• Why Alex Hunter is So Mentally Tough

#7569  by furpop16
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:12 pm
Gotta love this kid's family:

[Coach] Richey first had an idea of what he was getting when Hunter reported for his first semester of summer school along with his parents, Gregory and Deborah. Mom is an administrative assistant in the guidance office at Durant Middle School in Raleigh and Dad owns and operates Greg’s Mobile Detail and Hunter & Chavis Trucking, a dump truck service.

Richey sat down in his office with Hunter’s parents.

“This year might be hard because we’re so (experienced) on the perimeter,” Richey told them. “I don’t know what his playing time is going to be like, but just make sure we keep him engaged.”

Gregory Hunter pulled his chair closer to the desk and looked Richey directly in the eyes.

“Coach, that’s the last thing you need to worry about because he doesn‘t have any other options,” Gregory said. “He’s either going to stay here and fight or he’s going to be back home driving a dump truck."

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/art ... 11545.html
gman, FUpaladin08, Fessor and 10 others liked this
 #7573  by Flagman
 Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:58 pm
The great motivator. When I owned my landscaping business, I had a college kid working for me and after a long hot day, I explained to him that this was one reason to get that degree; so he wouldn't be cutting grass for the rest of his life.
furpop16, MNORM, underjack and 1 others liked this
 #7711  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:11 pm
This note from Scott Keeler's http://www.furmansportsreport.com/ jumped out at me regarding Alex Hunter's recent play....

"Over the last three games, the sophomore point guard has 39 points, 24 assists, 16 rebounds, five steals and just three turnovers in 113 minutes played."

That's and 8:1 assist to turnover ratio, playing almost 38 mpg....
furpop16, MNORM, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #7713  by CharlieFU
 Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:34 pm
It helps that he got some good minutes as a true freshman. Getting better and better.

The point was a concern since J Jean transferred (would have been a possible back up) but Bothwell has been good and will only get better with experience, Pugh too.
FUKA61, underjack and 1 others liked this