• Kennesaw State - Sept. 16

#75915  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
When you watch a lot of our breakdowns on pass defense, they usually take two forms: crossing/mesh routes where the offense creates a lot of traffic in the middle of the field and wheel routes to guys out of the backfield.

On Benyards long TD reception (not sure why the actual X post isn't working for me anymore), KSU basically just creates a conflict for the DB by crossing the receivers in the middle of the field. The CB goes around the traffic and by that point he's done.

Honestly, it seems sometimes we play too far off the receivers in man coverage. If we aren't going to switch crossers, then I would think we need to reroute them at the line of scrimmage and get in their face.

Change the “x” to “twitter” in the link

Yeah - that looks like Cover 0 - pure Man…and if you freeze it @ 5 seconds, the WR has maybe 20 yards of separation after the deep mesh. Not a DB Coach, so don’t know how to ‘fix’ that, but sumpin’ gotta be done better there or we gonna get meshed to death…like Johnson & Johnson (ooooh…that’s a Coach30 Film Session take combined with a medical & legal IYKYK reference - FUBeAR is really proud of that gem).
bj93 liked this
 #75916  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:58 pm
Furman Sports Report wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53 am
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:56 am
If that's a touchdown, then the rule must've changed this year. Otherwise, Incarnate Word should've played in the national championship last year instead of North Dakota State.
Well…yeah…they shoulda been because of that BS no-fumble call. Was there also a ‘catch’ issue in that game? Don’t remember that, but would like to see it / add it to the FUBeAR cache of evidence. Got a link?
Should be set up to start at the 11:46 mark. Initially ruled a touchdown. Overturned because receiver "didn't maintain possession" throughout the catch. Had both hands on it, took two steps in the end zone and starts to bobble the ball after he's already stepped out of bounds. Ball never touches the turf. Complete insanity this was overturned.

It was more of a catch than Kennesaw's in question.

https://youtu.be/k97_h_oeqUA?si=uGL1VtEF9Y4W76fh&t=706
Yeah - looks like a catch to FUBeAR.

This is (one of the many reasons) why you don’t wanna go play in Fargo in the Semis…really a Top 2 Seed is almost necessary to give your Team a fair chance of winning the National Championship. But, IFBO, Furman could win the next 8 games by 50 points each and the best we would get now would be a #5 seed. It’s really a rigged system. Needed to beat South Carolina, win the other 10 in dominating fashion, have the Gamecocks get themselves ranked…and, then we MIGHT have gotten a 3 or 4 seed.

The (possible) differences in this play, ruled a non-catch and KSU’s ruled a catch are…
1) both took 2 steps in Endzone after catch, but KSU Player turned away from Defender - more of a “Football Move” than just running from momentum … maybe
2) Ground dislodged the ball out of Endzone vs. Defender dislodging ball while receiver was still in Endzone. No idea, within rules, why either of the 2 parts of each of these 2 differing conditions would more or less likely lead to a catch ruling. Just noting the differences.

TBH - biggest thing in both cases - the non-review of the KSU ‘catch’ and the WTF ruling after review of the UIW ‘non-catch’ is HOME COOKIN’

Note…FUBeAR is overruling hisself … after 1 more review … yeah UIW made no Football Move..step, step, fall…ball bounces out of control and he doesn’t regain control inbounds. In the NFL, they use the specific language of “turn upfield” to describe one “Football Move.”…think that’s the difference here, the KSU receiver turned upfield & away from the approaching defender, i.e, he did a “Football Move”…Ref’s got ‘em both correct due to the ‘elusive’ “Football Move” criteria.
 #75918  by Louis Tully
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:51 pm
Tyler Huff FCS offensive player of the week honorable mention by the analyst.com.

FedEx Ground FCS National Offensive Player of the Week

Nic Baker, Southern Illinois, QB, Sr., 5-9, 202, Rochester, Illinois

Baker was in command of the second half of the 91st War of the Wheel rivalry game, passing for 404 of his 458 yards to rally his Missouri Valley squad to a 26-25 win at then-No. 13 Southeast Missouri. He was 37-for-51 overall with three touchdowns, including the game-winner on a nine-yard, fourth-down connection to Izaiah Hartrup with 11 seconds remaining. Baker, who had two interceptions in the first half, has three career games above 450 passing yards and 11 with three or more TD passes.

Honorable Mention: Jeff Caldwell, WR, Lindenwood; Coulter Cleland, QB, Davidson; Jermaine Corbett, TB, Stonehill; Kinkead Dent, QB, UT Martin; Mike DiLiello, QB, Austin Peay; Tyler Huff, QB, Furman; Cam Miller, QB, North Dakota State; Brandon Porter, WR, UIW; ShunDerrick Powell, RB, Central Arkansas; Desmond Reid, RB, Western Carolina; NaQuari Rogers, RB, Campbell; Sam Schnee, WR, Northern Iowa; Matthew Sluka, QB, Holy Cross; Jake Wilcox, QB, Brown
QCGlue liked this
 #75919  by Louis Tully
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:57 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:58 pm
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:53 am
Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:56 am
If that's a touchdown, then the rule must've changed this year. Otherwise, Incarnate Word should've played in the national championship last year instead of North Dakota State.
Well…yeah…they shoulda been because of that BS no-fumble call. Was there also a ‘catch’ issue in that game? Don’t remember that, but would like to see it / add it to the FUBeAR cache of evidence. Got a link?
Should be set up to start at the 11:46 mark. Initially ruled a touchdown. Overturned because receiver "didn't maintain possession" throughout the catch. Had both hands on it, took two steps in the end zone and starts to bobble the ball after he's already stepped out of bounds. Ball never touches the turf. Complete insanity this was overturned.

It was more of a catch than Kennesaw's in question.

https://youtu.be/k97_h_oeqUA?si=uGL1VtEF9Y4W76fh&t=706
Yeah - looks like a catch to FUBeAR.

This is (one of the many reasons) why you don’t wanna go play in Fargo in the Semis…really a Top 2 Seed is almost necessary to give your Team a fair chance of winning the National Championship. But, IFBO, Furman could win the next 8 games by 50 points each and the best we would get now would be a #5 seed. It’s really a rigged system. Needed to beat South Carolina, win the other 10 in dominating fashion, have the Gamecocks get themselves ranked…and, then we MIGHT have gotten a 3 or 4 seed.

The (possible) differences in this play, ruled a non-catch and KSU’s ruled a catch are…
1) both took 2 steps in Endzone after catch, but KSU Player turned away from Defender - more of a “Football Move” than just running from momentum … maybe
2) Ground dislodged the ball out of Endzone vs. Defender dislodging ball while receiver was still in Endzone. No idea, within rules, why either of the 2 parts of each of these 2 differing conditions would more or less likely lead to a catch ruling. Just noting the differences.

TBH - biggest thing in both cases - the non-review of the KSU ‘catch’ and the WTF ruling after review of the UIW ‘non-catch’ is HOME COOKIN’

Note…FUBeAR is overruling hisself … after 1 more review … yeah UIW made no Football Move..step, step, fall…ball bounces out of control and he doesn’t regain control inbounds. In the NFL, they use the specific language of “turn upfield” to describe one “Football Move.”…think that’s the difference here, the KSU receiver turned upfield & away from the approaching defender, i.e, he did a “Football Move”…Ref’s got ‘em both correct due to the ‘elusive’ “Football Move” criteria.
At game speed and if official is in proper position and paying attention that is a touchdown. Catch, feet down, ball punched out. Touchdown as soon as feet hit the ground.
 #75920  by Louis Tully
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:59 pm
According to the booth from above:

The is no irrecusable evidence to overturn the play. The call stands.
 #75928  by FurmanATT
 Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:34 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:58 pm
FUeveryday wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:13 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:58 pm
Meanwhile, back in the real world. #Paladins https://wellpilgrim.wordpress.com/2023/ ... k-to-work/
-- MD
Nice write-up but I disagree that the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain was "modest" At a loss of only about 700 Confederate soldiers they inflicted over 3,100 Union casualties. While Johnston won a tactical victory, he had not altered the strategic situation with Sherman failing to achieve his primary objective to split through the Confederate center line. He learned from this and changed his assault tactics for the rest or war
“On this particular Saturday, it’s to a place northwest of Atlanta known mostly for a modest mountain and a Civil War battle.”

The mountain is modest. The Civil War battle is unmodified.
[/quote
"Modest" was meant to modify the mountain, not the battle. I've been to the battlefield. -- MD
 #75939  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:53 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm
When you watch a lot of our breakdowns on pass defense, they usually take two forms: crossing/mesh routes where the offense creates a lot of traffic in the middle of the field and wheel routes to guys out of the backfield.

On Benyards long TD reception (not sure why the actual X post isn't working for me anymore), KSU basically just creates a conflict for the DB by crossing the receivers in the middle of the field. The CB goes around the traffic and by that point he's done.

Honestly, it seems sometimes we play too far off the receivers in man coverage. If we aren't going to switch crossers, then I would think we need to reroute them at the line of scrimmage and get in their face.

Change the “x” to “twitter” in the link

Yeah - that looks like Cover 0 - pure Man…and if you freeze it @ 5 seconds, the WR has maybe 20 yards of separation after the deep mesh. Not a DB Coach, so don’t know how to ‘fix’ that, but sumpin’ gotta be done better there or we gonna get meshed to death…like Johnson & Johnson (ooooh…that’s a Coach30 Film Session take combined with a medical & legal IYKYK reference - FUBeAR is really proud of that gem).

It seems to me that there's just something in the style of football we play that may well leave us susceptible to these slow developing routes.

I've got no issue at all with our DBs ability to come up and make tackles. Teams do not have much success against us trying to get the ball on the edge.

I also do not see teams having a lot of success trying to work the ball over the middle. Our linebackers are all 6'2+ and our starting defensive line is all 6'3+ and it may not be worth it to try to throw into that forest with any regularity.

The one spot where we seem to get beat is on slow developing routes to the deep third of the field, especially in max protection from the offense. Some of that is pressure. Some of it may be stylistic and just "how we play."

I'd love to hear Hendrix's thoughts on it one day. It could be that these deep crossing routes may just be the price we pay for our willingness to aggressively attack the edge run/screen game.
 #75940  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:30 am
Another example of sorts.

This is just my speculation, but KSU is running what appears to be an RPO. The QB is reading Hugh Ryan. When Ryan drops into the box, the QB pulls the ball and throws the post.

It appears Yates (22) is in man coverage with inside leverage - he is well inside the receiver and his eyes are on the receiver, not the backfield.

Again, I'm no defensive back, but where I'm getting confused is that we have no apparent help in the middle of the field. We're playing inside leverage, but allow the receiver to run the post. Ok, fine. But then there's no help. There's no defender in the middle of the field.

It feels like we are so committed to stuffing the run - you can see all six box defenders plus Chizik in the nickel and Ryan at safety attack the run - that we just don't have enough guys committed to stopping the pass.

I have no idea what the technique is supposed to be here. It looks again like man coverage but playing well off the receiver. We aren't rerouting anyone. We aren't forcing them to go where they don't want to go. This is basically wide open pitch and catch. The ball isn't even particularly well thrown.

I realize defensive football is some amount of guess work. It seems to me like Kennesaw in the second half was doing a really good job of running when we thought they'd be passing and passing when we thought they'd be running.

Honestly, our defensive play calling may be akin to a "guess hitter" in baseball. Go for broke on a lot of swings. Sometimes you'll hit a homer. Sometimes you won't come within 5 feet of the ball.

#75941  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:02 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:30 am
Another example of sorts.

This is just my speculation, but KSU is running what appears to be an RPO. The QB is reading Hugh Ryan. When Ryan drops into the box, the QB pulls the ball and throws the post.

It appears Yates (22) is in man coverage with inside leverage - he is well inside the receiver and his eyes are on the receiver, not the backfield.

Again, I'm no defensive back, but where I'm getting confused is that we have no apparent help in the middle of the field. We're playing inside leverage, but allow the receiver to run the post. Ok, fine. But then there's no help. There's no defender in the middle of the field.

It feels like we are so committed to stuffing the run - you can see all six box defenders plus Chizik in the nickel and Ryan at safety attack the run - that we just don't have enough guys committed to stopping the pass.

I have no idea what the technique is supposed to be here. It looks again like man coverage but playing well off the receiver. We aren't rerouting anyone. We aren't forcing them to go where they don't want to go. This is basically wide open pitch and catch. The ball isn't even particularly well thrown.

I realize defensive football is some amount of guess work. It seems to me like Kennesaw in the second half was doing a really good job of running when we thought they'd be passing and passing when we thought they'd be running.

Honestly, our defensive play calling may be akin to a "guess hitter" in baseball. Go for broke on a lot of swings. Sometimes you'll hit a homer. Sometimes you won't come within 5 feet of the ball.

Yeah - that’s 4-2-5 Man which becomes a 4-4 when the RB dives & the TE pass sets (as he is Ryan’s man) leaving 3 receivers in the pattern. Chizik would have the RB if he went out his way and the LB (Scianna?) would have him if he went out to his right. When he dives, the LB ‘covers’ him by hitting him under the chin (nice!).

Just guessing…maybe when RB dives right, Nickel should immediately roll back to middle of the field, but that IZ so often bounces backside, not sure that makes sense either.

Oh well…FUBeAR ain’t gonna become a Secondary Coach or a DC any time soon…so, maybe we were just ‘dipped in it,’ as Coach Caldwell would sometimes say, on that play. Looks like if Gilbey hadn’t cut his fingernails that morning he mighta knocked that one (delivered by their 5’ 2” QB - if he’s 6’ FUBeAR is formerly the starting Center for the Lakers) down. The WR made a nice snag on a pretty bad pass at his sock tops…and FUBeAR read something about him reaching 75 mph (something like that) according to PFF (or some authoritative source) vs. Chatt, which was the fastest anyone in the NCAA reached that week…so…he’s pretty fast…and made a nice run. Great job by #1 to catch him.

Maybe more press at the line would help…but maybe…that also tips coverage too soon and increases risk of giving up deep ball.

All this to say….FUBeAR is glad he was/is a savant of Offense. Can’t understand why anyone would make the foolish decision to Play/Coach on the wrong side of the ball.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.