• SoCon/FCS Week 4

#76209  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:45 am
Not a good look for WCU. Up 70-21 they threw a 17 yd TD pass with 4 seconds left. Don’t care who is playing you should be taking a knee then. Talking about rubbing it in.
 #76211  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:58 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:12 pm
Take it FWIW - I still think Mercer is a top-25 team. Furman played a very good game today, but I think this game was at least a little closer than the final score suggests. Furman was clearly better, but it was more like a top-5 or 10 team wearing down and beating a team that is in the back half of the top-25. I lurk here as a former Paladin, so forgive me for posting. I try to only do it around SoCon threads or when you play WCU :-)
Your always objective posting is welcomed - by FUBeAR (another extremely objective poster) - wherever and whenever you post!
 #76214  by Dinforlife
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:41 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:12 pm
Take it FWIW - I still think Mercer is a top-25 team. Furman played a very good game today, but I think this game was at least a little closer than the final score suggests. Furman was clearly better, but it was more like a top-5 or 10 team wearing down and beating a team that is in the back half of the top-25. I lurk here as a former Paladin, so forgive me for posting. I try to only do it around SoCon threads or when you play WCU :-)
I concur. It was definitely closer than a glance at the scoreboard would indicate. I couldn’t start to relax until about 4 minutes left in 4th. Mercer is a good team and, like Jackel said, I’m glad they’re in the rear-view mirror.
FUBeAR liked this
 #76215  by FU3
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:21 am
Lovely rendition of Purple Rain ( at high volume) after the game. Someone remembered our send off by the Mercer faithful after 2021 contest.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #76216  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:03 am
FU3 wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:21 am
Lovely rendition of Purple Rain ( at high volume) after the game. Someone remembered our send off by the Mercer faithful after 2021 contest.
Should become tradition after every home victory. 8-)
 #76217  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:58 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:45 pm
Wofford is among the worst full scholarship programs in division 1 . . . Will be funny to see how long they can go without winning. Wonder what their message board says. Ah right that went away a couple rock bottoms ago.

Citadel amazingly enough is even worse.
Wofford lost to a non scholarship team.

Wofford right now might be the worst team in the FCS.
citadel is now a volleyball school.
 #76218  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:24 am
apaladin wrote:
Not a good look for WCU. Up 70-21 they threw a 17 yd TD pass with 4 seconds left. Don’t care who is playing you should be taking a knee then. Talking about rubbing it in.
Not surprising. Classless coach apparently. CCH Hendrix closed the playbook for last 4-5 minutes of our game with the score much closer because he had respect for a beaten opponent and for the college football GAME. The WCU coach is reaching for recognition at an outmanned opponent's expense. Reminds me of the Georgia Southern coach (now at Army) calling timeouts and throwing with seconds left against FU when he was up 2 scores.
AstroDin, FurmAlum liked this
 #76225  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:16 pm
Western has to play at Nooga (homecoming) on Oct. 7th. That will be an interesting game. They have the next week off before the DINS visit the Wee.

I didn't realize this until I looked at the MOC's schedule. They don't have a bye until after they play Furman on Nov. 4th.

There is a look of SoCon ball left to play for Western, Mercer, and UTC… I think Samford is already cooked.
 #76228  by gman84
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
That is definitely a head scratcher. My opinion… Kerwin Bell wants to move on from the Wee as fast as he can. Turn them from bottom dweller to contender and find a bigger gig.
Jasper, bj93 liked this
 #76229  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:53 pm
Jasper wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Not surprising. Classless coach apparently. CCH Hendrix closed the playbook for last 4-5 minutes of our game with the score much closer because he had respect for a beaten opponent and for the college football GAME. The WCU coach is reaching for recognition at an outmanned opponent's expense. Reminds me of the Georgia Southern coach (now at Army) calling timeouts and throwing with seconds left against FU when he was up 2 scores.

My recollection is the next season (GSU's last in the SoCon), Furman took a knee inside the Eagle 5 when we could have put more points on the board.
 #76230  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:55 pm
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
That is definitely a head scratcher. My opinion… Kerwin Bell wants to move on from the Wee as fast as he can. Turn them from bottom dweller to contender and find a bigger gig.
Honestly, WCU trounced Samford and pollsters still had the Bulldogs ranked ahead of WCU. I don't even think WCU broke into the top 25 after beating a decent EKU team the next week.

Kerwin Bell may just be thinking that if the pollsters won't move WCU up by beating teams, he may have to annihilate them to get their attention.
FUpaladin08, Jasper liked this
 #76232  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:53 pm
Jasper wrote:
apaladin wrote:

My recollection is the next season (GSU's last in the SoCon), Furman took a knee inside the Eagle 5 when we could have put more points on the board.
I recall that . Classy act. Stark difference in mind set by coaches.
 #76233  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:25 pm
gman84 wrote:
apaladin wrote:
No doubt about it. Simply trying to impress the nitwit voters who only look at scores and reputations. WCU is being overlooked in the polls so he takes it out on a hapless and defeated foe. Gotta wonder what he does to an awful team like the Citadel this week.
 #76235  by tya1
 Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:16 pm
Tenn Tech's first win. Kennesaw has been much better at home than away.

I glanced over game play for all the SoCon games. The weather was the true winner of the Wofford- VMI game. A lot of slipping, including a key play where Wofford was going for it on 4th and short but their RB slipped just as he was about to hit the line. Also a lot of dropped balls without contact on attempted handoffs and catches. Didn't look like it was raining that hard on TV but the field was looking muddy and the mishandled balls also said wet. Wofford looked bad and VMI was not much better.

Chattanooga had two INTs for TDs. Samford is dangerous but they got in the hole early. Chattanooga's QB was very sharp when he was making quick reads and quick passes for short and medium gains. He sliced Samford up when he was in rhythm.

The Citadel did not look good.

WCU score speaks for itself.