#76513  by gman84
 Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:32 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:14 am
Would not surprise me if this was closer than some people expect. Not make you sweat until the 4th quarter close, but not 38-7 at half either.

There were some guys banged up, so wouldn’t be surprised if they saw limited (if any) action this week to continue to get ready for the following two games. Also, it’s the citadel. They always play us tough.

With that said, being at home, having a Huff with two good arms (unlike last year), and what looks, to this point, to be a fairly significant talent gap at some important positions should be more than enough for a comfortable win but maybe not behind the woodshed beating.

Speaking of Huff, I know he’s going to do what he’s going to do, but wouldn’t hurt my feeling if he didn’t run quite as much this week. By the time we get to Western, that might determine the SoCon champ if Western beats utc coming up.
Agree, I do not see this as a game that allows us to get people experience. I’ve seen enough “ easy Citadel games “ bite us in the ass over the past 45 years!
apaladin liked this
 #76518  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 01, 2023 5:48 pm
Furman doesn't need to take anyone lightly. Especially a rival. Full stop.

However, on paper, this shouldn't be close. The Bulldogs are averaging less than a touchdown per game and surrendering over 43 points per game. By any objective measure, they aren't a good football team.

The Citadel does not appear to be terribly deep at any position and at several spots are going to give up a lot of size to Furman. They may be plucky for a bit, but I have a hard time seeing them standing up to a four quarter barrage from Furman.

Like every week, we're the biggest game on the Citadel's schedule. They'll come after us, no doubt.
 #76519  by youwouldno
 Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:27 pm
Having the team ready to play is the coaches' job - the fact is that Citadel is horrible, probably the worst FCS team Furman has played in many years . . . Massey has the Paladins as 31-point favorites.
 #76521  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Having the team ready to play is the coaches' job - the fact is that Citadel is horrible, probably the worst FCS team Furman has played in many years . . . Massey has the Paladins as 31-point favorites.

I don't normally agree with you, but I do here.

The Citadel's starting defensive line has an end playing at 215 lbs and a DT at 230 lbs. Their second string line has guys listed at 215, 265, and 220. Simply put, they are going to give up a massive physical advantage to Furman up front.

The Bulldogs haven't stopped anyone's running game to this point. They are giving up close to 230 yards per game on the ground and an average of nearly 6 yards per carry. That's not even counting the passing game, where they surrender over 300 yards a game. Those are abysmal numbers.

Desmond Reid, WCU's talented back, averaged over 9 yards per carry with a long of 23. So, that ypc number isn't inflated by one super long run. He was close to first down yardage every time he touched it.
 #76522  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:

I don't normally agree with you, but I do here.

The Citadel's starting defensive line has an end playing at 215 lbs and a DT at 230 lbs. Their second string line has guys listed at 215, 265, and 220. Simply put, they are going to give up a massive physical advantage to Furman up front.

The Bulldogs haven't stopped anyone's running game to this point. They are giving up close to 230 yards per game on the ground and an average of nearly 6 yards per carry. That's not even counting the passing game, where they surrender over 300 yards a game. Those are abysmal numbers.

Desmond Reid, WCU's talented back, averaged over 9 yards per carry with a long of 23. So, that ypc number isn't inflated by one super long run. He was close to first down yardage every time he touched it.
Not to give any compliments to the bellhops, but Reid has done that to most every non-SEC Team the cantamounts have faced this season...

WCU - Rushing
Player_______Att._Gain_Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.
Reid,Desmond 27 174 4 170 1 19 6.3 - vs Samford
Reid,Desmond 29 177 0 177 1 33 6.1 - @ EKU
Reid,Desmond 13 112 1 111 2 25 8.5 - vs CSU
Reid,Desmond 18 167 0 167 5 23 9.3 - @ CIT
Reid, Desmond 87_630_5_625_9_33_7.2 - Total vs. Non-SEC Teams

Reid is THE REAL DEAL and will need to be tackled to the ground with tremendous tackling form - running feet, eyes up, rolling hips into contact, wrap-up - HANG ON!!! DO NOT LET GO...UNLESS YOUR HANDS/ARMS ARE RIPPED FROM YOUR BODY!!!! - in a few weeks...
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #76525  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:33 am
Reid is an excellent back and is probably the best player in one of the league's best offenses.

I do wonder about whether some program's tendencies to rely heavily on one or two players is a good long term strategy. Reid, for instance, has over three times as many carries for WCU as the #2 guy. Of course, he's their best player, so there's currently good value in giving him close to 20 carries a game.

I think I'd have two concerns.

First, a good defense might be able to key on or two guys. Slow the bell cow, slow the offense. Can you win if a team takes away your star?

Second, if you have post season aspirations, is there enough juice in the tank for a playoff run? Reid is on pace for around 220 carries by the end of the regular season. If you are hoping to play 12, 13 or 15 games, can your best player carry that load that long?

I have no idea the answer. Furman is an interesting contrast to that philosophy as they tend to spread the ball out to a bunch of different players on offense.
 #76526  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:31 am
^^^ I follow Jackal's point.

Furman usually has a few playmakers on offense, but we were exposed when we played APSU, as our offense struggled. Pre-Roper, you saw Furman start bringing in more diverse skill players. The play of Chappell and Hinton speaks to the recruiting acumen of this staff. I'm not sure how Hinton wasn't offered by every CAA school in the Virginia area. The same for Chappell — some FCS schools were caught sleeping.

The Citadel was able to make some plays running the option, and, to my surprise, get outside on the Cats. Did the DOGS give Chatty, Furman, and Mercer a game plan? I think out of those three, Furman, and Mercer could challenge Western's defense with it's playmakers.
 #76527  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:39 am
AstroDin wrote:

Furman usually has a few playmakers on offense, but we were exposed when we played APSU, as our offense struggled. Pre-Roper, you saw Furman start bringing in more diverse skill players. The play of Chappell and Hinton speaks to the recruiting acumen of this staff. I'm not sure how Hinton wasn't offered by every CAA school in the Virginia area. The same for Chappell — some FCS schools were caught sleeping.

The Citadel was able to make some plays running the option, and, to my surprise, get outside on the Cats. Did the DOGS give Chatty, Furman, and Mercer a game plan? I think out of those three, Furman, and Mercer could challenge Western's defense with it's playmakers.
I know last season everyone saw the defense struggle against Western Carolina. I'm not sure everyone remembered that their defense literally couldn't stop our offense.

Now, maybe they have addressed all of that. Still, I'm not sure I'd want to face Furman after they start hitting their stride offensively during the mid-season part of the schedule.
 #76529  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:19 am
A couple of observations:

1. The Citadel appears to have abandoned the flex-bone (but given their need to generate offense, Furman better at least be aware we might see if again). Patrick Covington is the offensive coordinator, and he looks to have installed a more modernized spread system that still utilizes a lot of option elements.

2. They've used two QBs. Fletcher is the bigger of the two at 6'3 220 and probably the better passer. Underwood is more of your traditional option QB - a shorter, thicker, runner type. Neither of them have particularly good passing numbers.

3. The offensive line struggles. SCSU - a winless MEAC team - was playing in their backfield most of the afternoon. It's hard to run an option when the defensive line is at the mesh point.

4. They do have some length in the secondary. Overall, they are not a particularly good tackling team.

They sort of remind me of Furman's teams during the last few years of the Fowler administration - some decent players, undersized on defense, passing game is a lot of easy reads on drag routes and short stuff to backs.

#76532  by wcugrad95
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:47 am
I'll skip on commenting about WCU much in here - Reid is the real deal and honestly the #2 guy would be starting for lots of teams. What I will comment on is that Furman should simply run the ball down Citadel's throat. As pointed out, Western ran the ball a ton in the first half and the Bulldogs had no answer on defense. I expect you can have multiple 100-yard rushers in this game if you want.

Citadel will play more inspired going foward, and will find a way to get up for Furman. But the Paladins should end those hopes quickly IMO.
 #76533  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:50 am
AstroDin wrote:

I get it but we had TON of success with a focus on one RB in the 80s and beyond. At least I think we were all (the whole SoCon) running a primary back in the 80s 20+ times a game. I’m pretty sure Bobby Johnson ran Louis Ivory 30 times once or twice. So I am talking years we make the title game or won it all like 88
 #76540  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:25 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:47 am
I'll skip on commenting about WCU much in here - Reid is the real deal and honestly the #2 guy would be starting for lots of teams. What I will comment on is that Furman should simply run the ball down Citadel's throat. As pointed out, Western ran the ball a ton in the first half and the Bulldogs had no answer on defense. I expect you can have multiple 100-yard rushers in this game if you want.

Citadel will play more inspired going foward, and will find a way to get up for Furman. But the Paladins should end those hopes quickly IMO.

I suspect that will be Furman's game plan Saturday.

I don't take any opponent lightly, and am always happy with any win, but I'm just not sure how the Citadel's defensive front is going to hold the line in this one.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.