
FU69, dornb liked this
 #818  by fufanatic
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Interesting post on the Samford forum. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/grand-c ... an-majerle

Lot of interesting info in there. Coordinated efforts by the students and administration to make the basketball games the go-to social event on campus. Efforts by the administration to understand what drives a student to want to go to a basketball game.

In terms of a student body, GCU is much different than Furman. Still, when was the last time our administration asked the students what it would take to get them to a basketball game (I genuinely don't know)?
Good read. Certainly helps to have the 19,500 students compared to 2,700, but with 3K students at every game, Furman would have to average like 400 students to have same ratio. That ain't happening currently. At the end of the day you either need a ton of students that like basketball, have school spirit or like to be at can't-miss events on campus. Probably a combination of all three is occurring at Grand Canyon and would need to happen at Furman for student support to increase.
FU69 liked this
 #819  by Fessor
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Good read. Certainly helps to have the 19,500 students compared to 2,700, but with 3K students at every game, Furman would have to average like 400 students to have same ratio. That ain't happening currently. At the end of the day you either need a ton of students that like basketball, have school spirit or like to be at can't-miss events on campus. Probably a combination of all three is occurring at Grand Canyon and would need to happen at Furman for student support to increase.
Basketball attendance may be symptomatic of a larger, more pernicious problem: that Furman is essentially a commuter school (home or elsewhere on weekends) and largely comprised of students who are not attending their first choice of institutions. I wonder if these may be the dirty secrets that aren't shared when alums are solicited for donations.
FU69 liked this
 #820  by CharlieFU
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:16 pm
I actually think there is a different problem and I have stated it before.

when FU cut ties with the Baptists (with which I agreed), and as time has gone by, we are no longer the school of choice (or maybe Furman does not attract these students..) who were life long Baptists and FU was THEIR school growing up. When I was at Fu. 80-84, we had a significant population of those type students--lower to middle class who knew Furman from Baptist circles . We largely do not have those students now and I think we suffer for it. We now have replaced them a wider geographical diversity of students but a higher socioeconomic class generally. Even more Northeasterners who don't know much about FU til they get here. I continue to think that has contributed too lack of loyalty and connection to the school.

Conversely, if we are the commuter school to which Fessor refers, you would think those students would be more likely (not less likely) to support the sports than the population to which I refer, but they don't seem to either.
FU69 liked this
 #821  by Paul C
 Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:33 pm
I guess all those HS Sr's excitedly posting their acceptance letters on Twitter is fake news.
FU69 liked this