• 2024 Recruiting

#76652  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:03 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:40 pm
Utah is sooo late to the table. Dins have been giving out scooters for years and years!

https://x.com/FootbaIIism/status/170976 ... 14230?s=20
Dang - FUBeAR spent almost all of his Freshman Year - Aug-April - on crutches and he couldn't even get anyone @ FU to loan him a golf cart to use...ever. Regular days getting to class, dining hall, training room, etc. were tough. Rainy days were miserable. Snow/Ice days were TORTURE!

Good thing these young men won't have to subject themselves to such character-building opportunities to overcome adversity. They'll be better men because of the easier path they are walking. The great news is that this is coming to a High School near you soon - legal in 30 states already and rapidly growing. And, then down to Middle School and RecBall. Our young athletes will soon be so wonderful - because from the time they demonstrate the slightest bit of talent to play 'at the next level,' every material possession they could ever want will be handed to them immediately and they will want for nothing. FUBeAR cannot even imagine how that will wire them in terms of their future contributions to our society.

Good times!
furpop16 liked this
 #76659  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sad Din wrote:
Utah is sooo late to the table. Dins have been giving out scooters for years and years!

Dang - FUBeAR spent almost all of his Freshman Year - Aug-April - on crutches and he couldn't even get anyone @ FU to loan him a golf cart to use...ever. Regular days getting to class, dining hall, training room, etc. were tough. Rainy days were miserable. Snow/Ice days were TORTURE!

Good thing these young men won't have to subject themselves to such character-building opportunities to overcome adversity. They'll be better men because of the easier path they are walking. The great news is that this is coming to a High School near you soon - legal in 30 states already and rapidly growing. And, then down to Middle School and RecBall. Our young athletes will soon be so wonderful - because from the time they demonstrate the slightest bit of talent to play 'at the next level,' every material possession they could ever want will be handed to them immediately and they will want for nothing. FUBeAR cannot even imagine how that will wire them in terms of their future contributions to our society.

Good times!
This arms race just continues to get absurd. I don’t see how we can get anyone to FU. who has a P5 NIL possibility. Ingle Martin isn’t coming again with easy transfer rules now and with NIL $$$ low level P5 high level G5 will probably be extremely scarce. I mean big time atmosphere PLUS a 10k Nil cash deal on top of the scholarship?

Am I missing something or is going to hurt us worse? Or do some think it helps us Bc we weren’t getting those kids anyway and it keeps NDSU etc from getting them as Illinois can now pay them 5k NIL ?

Thoughts here ? Is NIL Existence better or worse for us relative to other top 25 FCS ?
 #76660  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:48 am
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

Good times!
This arms race just continues to get absurd. I don’t see how we can get anyone to FU. who has a P5 NIL possibility. Ingle Martin isn’t coming again with easy transfer rules now and with NIL $$$ low level P5 high level G5 will probably be extremely scarce. I mean big time atmosphere PLUS a 10k Nil cash deal on top of the scholarship?

Am I missing something or is going to hurt us worse? Or do some think it helps us Bc we weren’t getting those kids anyway and it keeps NDSU etc from getting them as Illinois can now pay them 5k NIL ?

Thoughts here ? Is NIL Existence better or worse for us relative to other top 25 FCS ?

I don't pretend to be an expert on NIL. It seems that the original intent was positive, but without any sort of limits, it's now gotten out of hand.

I am probably not breaking any news by noting that Furman isn't going to engage in the arms race you see at the P5 programs. We can't exist in that arena and are not intending to. Different mission. Different philosophy.
 #76664  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

Good times!

I don't pretend to be an expert on NIL. It seems that the original intent was positive, but without any sort of limits, it's now gotten out of hand.

I am probably not breaking any news by noting that Furman isn't going to engage in the arms race you see at the P5 programs. We can't exist in that arena and are not intending to. Different mission. Different philosophy.
Right. Agree.

My question is how do you all think it will affect us in FCS vs other top 25 FCS ? Will this be a net positive because we aren't really going after those kids anyway and maybe NDSU loses a few recruits now that Minnesota or Illinois can pay a little NIL (if they do - I don't know) ? But if Utah can give a TRUCK to every player.. I would think Minnesota or Nebraska or Wyoming would have a few 1000 bucks for some players?

Thoughts? or do those schools not pay any NIL? I would think ANY P5 has the alumni to pay some amount ?
 #76702  by KingPaladin
 Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Sad Din wrote:

Good times!

Original intent for NIL was for athletes to be able to receive money in exchange for using their "image or likeness" for things like appearances or commercials instead of schools just directly paying them. Its true the lack of limits makes it expand to anything
 #77672  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:43 am
Paladin commits Steven O’Dell, Chase Gregorek, and Bruce Knauber we named to the North/South game. Feel like it’s been a while since we had that many guys in the game. Congrats to these future Paladins!

I’m not sure if these are official measurements but the weights are a little lighter than the Twitter profiles so I assume they’re closer to accurate. Of note, O’dell at 6’6” still (280+). Gregorek 6’4” 272. Knauber at 6’2” 300.

AstroDin liked this
 #78652  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:36 pm
Couple of updates with video on some offensive guys.

Highlights of TC’s 42-7 win. Includes 4 TD passes from Hedden including 3 nice deep balls.

Gavin Hall continues to put up some crazy numbers. Can’t wait to see him wear purple and white!

Devin Hester Jr’s senior highlights

Purple rain liked this
 #78653  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:49 pm
Santino Varvel’s most recent game. 2 TDs

Jordan Miller had a pretty good first half for a 9-1 (?) Arabia Mountain team…

Don’t get to post a lot of stuff about the OL. Broome and Steven O’Dell fell in a tough game to Chapman but O’Dell still makes an impression.

#78654  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:57 pm
Malaki Dobbins and Southern Nash won their region, and Dobbins joins Matt Sochovka’s dad’s East squad in the NC East-West all-star game. Jackson Pryor makes the West squad.

Noah Akinsola (Frisco Reedy, TX) highlights

I continue to be impressed with Knauber. I really like his motor/effort.

#79042  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:51 pm
Don’t know of anymore announced commitments, but being in the top 2-5 for a big chunk of the season makes us even more attractive. Clay has talked about the talent on this team that we haven’t gotten to see play, and believes the incoming class next fall is really strong.
Our good recruiting has really shown up in our depth at most positions. For a long time our first team was good but there was a significant drop off when we substituted. What a difference now.
AstroDin, FUwolfpacker liked this
 #79960  by bigpurple75
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:31 am
I thought we had the ability to sign most of these guys earlier this month. Does everybody have to wait to early February now?
 #79961  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:13 am
bigpurple75 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:31 am
I thought we had the ability to sign most of these guys earlier this month. Does everybody have to wait to early February now?
First week in December is the early signing period. Hopefully all of our commits will sign then.
 #79967  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:23 am
I think it's another advantage to getting a bye week in the playoffs and staying closer to home - can hit the recruiting trail in late November.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.