• Mercer - Sep. 23

#76151  by I-85 Paladin
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:46 pm
Really odd choice to just hand off on 4th down as the clock was stopped on the 3rd down incompletion. Or maybe I'm crazy. Anyways good win and great mid 3rd/4th quarter.
 #76152  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:38 pm
Special teams has been heavily dominated by Furman.
Agree. FG block. Punt fumble by them. Made FGs by us

Except we did mess up our own punt but got bailed

Kickoffs too. I think everyone of Williams kicks were in the end zone. Harper took a few gambles trying to bring them out.
gofurman liked this
 #76153  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:48 pm
Other than about 6 plays and a few penalties, Furman has pretty much dominated this game.

Mercer did what they needed to do early, but the Paladins just wore them down on both sides of the ball.
dornb liked this
 #76157  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:03 pm
That was a nice win over a pretty good team. I was ready to pull my hair out at the end of the first half, but other than that, everything was good. Furman was by far the more physical team.

The offense is starting to get better and the defense was good expect for a few plays. And thank goodness for Tyler Huff.

Was glad to see Wayne Anderson have a good game and also our big tight end Pline make a statement.
dornb, Jasper liked this
 #76158  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:04 pm
Paladin83 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Best football of the year after the two bad series at the end of the half and beginning of the third.

Had an old school feel to it.

Several times Furman lined up in the I formation with a fullback, something you don't see much of. Lot of physical offensive line play. Just got after 'em.

Loved seeing a TD thrown to a 6'7 TE in the back of the end zone.
 #76160  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:04 pm
Paladin83 wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:58 pm
Best football of the year after the two bad series at the end of the half and beginning of the third.

Had an old school feel to it.

Several times Furman lined up in the I formation with a fullback, something you don't see much of. Lot of physical offensive line play. Just got after 'em.

Loved seeing a TD thrown to a 6'7 TE in the back of the end zone.
Great stuff. Just avoid a few big pass plays - end of half and it’s really good. Glad to see a few sacks! Surprised at Peevy mobility
 #76161  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:20 pm
I-85 Paladin wrote:
Really odd choice to just hand off on 4th down as the clock was stopped on the 3rd down incompletion. Or maybe I'm crazy. Anyways good win and great mid 3rd/4th quarter.
Fine with that. Here’s why. Both today and v USC we hurt ourselves playing too aggressive. At end of half v usc we took a timeout or something. Gave them time for a few plays. Same today. Look, up 17-0… 30 seconds left. just let time go no timeout for getting ball back or punt block. As well as they can pass and with our penchant for occasional pass lapse I got worried with that late 2q timeout. And it came back to bite us big with the great drive by them for 7. 17-0 is a great lead at half. Just my opinion
 #76164  by FU3
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:28 pm
Jackal is right ..had an old school feel to this game. We will be a tough out for anyone if we play like this going forward. Loved the way our young running backs played.
AstroDin liked this
 #76165  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:29 pm
Most complete game of the year except the last 30 deconds of the half and start of the second half. Not sure this is a good timr for a week off but Citadel is next.
 #76167  by gman84
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:43 pm
This is a great time for a bye. We have a couple of more guys dinged up. Hopefully nothing serious. Agree that this game had old school feel to it. Can’t say enough about how important our QB runs have been. Other than the time out with 30 secs in the first half (love to know the thinking behind that) and the breakdown on 3rd and 26, we dominated all phases of this game against a very solid team. The key to this game was after Mercer made it 17-14 we old schooled them with a long td drive.
dornb liked this
 #76169  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:59 pm
Three TEs. 250 lbs Chappell motions in behind Toomey and Pline.

FB is 260 lbs DE Jeremiah Jackson.

Watch Jackson hit Mercer's #51, playing inside linebacker. They collide about the 2 yard line. #51 eventually slams down two yards deep in the end zone.

That's old school.

AstroDin liked this
 #76172  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:11 pm
The finisher.

1. Want to see Johanning's impact being back? Watch him cut off Mercer's DT, which allows the center and LG to double team the play side defensive lineman.

2. I love Harris' blocking on this play. Mercer is in man coverage, and Harris essentially runs his coverage into the safety, blocking both of them.

dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #76174  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:32 pm
Started rough, but I wasn’t too worried about our ability to adapt.

Did I see an old-school option play today (keeper by Huff) for decent gain, and then we never ran it again??
dornb liked this