• Mercer - Sep. 23

#76318  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:22 pm
The size is fine with me. I just wish we would show more replays, especially if the play seems controversial; maybe the refs missed something.
Bootie liked this
 #76319  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:48 pm
Speaking of Refs - FUBeAR thinks the Refs did a nice job on Saturday.

There was a lot of jawing and a good bit of chippy, cheap extracurriculars (contact) going on. Neither side was letting the other side get the better of them in the verbal or physical aspects of those exchanges. What the Refs did well was just let it be a little chippy while keeping it from getting out of hand. They stepped in between a lot of guys on Saturday and told ‘em to cut the crap and get back in the huddle or on the ball … without ever calling a stupid game-changing penalty for the little junk both Teams were doing…and they could have…easily. They earned their money and didn’t make it about them.

Didn’t see any calls they made that FUBeAR really disagreed with or any that they didn’t make that they should have. FUBeAR heard (from a Mercer fan) that James may have stepped OOB (before the catch) on his TD before the half, but on the replay the FU CB makes a bit of contact with him…so if he did step out, the Ref could have judged he was ‘pushed’ out in which case FUBeAR thinks that would not be an illegal touching penalty.

Any other thoughts on the Officiating? We ream ‘em when they suck…which is most of the time…so thought it might be nice to give ‘em a little praise when they do well.
Bootie, gman84 liked this
 #76323  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

There was a lot of jawing and a good bit of chippy, cheap extracurriculars (contact) going on. Neither side was letting the other side get the better of them in the verbal or physical aspects of those exchanges. What the Refs did well was just let it be a little chippy while keeping it from getting out of hand. They stepped in between a lot of guys on Saturday and told ‘em to cut the crap and get back in the huddle or on the ball … without ever calling a stupid game-changing penalty for the little junk both Teams were doing…and they could have…easily. They earned their money and didn’t make it about them.

Didn’t see any calls they made that FUBeAR really disagreed with or any that they didn’t make that they should have. FUBeAR heard (from a Mercer fan) that James may have stepped OOB (before the catch) on his TD before the half, but on the replay the FU CB makes a bit of contact with him…so if he did step out, the Ref could have judged he was ‘pushed’ out in which case FUBeAR thinks that would not be an illegal touching penalty.

Any other thoughts on the Officiating? We ream ‘em when they suck…which is most of the time…so thought it might be nice to give ‘em a little praise when they do well.

I didn't recognize the ref, but I thought they called a good game.

Even the play that had the potential to be a big one - the holding call on Mercer's punt block/Furman fumbled snap - appeared to be the right call.
 #76328  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:35 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

I didn't recognize the ref, but I thought they called a good game.

Even the play that had the potential to be a big one - the holding call on Mercer's punt block/Furman fumbled snap - appeared to be the right call.
Looks like the white hat was Bruce Austin and best FUBeAR can figure he's only been doing SoCon games since 2019 and he is from a similar nape of the woods as our 'good friend,' Thomas Graham, the white hat for the Samford game last year. Austin is the GM of a TV Station down in Albany, GA. He seemed to be in complete control and also was working well with his Team of Officials. FUBeAR thinks maybe, just maybe, this SEC Officials relationship is starting to pay off...AND the action the SoCon took after the Samford game last year....sent a clear message ... Shenanigans by SoCon Officials to insert themselves and/or their proclivities into Football games will just not be tolerated as it has been for many years.

The Umpire, Jonathan Gibson, made that call on the Punt Snap/Drop/Block. It was absolutely the right call - Defender can't lasso the Punt Coverer and dos y dos with him for a whirl or 2 while he holds on to him...right in front to the Umpire...out in the open...and it was all before the Punt was attempted...so before Possession Change/Possession Loss.

Gibson also made the correct call on the 3rd and Goal from the Mercer 3 play in the 3rd quarter when Huff was forced out of bounds for no gain, which would have brought up 4th and 3.

3rd and 3 at MER3 No Huddle Huff,Tyler rush right for 0 yards to the MER03 (Redding,Myles), out of bounds PENALTY MER Holding 2 yards from MER03 to MER01, 1ST DOWN. NO PLAY.

FUBeAR thinks you kick the FG there - maybe not? - but it didn't matter anyway because a different Mercer Player lasso-tackled and dos y dos-ed with Hicks (FUBeAR thinks it was Hicks) as he was trying to get out into the pattern on the Playside. That's potentially a 4 point swing...maybe 7 if FU goes for it from the 3 on 4th down and doesn't get in. Hicks went in from the 1 on the next play.

2 HUGE plays for Furman and 2 plays where Mercer Players were just not using their noggins...not at all. And 2 plays that the Refs got right. Hallelujah!
 #76335  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:27 am
 #76341  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:00 pm
Yes , very impressed with #7 Hicks and #21 Smith. Those youngsters can scoot with power.

Even with Roberto graduating, Furman should still be loaded in the offensive backfield next season and will add a very impressive running back in the '24 class.
I have kept watching this one.

These are not easy blocks for the offensive line and it's not an easy read for Smith. Excellent athleticism up front and excellent field vision from the running back to find the small running lane.

Unrelated play, but you can also see how difficult it is to tackle Smith one on one too.

#76343  by 'Din Djarin
 Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:46 am
Prayers up for a speedy recovery for Roberto (who is an excellent RB) but I would love to see more of a balance between him and Jaquan carrying the rock. Roberto will always give you steady yardage between the tackles, but Jayquan has that extra gear that can turn a serviceable run play into a home run - much like the sequential pictures above prove!
 #76365  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Yes , very impressed with #7 Hicks and #21 Smith. Those youngsters can scoot with power.
It was also good to see Wayne Anderson back at full speed.
dornb, gofurman liked this
 #76371  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:23 pm
apaladin wrote:
apaladin wrote:

The coaches get a double 'atta boy for Anderson's use.

Anderson had been relatively quiet the first few games of the season. He went out early against Tennessee Tech, and had limited touches the next two games.

Saturday - and to borrow a phrase from KSU's commentators - he was Roy Kent. Rushed for a TD. Had a few catches out of the slot. Returned some kicks.
apaladin liked this
 #76390  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:04 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:12 pm
Coach FUBeAR takes the timeout there 11 times out of 10. It’s practically a no-brainer.
FUBeAR, I get the theory. I do. I am a math dude... lol. But it has blown up on us BOTH times we have used a time out late in the first half... at USC and now Mercer. You have to factor in a penchant for how we allowi big pass plays (which we definitely allow some of these) and, though I am "process" oriented... this has burned us twice. At USC we were overmatched so I get taking a chance. Playing v Mercer in an all-important SoCon match vs a top 25 opponent... I go in 17-0.

In any case, I hope Furman and Mercer win out.
 #76391  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:06 am
apaladin wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Yes, they all have slightly different skill sets. Would hope they all get healthy. Hate that about Grant Robinson... hope KT recovers... maybe he can sit Citadel and have 3 weeks
 #76399  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:41 pm
As a fan of Furman's increased use of the TE position, I enjoyed seeing this play out in real time.

Not completely sure what Mercer's plan was here. They rush three with eight dropping into coverage. I assume the MLB is assigned to spy Huff.

Pline allowed to run free into the backfield. He makes an outside move into a post route. His move draws the safety a few steps to his left, leaving an easy pitch and catch back to the middle of the field between the split safeties.

Over the last two seasons, Roper has shown a real penchant for scheming open TEs near the goal line. Furman completes a lot of seemingly uncontested throws to TEs in the end zone.

I'm going to enjoy watching this play out over the season. Mercer's safeties didn't seem terribly interested in trying to collide with Pline, who has 70 lbs on them. Even if they were in better position to make a play, he's 6'7. When he highpoints the catch, the defenders helmets are at the bottom of his jersey number.
 #76402  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:20 pm
That's going to be an easy 6 most of the time if any defense is going to give Pline that kind of space in the back of the endzone. Play worked great. Dean's out pulls the LB a few steps over, Pline's out moves the safety a couple of steps, and by the time he breaks it back inside there isn't anyone close enough to even have a chance to make a play. Loved seeing it. You could tell there was definitely some jawing going on during the game. Pline's extra step or two to give a little bump to the Mercer player didn't seem like an accident. Nothing over the line, just a friendly "hello" probably! ;)

I watched the highlights back this morning, and I thought this game was the sharpest Huff has looked all year. His RPO throw to Hinton was sharp and well timed. It also felt like the ball was on the right side of the receiver on some of the shorter throws which allowed them to catch and run for more yardage. There were a couple of times that Peavy threw it to a guy running an out and the ball placement made him stop or change direction. The 4th down play where the guy slipped looked like it was partly due to having to adjust to the ball.

The only really bad throw I can remember was the one he tried to squeeze in to Harris between a LB and S that sailed on him and went through the safety's hands. I thought maybe he made the wrong read on one the 3rd down play where they went empty but motioned the outside guy in tight. He threw it to the middle which was a couple of yards short. Shiflet is running an out, and based on the distance between him and the defender, I think he could have gotten to the first down. He could have been tackled short too. Just looked like he was going to have a little space to run. Either way, it was still cool to see. I can't recall seeing Furman run an empty tight formation in a while.
 #76409  by Flagman
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:33 pm
On the highlight video -

"The 4th down play where the guy slipped looked like it was partly due to having to adjust to the ball."

The announcers gave Furman credit for an outstanding open field tackle. We barely touched him.
 #76417  by KingPaladin
 Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:20 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm
apaladin wrote:

Even with Roberto graduating, Furman should still be loaded in the offensive backfield next season and will add a very impressive running back in the '24 class.
I have kept watching this one.

These are not easy blocks for the offensive line and it's not an easy read for Smith. Excellent athleticism up front and excellent field vision from the running back to find the small running lane.

Unrelated play, but you can also see how difficult it is to tackle Smith one on one too.

Word is Smith is a beast in practice, noticed by defensive players